PDA

View Full Version : Interview with John Chara on Lensculture

Richard Wasserman
21-Dec-2017, 10:53
Certainly qualifies as large format—

https://www.lensculture.com/articles/john-chiara-california?utm_source=General+List&utm_campaign=85b93473bb-12-21-17-ED-Newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_f1724e682d-85b93473bb-67617345&mc_cid=85b93473bb&mc_eid=e3d6d7b5b6#slideshow

Tin Can
2-Jan-2018, 04:49
Interesting

Thanks for posting!

4th wall

John Layton
2-Jan-2018, 11:02
Hats off for the obvious passion and effort (would love to meet/chat with the artist and climb into his giant camera!) - but to be fair I’d want to see the actual images in person before responding any further.

chassis
2-Jan-2018, 19:00
A photographer by the name of Maciej Markowicz in NYC was recently doing something similar, using a van converted into a camera obscura, exposing onto RA4 paper.

John Layton
4-Jan-2018, 06:57
I should probably just let this go...and this is in general (not relating to a specific artist) - but sometimes I think there is just too much hoopla relating to novelty of process, and too little relating to quality/strength/meaning/integrity of image. There...I said it!

Richard Wasserman
4-Jan-2018, 07:30
I should probably just let this go...and this is in general (not relating to a specific artist) - but sometimes I think there is just too much hoopla relating to novelty of process, and too little relating to quality/strength/meaning/integrity of image. There...I said it!

John, I tend to agree with you, but at the same time I have a great appreciation for people who go to extremes and are willing to do whatever it takes to accomplish their goals.

Willie
4-Jan-2018, 07:57
The hoopla surrounding how one gets to the final image that expresses their inner vision is what many want to know. Same thing as many of us having a fascination with LF gear even when we are not out actively using it.
Would also like to see the images. I will never do this but find it interesting to see what he is doing.

vinny
4-Jan-2018, 07:59

You said it so I don't have to.

Drew Wiley
4-Jan-2018, 18:39
He seems to be having fun. Otherwise, I might or might not roll my eyes if I saw the actual prints. I'm so sick of novelty for sake of novelty that I rarely visit museum venues anymore. But there are actually a number of people doing this sort of mega-camera thing.

Drew Wiley
4-Jan-2018, 18:43
Incidentally, there was a pretty good earthquake rattle last nite with its epicenter right about where that picture was taken.

Merg Ross
4-Jan-2018, 23:00
Incidentally, there was a pretty good earthquake rattle last nite with its epicenter right about where that picture was taken.

And two miles from my house. Good rattle indeed! It woke me up, a 4.4 magnitude.