PDA

View Full Version : The Print

MikeN
17-Dec-2017, 08:44
For those who love film:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wBEFcQuW64

The format indeed is everything else than large; however my LF workflow is quite similar :)

bob carnie
17-Dec-2017, 08:56
Hand Crafted Beauty.... really nice looking darkroom space... You have all the angles covered from camera to framed print... this is what its all about IMO... well done.

adelorenzo
17-Dec-2017, 09:06
Great video! Interesting to see one of those RH Designs units in action.

chassis
17-Dec-2017, 10:42
Yep nicely done.

Steve Williams_812
17-Dec-2017, 11:07
Lovely workspace. Especially like the big windows and natural light. Has my cave beat. The process is much the same as mine save for a couple diversions. All my wet process takes place in a big sink. I'm not fastidious enough to not slop chemistry all over. Need a confined space that I can hose down. And I don't dry mount anymore. Did that for years until a friend at a museum suggested I mount prints in archival corners so the print isn't forever married to a board. That's what I do now. While doing research of Edward Weston prints at the Eastman House many years ago I was struck by how much pencil information was on the backs of prints. All that would be lost in dry mounting. I suppose the decision to dry mount or not depends on intention and end use.

Fine video though.

Willie
17-Dec-2017, 14:54
Music is like a half dozen cups of coffee - how about something more relaxed?

You put "retouch" rather than "spotting print" - why?

Other than that, nicely done.

What material for the window blackout panels?

MikeN
18-Dec-2017, 14:40
@all: Thanks for the feedback!

All my wet process takes place in a big sink.
I wish I'd have such a big sink. I guess it's hard to find one ;)

And I don't dry mount anymore.
I usually take two "identical" prints of a pic. One for presentation, the other for the box, which then also has all the notes...

You put "retouch" rather than "spotting print" - why?
As "to retouch" is the process of improving and repair I think it could apply here. But I agree "spotting" might be more appropriate :)

What material for the window blackout panels?
It's a very thin panel of plastic laminated with opaque material.

Steve Williams_812
18-Dec-2017, 16:11
@all: Thanks for the feedback!

I wish I'd have such a big sink. I guess it's hard to find one ;)

I had seen some big stainless steel sinks made by Calumet that would be nice but they weren't quite right. So I built my sink out of wood and covered it in marine epoxy. Ugh -- that's nasty business. But the sink is big and fits the darkroom precisely. It's 36x96 and is 12 inches deep on three sides with a 30 inch high backsplash on the back. The backsplash is six inches deep to allow for plumbing and custom exhaust right at tray level. Underneath is a big shelve for things and a place to hold a dozen drying screens.

And it is tall to match my 6'2" height. I hate leaning over to work in sinks. I also installed an oak leaning rail across the front edge. I can fall asleep on that. I stained it with Golden Pecan stain before I varnished it. A friend is always making fun of my Golden Pecan leaning rail in my darkroom. He's just jealous.

If I were building a darkroom again the knowledge of that sink build would convert me to digital...

Ironage
19-Dec-2017, 05:45
Beautiful cutting edge equipment in you darkroom! Your boards for the window are inspiring me with another idea.