PDA

View Full Version : Sinar - difference between bag bellows #1 or #2 ....

Jac@stafford.net
15-Dec-2017, 14:17
Sinar - difference between bag bellows #1 or #2 ... or whatever else is available?

Building a wide angle on a Sinar Alpina - wondering what's different about the bag bellows.

Also - I don't need movements, so has anyone shortened a standard bellows?
Thank you!

Jerry Bodine
15-Dec-2017, 15:45
Have a look here, on p.26:
http://www.kennethleegallery.com/pdf/Sinar_system_katalog.pdf

B.S.Kumar
15-Dec-2017, 18:21
I think the Alpina has a fixed rail that gets in the way. I believe a 6" rail was made for the A1 that was marketed for a short time as the successor to the Alpina. It may be compatible. There's some cautionary advice about using a fixed rail here:
http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?759-Any-information-on-Alpina-4X5-camera

Kumar

Jac@stafford.net
15-Dec-2017, 18:58
I think the Alpina has a fixed rail that gets in the way. [...]

Yes indeed, Thanks. I have already dealt with the tripod mount when I cut the rail short. All should beware of that. Done. But I do not know the difference between #1 and #2 bag bellows.

B.S.Kumar
15-Dec-2017, 19:05
The catalog explains it well, I think. If you want to use lenses 75mm or below , the #2 bellows is essential. Otherwise the #1 bellows will do. Let me know if you need a #1 bellows.

Kumar

Mark Sampson
15-Dec-2017, 21:13
I use a 75mm lens regularly with a Sinar and a bag bellows. I assume it's a #1. Never yet had a problem but I never knew of the #2 until now.

B.S.Kumar
16-Dec-2017, 06:01
The difference between the #1 and #2 bellows is that the former is a simple bellows, while the latter is double-pleated. The double pleats make it easy to use movements even with very wide lenses.

Kumar

Jac@stafford.net
16-Dec-2017, 17:16
The difference between the #1 and #2 bellows is that the former is a simple bellows, while the latter is double-pleated. The double pleats make it easy to use movements even with very wide lenses.

Kumar

Ah, that is what I need to know! Thank you. I have more to work out and your info really helps. I hope (perhaps futile) to mount a 47mm SA XL to a Sinar 4x5 back. No movements necessary for my stuff. I think, but am not sure, that I can make it with no bellows at all.

Again, many thanks.

Jac Stafford

neil poulsen
17-Dec-2017, 01:21
You might consider combining a Sinar Norma front standard with a Sinar F rear standard. With a setup that I put together, I could achieve a minimum extension of 46mm with a flat lensboard. That would give you room to spare, since tha flange focal length of a 47 mm SA is longer than the focal length.

See the following link.

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?131276-Sinar-F-Norma-Hybrid-Camera

There's also the possibility of using a recessed lens board. But, I suspect that you've already considered this.

Out of curiosity, what's the problem that you've encountered?

B.S.Kumar
17-Dec-2017, 07:59
I use a 35mm Grandagon with a recessed board and a digital back or roll film with the #2 bellows. I can get all the movements I want.

Kumar