PDA

View Full Version : ULF holders

RichardRitter
8-Dec-2017, 13:13
Why are ULF holders finished with a clear finish?

Anyone know the history why

Sal Santamaura
8-Dec-2017, 14:54
Why are ULF holders finished with a clear finish?...A love of flare?

...Anyone know the history whyNo, and apologies for the smart aleck comment. I couldn't resist. :)

Tin Can
8-Dec-2017, 15:20
Some admire wood finish more than utility. My brother was an intense woodworker until he...

I bought RR holders that are efficiently matt black.

Michael Kadillak
8-Dec-2017, 17:44
I ended up painting all of the interior surfaces of my 8x20 and 11x14 wooden ULF holders a matt black and life for me as a ULF photographer improved substantively. As the old saying goes, necessity is the mother of invention.

Paul Kinzer
8-Dec-2017, 22:27
As a telescope maker, I can sure attest to the effect of matte black on reflection reduction and contrast enhancement! I'm in the beginning stages of making my own holders, and will definitely paint the surfaces that will be in the light path from the lens to the film.

Steve Sherman
9-Dec-2017, 11:15
On my Phillips 7x17 camera with Lotus film holder inserted the amount of cherry wood exposed when looking thru the lens opening is negligible.

radii
9-Dec-2017, 12:44
Why are ULF holders finished with a clear finish?

Anyone know the history why

Which ones are and why do you ask?

John Layton
10-Dec-2017, 07:01
Hey...isn't there some product which has become available recently - a super absorptive black paint and/or cloth, or flocking material...which also happens to be (unfortunately) very expensive?

As Steve points out, the amount of film holder opening actually exposed is very small...but not always "negligible." But as the actual exposed area is so small, would this not represent a very cost-effective opportunity to make use of this new "ultra black" product? Richard?

William Whitaker
10-Dec-2017, 08:46
Vantablack (https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack). Looks like cost is but only one of the issues. Not available to "private individuals".

Tin Can
10-Dec-2017, 09:41
Vantablack (https://www.surreynanosystems.com/vantablack). Looks like cost is but only one of the issues. Not available to "private individuals".

Oh ya, that stuff. I have read about it. Overkill for our application.

I use big markers, up to 2 " wide. Art store, Amazon and cheap if you buy right. Some of them are overpriced.

radii
11-Dec-2017, 07:40

There's an option out there for anybody that is not Anish Kapoor.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/anish-kapoor-stuart-semple-blackest-black

Tin Can
11-Dec-2017, 07:58
Hilarious!

Anish is a bit of snob. However, he recently relented and sanctioned the populous name 'The Bean' for his wonderful 'Cloud Gate'.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/chicago-politics/anish-kapoor-cloud-gate-artist-i-call-it-the-bean-too/

There's an option out there for anybody that is not Anish Kapoor.

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/anish-kapoor-stuart-semple-blackest-black

Michael Kadillak
11-Dec-2017, 08:22
Hey...isn't there some product which has become available recently - a super absorptive black paint and/or cloth, or flocking material...which also happens to be (unfortunately) very expensive?

As Steve points out, the amount of film holder opening actually exposed is very small...but not always "negligible." But as the actual exposed area is so small, would this not represent a very cost-effective opportunity to make use of this new "ultra black" product? Richard?

Yes, the area is typically small, but it kicked my ass until I got a $1.25 bottle of flat black hobby paint and a small brush and went to work. I even painted the insides of the baffles. Then I put a small piece of tape over the flap seams on both sides. Good to go.

Bruce Barlow
12-Dec-2017, 09:52
A love of flare?

No, and apologies for the smart aleck comment. I couldn't resist. :)

Well, from my conversations with Richard, you certainly identified the problem, smart aleck or no.

sanking
13-Dec-2017, 14:45
Well, from my conversations with Richard, you certainly identified the problem, smart aleck or no.

Yes, flare is the problem.

But the reason film holders were sold clear coated is because many users of ULF cameras prefer the beauty of wood grain to a flat black color, and this preference goes back to the very early days of cameras and film holders. If choice were only about practicality the market for ULF cameras and holders would be much smaller than it is.

Most people solve the problem of flare like Michael, they coat all of the internal parts of the holder with a flat black paint. If you find it necessary to paint the outside of the film holder to avoid flare, my experience is that you probably have some type of fit issue that prevents the holder from seating firmly in the back.

Sandy

Michael Kadillak
13-Dec-2017, 18:23
Yes, flare is the problem.

But the reason film holders were sold clear coated is because many users of ULF cameras prefer the beauty of wood grain to a flat black color, and this preference goes back to the very early days of cameras and film holders. If choice were only about practicality the market for ULF cameras and holders would be much smaller than it is.

Most people solve the problem of flare like Michael, they coat all of the internal parts of the holder with a flat black paint. If you find it necessary to paint the outside of the film holder to avoid flare, my experience is that you probably have some type of fit issue that prevents the holder from seating firmly in the back.

Sandy

To your point Sandy, I send a slew of my 8x20 holders and my camera back to Richard Ritter to properly align them all to fit correctly in the camera. Finally I had to admit that ignoring this issue would not make the problem to go away. Richard did a fabulous job as always.

John Layton
30-Dec-2017, 12:58
Beauty over practicality? Vanity over utility? For shoes maybe...but not film holders! Jeeesh!

But yes about fit. Even when considering whatever "wiggle-room" is needed to compensate for environmental changes, a correctly fitting holder can (almost) be painted white (but maybe not gloss-white!).

But in the real world we do occasionally need a bit of good, FLAT, black paint!