PDA

View Full Version : 4x5 Pinhole Thoughts - An Ill Advised Adventure

LoFiPin
4-Jan-2018, 23:46
Howdy all,

I've been shooting 4x5 pinholes for the past few years in a very "DIY" manner - homemade cameras, photographic paper, and homebrew Caffinol C developer. I scan the negative and invert the image digitally. This has been a cheap and fun experiment which requires long exposures and results in very Lo-Fi images that kind of resemble old albumen prints.

I got my hands on one of the Rockland Colloid "Tintype Parlour" ferrotype kits, as it seems much in the same vein as albumen prints. My research suggests that jumping into dry plate process is ill advisable, but film doesn't interest me in the least and I'd much prefer to waste my time fooling around with dry plate. It cannot be any more frustrating than a marginal pinhole, iffy paper, and instant coffee...

SO, that being said. I'd love to build my own LF camera that is nicer than a beer can or shoebox. But I have two other "building" hobbies as it is, and cameras just aren't in the mix. As such, I'd like to find a nice 4x5 pinhole camera that accepts film holders and doesn't require my shop space or time.

I've narrowed it down to:
- The Santa Barbara Lensless Super Wide Angle 4x5 (https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/151567-REG/Santa_Barbara_SWA2B_4_x_5_Pinhole.html)
- The Perle Cubo 4x5 (https://www.etsy.com/listing/496292066/pinhole-camera-perle-cubo-10x10cm?ref=related-3)

Does anyone have experience or thoughts on either?

OR...should I just be ritzy, bite the bullet, and do an Intrepid 4x5? This is what I would really like, but once you add in the lensboard and filmholders it's way beyond what I'd prefer to afford.

Remember, the goal here is pseudo-janky-cheap Lo-Fi photography through unusual processes. Or, an Intrepid if I can be thoroughly convinced. ;)

Cheers!

LabRat
5-Jan-2018, 00:22
About the film holders, used 4X5's cost about $5 each, so that won't break the budget, and having the ability to kwik-change films or paper in the field is a no-brainer...

Wet plates + pinholes take a long time to expose as they are even slower than your paper negs...

Having a camera with lensboards will allow greater range of possibilities, as you can use pinholes, lenses, and even try making your own lenses...

Plenty of cheap 4X5's out there... You don't even need to build...

Film does nice stuff too, so never say never...

Go for it!!!

Good Luck!!!

Steve K

Vaughn
5-Jan-2018, 01:11
A beat-up Speed or Crown Graphic as a 4x5 pinhole camera.

Havoc
5-Jan-2018, 02:04
I second the use of standard 4x5 film holders. Here in Europe they are far more expensive than the $5 mentioned, but being able to change he film without having to handle the whole "camera" is just so much easier. Also a lot easier than having to change the film inside a camera and you can take a few of them along.

For the camera itself, if you have other "building" hobbies then I'd try to mix in a camera. You want it low-fi, so just don't spend weeks on it. After all it shouldn't be more than a more durable and slightly more elaborate shoebox. There are enough plans on the net that are nothing more than a few pieces of wood, saw at a diy shops glued together. Just resist that building cameras becomes the hobby.

xkaes
5-Jan-2018, 06:11
Check out the BOTTOM section of this page:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/close-up.htm

You can either build or buy a 4x5 (and "lenses" and "shutter") for very little money. Necessity is the Mother of Invention.

Two23
5-Jan-2018, 06:24
Couldn't you just build a camera out of Legos? Steal them from your kids. Check it out:
https://carynorton.com/legotron-mark-i/

Kent in SD

Chuck Pere
5-Jan-2018, 06:48
If you are looking for ultra wide angle use make sure any "real" camera you buy will be able to adjust the standards close enough for the focal length you want. I know my 8x10 pinhole with a 3in focal length would be hard to do on most 8x10 cameras.

Jim Jones
5-Jan-2018, 08:02
An inexpensive press camera has several advantages over the Santa Barbara or Perle Cubo. The focal length can be varied. Various pinholes, zone plates, or funky old lenses can easily be interchanged. These cameras can usually be expanded into a versatile kit. Build quality may be better than in home-made or commercial pinhole cameras. All of these features favor the photographer who is more interested in making the best possible pinhole images. However, if doing the most with the least is more important than the quality of the final image, anything will do.

faberryman
5-Jan-2018, 08:09
I am surprised no one has mentioned the Ilford Harman Titan. It accepts standard 4x5 film holders. I would recommend it for a pinhole camera before a press camera.

Oren Grad
5-Jan-2018, 08:44
I have the Lensless 4x5 Super Wide that B&H sells, and which you linked. It's simple, does the job, price is right. It comes with three extra pieces of wood that you want to be careful not to lose - a thick, flat panel that you can leave in the camera when it's not being used to keep dust out, and a couple of wooden cylinders/dowels of different diameters that you wedge into the back to keep the film holder or dust shield firmly in place. The light seal is maintained by a foam rubber gasket around the back opening that will surely deteriorate at some point, but should be easy to replace if and when it does. I've had mine for several years, with admittedly minimal use, and so far there's no sign of deterioration in the seal just from it sitting around.

paulbarden
5-Jan-2018, 09:19
LoFiPin,
Are you familiar with this 3D printed 4x5 camera design? https://www.diyphotography.net/3d-printed-4x5-inch-pinhole-camera/
My friend Todd Schlemmer designed this, and I have printed several of them. It’s an excellent camera. If this appeals to you, I would gladly send you one, complete with one 4x5 film holder, for the cost of shipping.

