PDA

View Full Version : What to do for a case for a Kodak 2D 11x14 camera?

healyzh
29-Dec-2017, 19:09
Currently I'm using a boxfan box, that's had some padding added, and that I've used Duct Tape to reenforce, to house my 11x14 camera. I'm wondering what others, especially others with a Kodak 2D are doing.

Thanks,
Zane

LabRat
29-Dec-2017, 19:20
I would start by hitting the thrift stores for a hard or soft walled suitcase... Keep looking to see what else shows up, like fiber or (heavier) Anvil type cases...

A woodworker can make a nice lightweight case from thin sheet plywood with a wood or thin angle aluminum frame...

Or buying or making a fabric pouch-like case, or a backpack/frame like rig...

Or shell out $$$ for something custom or out there now...

Steve K

Whir-Click
29-Dec-2017, 19:23
For my 11x14 Korona, with very similar dimensions, I’m using a “Gator Cases G-MIXERBAG-2118 Padded Nylon Mixer/Equipment Bag.” It is soft sided, and can fit two film holders in the outer zippered pocket.

healyzh
29-Dec-2017, 19:31
I would start by hitting the thrift stores for a hard or soft walled suitcase... Keep looking to see what else shows up, like fiber or (heavier) Anvil type cases...

An old heavy-duty 1960's or 70's era suitcase was my original Deardorff V8 case. I upgraded to a Thinktank pack earlier this year.

A woodworker can make a nice lightweight case from thin sheet plywood with a wood or thin angle aluminum frame...

I was leaning towards something like this, but wondering if anyone knew of a better solution. Realistically this is a better solution than where I was headed. I'd not considered an Aluminum frame. I'll need to look into this option.

Something I have considered is a Pelican 1630 or 1640.

Thanks,
Zane

Greg
30-Dec-2017, 16:46
I have an 11x14 Chamonix. Found a very well padded used TENBA cloth case that the 11x14 and 2 or 3 film holders fit into quite nicely. I was then able to put together an insert made of corrugated plastic board that I found art a Dick Blick Art store. It added rigidity and some protection to the camera, holders, and case. The insert was constructed with duct tape on the outside where the boards met and a generous amount of hot glue running along the inside seams. Bottom of the fabricated insert is comprised of 4 sheets of the corrugated plastic board, each sheet being at a 90 degree angle with the one underneath it. Whole case is very light when empty. I have been amazed at how well the case has held up. Once a friend accidentally bumped into the loaded case and knocked it over on its side (a heart stopper to watch), but the contents remained unharmed. Total cost was well under $100. The TENBA case has only a "TENBA" tag on it and no model number. Inside measures (very) approximately 7" x 22" x 20" deep. Top has a zippered opening flap and 2 handles. I've seen other cases like the one I acquired remain unsold on that auction site, and the asking prices were well under $100.

Also have a hard sided Pelican for the 11x14 but prefer the TENBA because when loaded it is a whole lot lighter to carry around.

Per the next post, the corrugated plastic material is called Coroplast... thanks Randy Moe

Tin Can
30-Dec-2017, 17:07
I bought this. Very light, cheap and very protective. Fits 11x14, a giant dark cloth and one lens in a case. Holders are separate in a 5 holder padded case. One for each hand. I don't use the side bag, it removes. It would fit a holder maybe 2, but it's not padded well. I added full case size sheet of 10mm Coroplast to protect the GG.

http://gatorcases.com/products/mixer/lightweight-polyfoam-mixer-cases/gl-mixer/18-x-22-mixer-case-g-mix-l-1822/

I don't backpack. I put it inside my pickup cap covered in a Bed Rug and it becomes invisble.

dentkimterry
30-Dec-2017, 17:45
I bought the Gator case for my Century 11x14. No regrets!
Terry

Vaughn
30-Dec-2017, 20:00
Those Gator bags look nice. My 11x14 is about 18" sq by 6". They have a nice bag that should fit it and have room for 3 holders and the darkcloth. Heavily padded, it might fit nicely on a packpack frame -- something for me to think about. The old military suitcase I use sort of sucks, and the handle just broke. One just has to be careful not to go with a nice light-weight camera, only to add too many pounds with the case!

http://gatorcases.com/products/lcdplasmaled/lightweight-lcdplasma-cases/gl-lcd/19-22-lcd-case-gl-lcd-1922/

healyzh
1-Jan-2018, 01:41
Holders are separate in a 5 holder padded case.

I was thinking about a Gator Bag for the film holders. It sounds like you're using a bag closer to what i use for 8x10 film holders. Is it something you had custom made, or something someone sells?

healyzh
1-Jan-2018, 01:58
I really like the looks of the Gator Bags, in fact I've already gotten one other LF photographer interested in them, as a result of learning about them here. With the lens mounted, the Kodak 2D is about 18"(W)x20"(H)x8"(D), or about 6" deep without the lens mounted. It's wider than I'd like, but the G-MIXERBAG-2621 looks like a it might be the best fit.

Tin Can
1-Jan-2018, 06:11
It was sold new on eBay. No longer available.

I was thinking about a Gator Bag for the film holders. It sounds like you're using a bag closer to what i use for 8x10 film holders. Is it something you had custom made, or something someone sells?

MrFujicaman
8-Jan-2018, 10:42
I think LabRat had the cheapest idea...I bought a old Samsonite hard walled suitcase at a thrift store for $8 for my collection of Vivitar 365 strobes. Not the best looking thing, but it gets the job done.

Tin Can
8-Jan-2018, 10:49
Bedbugs

William Whitaker
8-Jan-2018, 17:12
L.L. Bean Boat and Tote, Open Top, Extra Large. Perhaps the one with the long handles. A board with a layer of closed-cell foam to shape and pad the bottom. Just about enough room for the camera and two or three holders. Tough as nails. You can set it in the dirt without fear, then work out of the top. And when it does get dirty, you can hose it off. Preferably without the camera in it.:)

MrFujicaman
8-Jan-2018, 19:48
well. I do have a bit of DDT I found when cleaning out Dad's house...

Tin Can
8-Jan-2018, 23:09
well. I do have a bit of DDT I found when cleaning out Dad's house...

It’s a known problem in cities.