PDA

View Full Version : Harman Direct Positive Paper didn't fit in my film holder ...

Dikran
4-Jan-2018, 17:47
I never worked with Harman Direct Positive Paper until now. I had ordered a package some time ago.
Today I wanted to feed my 8x10 Lisco film holder with this paper but it didn't fit... it seems to be to thick ... any idea?
Thanks!
Peter

paulbarden
4-Jan-2018, 18:33
I never worked with Harman Direct Positive Paper until now. I had ordered a package some time ago.
Today I wanted to feed my 8x10 Lisco film holder with this paper but it didn't fit... it seems to be to thick ... any idea?
Thanks!
Peter

Hi Peter,
Its probably not too thick, its too wide (and maybe too long). The paper is exactly 8 X 10 inches, but 8X10 film holders are about 1/16th of an inch less than that. I seem to recall that I had to trim a tiny bit off both the side and top of the paper to fit into a standard film holder. You can verify this by measuring the Harman paper - if its exactly 8X10 inches, then you know you need to trim about 1/16th inch off.

AuditorOne
5-Jan-2018, 01:18
Waste a sheet and check it out in the daylight. That way you will know exactly what you will need to do.

Havoc
5-Jan-2018, 02:07
I had the same experience last weekend with Imago direct positive! Turned out that it is because the way it is packed. It is a cardboard flap with in it the film and the outside 2 films are stored with the sensitive side against each other. Didn't feel this but they sticked so well together that I was trying to put the 2 sheets together in a holder. Only noticed when I sacrificed those. The rest is just layered as expected.

ottluuk
8-Jan-2018, 03:28
I had the same experience last weekend with Imago direct positive! Turned out that it is because the way it is packed. It is a cardboard flap with in it the film and the outside 2 films are stored with the sensitive side against each other. Didn't feel this but they sticked so well together that I was trying to put the 2 sheets together in a holder. Only noticed when I sacrificed those. The rest is just layered as expected.

I've encountered this with Harman DPP 4x5 (FB Glossy) as well: sometimes two sheets stick together and this is hard to notice with a dim red safelight. A two-paper sandwich won't slide into a standard 4x5 holder. Fortunately they are easy enough to pry loose by fumbling with the corners a bit. Not sure how likely this would be with 8x10 material – I have only handled 4x5.