Sample image created with this camera:
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5579/14896699988_43501b9dde_b.jpg

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2018, 09:43
Just don't try making a pin hole camera out of a frozen turkey.

paulbarden
5-Jan-2018, 09:51
Just don't try making a pin hole camera out of a frozen turkey.

For obvious reasons (Salmonella!) you will want to cook it first. Obviously.

dasBlute
5-Jan-2018, 09:59
Frankly, can't beat Paul's offer, but I've built a scaled up version of this: http://pinhole.stanford.edu/foamcore.html
using foam core, gaffer's tape, and a laser drilled pinhole; cheap and easy-peasy.

Graham Patterson
5-Jan-2018, 11:46
I find my cigar-box pinhole camera is better than using a pinhole on my 5x4 (lighter, shorter pinhole to film distance). In my case the hinged box lid acts as the clamp for the 5x4 film holder.

John Kasaian
5-Jan-2018, 12:49
For obvious reasons (Salmonella!) you will want to cook it first. Obviously.

Salmonella was the least of my problems with that fowl contraption, lol!

paulbarden
5-Jan-2018, 13:13
Salmonella was the least of my problems with that fowl contraption, lol!

This is undoubtedly my favorite pinhole camera EVER:
https://bagofstash.files.wordpress.com/2008/05/3rd_eye-front.jpg

Wayne Belger's "Third Eye" camera. Read more about Wayne here. (https://bagofstash.wordpress.com/2008/05/17/wayne-martin-belger-pinhole-photography/)

LoFiPin
7-Jan-2018, 01:04
Hi all,

Thanks for the excellent response! I suppose I should clarify: cameras that fall in the $150+ range are out of the question, as I firmly believe I could build a nice camera for less than that in parts. But I truly don't want a building project. And doing the most for the least is certainly the name of the game.

1) What is a "cheap" press camera? I've looked at Speed and Crown Graphics and they all appear to be in the $200-$1000 range.

2) You have me firmly convinced on film holders.

3) Paul's offer seems to be pretty unbeatable (I'll take ya up on it! :D)

4) Reciprocity failure is going to be interesting with dry plates and pinholes...

Thanks!

xkaes
7-Jan-2018, 05:25
I suppose I should clarify: cameras that fall in the $150+ range are out of the question, as I firmly believe I could build a nice camera for less than that in parts. But I truly don't want a building project. And doing the most for the least is certainly the name of the game.

I "get" it. You've fallen into an unseen trap. Whether on this Forum, or anywhere else, when words like "inexpensive" or "easy" are used, they mean different things to different people. Some will see a $500 camera as "cheap" and not understand why or how anyone else could see it differently. Someone with plenty of time and tools will see a project as "easy" while for others it's basically impossible.

Good luck separating the wheat from the chaff.

paulbarden
7-Jan-2018, 08:26
Hi all,

3) Paul's offer seems to be pretty unbeatable (I'll take ya up on it! :D)

4) Reciprocity failure is going to be interesting with dry plates and pinholes...

Thanks!

I’ve responded to your PM. :-) I think you’ll find Todd’s PinHead 4x5 Camera easy to work with and produces excellent results.
As for reciprocity compensation, I strongly urge you to get the Pinhole Assist (Pinhole Assist by Le bord de la piscinehttps://itunes.apple.com/us/app/pinhole-assist/id466757473?mt=8) app for your smartphone. It turns your phones camera into a light meter and can calculate reciprocity for every film and aperture combination, and it is surprisingly accurate. I use Pinhole Assist exclusively.

HMG
7-Jan-2018, 11:00
Random thoughts:

I seen 4x5 pinholes made from black foamcore that mate to a 4x5 film holder. Rubber bands hold the "body" to the film holder. I think best bet for cheap 4x5. Similar to Todd's 3D printed version though not as fancy. There are people/places that will 3d print from a plan you provide.

A friend who does excellent pinhole work uses a 6x9 Agfa Isolette with the lens removed and replaced by a pinhole. The shutter remains. Great way to repurpose an Agfa Isolette with frozen focus. I just did this with a 6x6 folder but have yet to test it out.

I just built a simple 4x5 pinhole from a metal cookie tin to do pinholes with my granddaughter. I used small magnets to hold paper in place. Would work for film too. I've toyed with the idea of using a large tin with 5 holes. One in the center for an 8x10 and one toward each corner for 4 4x5s (probably need a baffle inside). The idea is that you can do 4 test exposures with a single load/unload. Then your "final" exposure with the center hole on a fresh sheet.

LoFiPin
8-Jan-2018, 21:26
I "get" it. You've fallen into an unseen trap. Whether on this Forum, or anywhere else, when words like "inexpensive" or "easy" are used, they mean different things to different people. Some will see a $500 camera as "cheap" and not understand why or how anyone else could see it differently. Someone with plenty of time and tools will see a project as "easy" while for others it's basically impossible.

Good luck separating the wheat from the chaff.

Precisely. This is something anybody will encounter in any pursuit, and I should have clarified sooner. It's clear that LF can develop a significant budget of it's own if one so chooses. Thanks for the subclub link, that's a wealth of information.

LoFiPin
8-Jan-2018, 21:28
All, thanks for your input! Paul has kindly helped this "noob" out, and if I get the itch to actually build a camera you've provided a wealth of suggestions and information! Thanks!