PDA

View Full Version : Is my 210mm Computar f9 convertible?

Dhuiting
16-Dec-2017, 18:37
I’ve seen versions of this lens that have a double aperture scale, where you remove the rear element and you effectively have a 370mm lens. Mine does not have the double aperture scale. Does that mean I cannot remove the rear element and get the same 370mm convertible as the ones with double aperture scale? And if so, what’s the difference?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whir-Click
16-Dec-2017, 19:22
All versions of the Computar/Kyvytar/Kowa Graphic 210 lens are convertible. With the front cell removed, the Computar becomes a 370mm f/18 lens. If your shutter does not have the factory original double aperture scale, you can simply double the existing aperture values when using the rear cell by itself, e.g. f/16 becomes f/32 when converted.

When I purchased a new old stock Graphic Kowa 210 in barrel and transfered it into a Copal 1, I paid SK Grimes to engrave the double aperture scale. When I saw that all the values were simply doubled, I felt a little foolish; I thought it would be a much more complicated endeavor.

Dhuiting
16-Dec-2017, 19:25
Awesome! Thanks so much!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whir-Click
16-Dec-2017, 19:27
It’s a great family of lenses. Enjoy!

Pfsor
17-Dec-2017, 05:17
I’ve seen versions of this lens that have a double aperture scale, where you remove the rear element and you effectively have a 370mm lens.

With the front cell removed, the Computar becomes a 370mm f/18 lens.

It's nice to see how perfectly you agree with each other... :)