PDA

View Full Version : Adjustable viewfinder for Busch Pressman?

EdC
26-Dec-2017, 15:02
I've seen Bolex Paillard adjustable viewfinders available which are supposed to cover a range of 16mm to 150mm. Wouldn't this be a good means of accommodating a variety of lenses on press cameras as a quick viewfinder for composing? I've not had opportunity to pick one up (they appear to be pretty inexpensive), but this looks like something to consider.

Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Ed

mdarnton
26-Dec-2017, 15:04
Linhof makes something like that for 4x5, not particularly expensive for an older one, though undoubtedly the new ones are an arm and a leg or two:
http://linhof.com/en/optischer-universalsucher/
It's a parallax-correcting zoom finder for 90-360mm lenses.

On Ebay I often see old ones for in the neighborhood of $150, but without the camera shoe part. Search for "Linhof finder".

Jac@stafford.net
26-Dec-2017, 15:08
Mr. Darton's observation is correct, but please remember that the range of focal lengths for the Busch Pressman is limited, and by the way, I own one. :)

mdarnton
26-Dec-2017, 15:17
I can imagine a kit where it might be useful: 90mm, 135mm, 12" tele-Raptar, 15" tele-Raptar. Those all would probably work on the camera. A 210mm lens would probably work. That leaves the center ~200 to 300mm unfulfilled, maybe.

LabRat
26-Dec-2017, 15:51
I have used the Bolex finders on the 16mm cameras, but they are like looking at the world through a peephole, and they are long and bulky, so maybe not the best choice if you want a clear, large view...

There are those Chinese top mounted finders for 4x5, and not too expensive... But I don't know what shoe on the camera is required to hold it, but I'm guessing it's like the hot shoe on other cameras (like for flashes) and blank shoes are available that might mount your camera...

Good Luck!!!

Happy Holidays!!!

Steve K

rfesk
26-Dec-2017, 20:25
You can mount a Graflex viewfinder on the Pressman pretty easily. Then use the appropriate mask for the focal length lens you are using. Or make your own masks. The Graflex viewfinders have an adjustment for parallax similar to the Pressman's viewfinder.

(I have done that on my Pressman.)

Wayne
28-Dec-2017, 23:36
You can mount a Graflex viewfinder on the Pressman pretty easily. Then use the appropriate mask for the focal length lens you are using. Or make your own masks. The Graflex viewfinders have an adjustment for parallax similar to the Pressman's viewfinder.

(I have done that on my Pressman.)

Maybe you should write up an illustrated tutorial. I'd like to get a viewfinder back on my D someday, and I don't know where I put the one I took off

EdC
29-Dec-2017, 14:18
Thanks for all of the commentary! I was interested in a different viewfinder due to having purchased a 6in Dagor at a favorable price, along with getting the Pressman for a modest $80 figure. Total investment, not including reproduction lens boards, is roughly $250. The mounting plate for the existing viewfinder is slightly bent, and I'm not sure if the plate can easily be straightened out. Not being aware of the compatibllity of the Graflex masks, I was interested in finding some way to have the field of view of a 150mm lens represented, so that I could make occasional use of this camera. For now, I'll look to see about removing the existing viewfinder and seeing if it can be repaired to some degree. If so, then a mask would be a nice way to handle things. Otherwise, I'll just replace it, but keep the original.

Happy New Year to everyone in the meantime!

Ed

Jac@stafford.net
29-Dec-2017, 15:12
For now, I'll look to see about removing the existing viewfinder and seeing if it can be repaired to some degree.

Ed, the external viewfinder for the Busch Pressman D is a weak point. I have a D NIB and the finder is yellowed, and difficult to disassemble to clean, so I think your pursuit of an equivalent is a good idea - or suffer through it. The wire frame is fine - for the limited focal length it is made for. A Linhoff optical finder is hard to beat, even the earlier model.

And are you sure you can make the rangefinder (if it has one) match the lens you have chosen? I would be skeptical.

Forgive me for proselytizing, but comparing what you paid for the camera to the price of an improved accessory can be misleading. The improved part might raise the useful value of the camera considerably.
--
Jac - always looking for the better finders, and I have too many.

EdC
15-Jan-2018, 12:38
Ed, the external viewfinder for the Busch Pressman D is a weak point. I have a D NIB and the finder is yellowed, and difficult to disassemble to clean, so I think your pursuit of an equivalent is a good idea - or suffer through it. The wire frame is fine - for the limited focal length it is made for. A Linhoff optical finder is hard to beat, even the earlier model.

And are you sure you can make the rangefinder (if it has one) match the lens you have chosen? I would be skeptical.

Forgive me for proselytizing, but comparing what you paid for the camera to the price of an improved accessory can be misleading. The improved part might raise the useful value of the camera considerably.
--
Jac - always looking for the better finders, and I have too many.

You raise some excellent points, Jac! I guess I was expressing some concern about total dollars spent, since the camera is not going to be my go to for field use. The town that I live in has some quaint older sections, within walking distance of my office. I was planning on trying out the Pressman over some lunch hours just to get some photo time in. The work schedule is pretty demanding, and I want to get some time in doing something other than pounding on the keyboard, although that does pay for this hobby......

Ed

Bob Salomon
15-Jan-2018, 14:43
Linhof makes something like that for 4x5, not particularly expensive for an older one, though undoubtedly the new ones are an arm and a leg or two:
http://linhof.com/en/optischer-universalsucher/
It's a parallax-correcting zoom finder for 90-360mm lenses.

On Ebay I often see old ones for in the neighborhood of $150, but without the camera shoe part. Search for "Linhof finder".
Latest version is for 72 to 400mm. That is the one connected to your link.

rfesk
18-Jan-2018, 18:41
On the "auction site" there is a Graflex viewfinder for sale with the mounting shoe for about $25.00. (That auction photo also includes a finder for a B&J Press camera.) I have not connection at all with the seller of the items listed.

The Pressman has an aluminum body rather than the wooden body of the Graflex or Graphic so you will need to drill the three holes in aluminum body to mount the mounting shoe.

Viewfinder mask #3 is the one listed by Graflex for 150mm to 162 lenes on a 4X5 camera. These are very often available on the "auction site."

I had forgotten that in my case I mounted a standard flash shoe on my Pressman and then added a foot to the Graflex viewfinder. That is a whole lot more trouble than simply using the Graflex finder and shoe.