PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Master Technika 2000 owners - please help with question on geared rise/fall

Photobackpacker
23-Dec-2017, 08:47
When I lower the front standard on my MT2K using the lever and the standard reaches its lowest point, the lever disengages the geared rack and the gear attached to the lever simply free-spins. Is this normal or did I damage the mechanism on a cold (-8 F) weather shoot. Selecting rise, the gear engages the rack and elevates the standard normally. It has been so long since I have used the camera I can't remember if this is normal.

Bruce

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2017, 09:08
When I lower the front standard on my MT2K using the lever and the standard reaches its lowest point, the lever disengages the geared rack and the gear attached to the lever simply free-spins. Is this normal or did I damage the mechanism on a cold (-8 F) weather shoot. Selecting rise, the gear engages the rack and elevates the standard normally. It has been so long since I have used the camera I can't remember if this is normal.

Bruce
Normal, you can not force it to rise or fall beyond it’s geared path.

Photobackpacker
23-Dec-2017, 09:44
Hi Bob:

Glad to see you are still available for expert advice!! I am happy to hear it is normal I appreciate it!!

All the best,

Bruce

mpirie
23-Dec-2017, 10:51
Being mechanically sympathetic, i've never tried pushing the ratchet beyond it's throw when the standard bottoms out.

I'd be too afraid to damage the ratchet and have to put the camera in for service!.

Mike

Jac@stafford.net
23-Dec-2017, 14:43
I'd be too afraid to damage the ratchet and have to put the camera in for service!.

In my experience forcing the rise lever is the cause of gear failure. People tend to forget when it is locked.

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2017, 14:55
In my experience forcing the rise lever is the cause of gear failure. People tend to forget when it is locked.

If your camera is in proper repair the ratchetautomatically disengages at the top and bottom of its travel.

Jac@stafford.net
23-Dec-2017, 15:29
If your camera is in proper repair the ratchet automatically disengages at the top and bottom of its travel.

:) Indeed, a great feature, thoughtful design!
But forcing it when it is locked is deadly.
There is no cure for stupid.

Thanks, Bob!

Corran
23-Dec-2017, 20:38
Is that a feature added to the 2000? On the Master I have it doesn't disengage. It just stops and so I suppose if someone was dumb they'd try to force it and break it.

Certainly better than the rise mechanism on the Tech IV, which with bigger lenses does not stay put.

Bob Salomon
23-Dec-2017, 20:57
Is that a feature added to the 2000? On the Master I have it doesn't disengage. It just stops and so I suppose if someone was dumb they'd try to force it and break it.

Certainly better than the rise mechanism on the Tech IV, which with bigger lenses does not stay put.

Same mechanism on the 45 Classic! 45 Master classic 2000 and the Master Classic 3000.

Corran
23-Dec-2017, 21:20
Huh. I thought mine just locked down at the end of travel. Doesn't really matter I suppose. I'll have to look when I get back home after the holidays.