PDA

View Full Version : Classified ads

John Luke
2-Aug-2005, 14:54
Is there a Classified Section or Buy/Sell Forum here like on Photo.net and APUG? I've some LF lenses I am selling. Thanks, John

xwang
2-Aug-2005, 14:57
No. Please go to E*bay to list.

Tedd
2-Aug-2005, 14:57
Do you have anything that will cover a 12x20 with some movements? I am looking for a nice landscape lens and some as long as possible.

John Kasaian
2-Aug-2005, 15:35
John: APUG has classifieds where you can list items, so does photo.net
Tedd: Look for a 450 Nikkor M or a 19" Dagor (no, mine aren't for sale!)

David A. Goldfarb
2-Aug-2005, 15:54
Try f32.net and the Azo forum at www.michaelandpaula.com.

Tedd
2-Aug-2005, 16:19
Great thanks for the tips!

The lens I am looking for is for a 20x24 color enlarger...

Let me know if you need any enlargements!
The enlarger will be housed at Scandinavians TOP fine art photofinishing lab, Förstoringsateljén.

Brian C. Miller
2-Aug-2005, 20:29
Tedd, let me see if I have this straight: You have built an enlarger that takes a 20x24 negative?

Al Seyle
3-Aug-2005, 07:55
Sure--they are called "process" cameras but they make superb enlargers as well. Printing houses used them but since have gone to scanners, making them obsolete. They are cheap. Horizontals make the best enlargers.

Ole Tjugen
3-Aug-2005, 08:37
Now where did I see a 1200mm APO-Rodagon a little while ago??? I guess that should be usable for enlarging a 20x24" negative :)

Tedd
3-Aug-2005, 13:45
Brian wrote:
"Tedd, let me see if I have this straight: You have built an enlarger that takes a 20x24 negative?"

Why yes! Why not!?

A question has been posed, "To enlarge or not to enlarge, that's the question?"

ABSOLUTELY! We have these huge negatives with tremendous amounts of information, tones and passion!
They truely aren't appreciated and do not come to life and justice until they are enlarged.

I have been shooting 4x5 since 1993 and traveled over to Ron Wisner's shop jan. 2004 to pick up my 12x20.
I purchased it for a book project in which I took portraits of famous successful Swedes. One of these people is an artist
and I photographed him on HP5 with a 300mm Dagor at a ratio 1,5:1. This guys face was so amazing! I just had to enlarge it.

I went to a lab who is quite famous in Northern Europe for ENLARGEMENTS. They really do not do much smaller than 20x24 prints.
they have 3 rooms all with monster horizontal enlargers. Most of their clients shoot only LF, 40% using 8x10.

When I came with with Pyro dev. negs the owner was in hysterics. He and I decided on the spot to build something even for the largest of negs.
The clincher is that he has an extra 8x10 with a color head just lying around! With that as the base and the 20x24 + copy camera I god a hold of we are well on our way! The copy camera had no lens! So we are at that stage now of finding something suitable.

So if anyone has a lens big enough lying around and would like to contribute to the cause and come to Sweden and PLAY! Give me a call...

Oh, the neg of the artist... I cut it down to 10x10 so that we could enlarge it the size it would be when the enlarge is done.. B&W on fiber with the 12x20 format can be as large as 1,2x2 meters (4x6,5 feet). There was NO grain! The portrait was awesome, stunning and SO realistic!

The largest color print will be even larger. The size limitations are only due to the limitation of the widths of the paper rolls...Unless you do not mind even bigger prints with seams.

The lab has said that if anyone is interested in enlargements when it is done, then all they need is a print of EXACTLY how you want the enlargement plus the neg and they will fix the rest. Unless you wan to come and work side by side with them, of course.

Tedd
3-Aug-2005, 14:43
Ole!

"Now where did I see a 1200mm APO-Rodagon a little while ago??? I guess that should be usable for enlarging a 20x24" negative :)"

Are you holding back on me? Do you have something that might work?

Ole Tjugen
3-Aug-2005, 15:29
Misremembered - it's an APO-Ronar. But still 1200mm, f:16. You have mail :)

Tedd
3-Aug-2005, 15:36
UGH! NICE! Thanks Ole.

If I only could understand German though!
The only German I remember from school is a VERY rude comment about
a guy's mother...

Think I will buy film instead for the time being. :oD

jnantz
3-Aug-2005, 18:41
tom yanul makes enlargments from ulf negatives (upto 12x20 negs)
he is in chicago though, not europe ...

http://hometown.aol.com/%20yanulpan/lab.html

Brian C. Miller
3-Aug-2005, 22:17
Tedd wrote:
"Why yes! Why not!?

A question has been posed, "To enlarge or not to enlarge, that's the question?"

ABSOLUTELY! We have these huge negatives with tremendous amounts of information, tones and passion! They truely aren't appreciated and do not come to life and justice until they are enlarged. "

And they call Americans crazy! :-)

And here's all the contact printing guys waxing poetic about their contact prints and how nothing else beats it, and you come along and build an ULF enlarger! Now, that's the kind of argument we should be having around here, instead of this silly analog vs digital nonsense.

Until you get that 1200mm enlarging lens, why don't you use the same lens on the enlarger that you used on the camera? You know it covers the negative.

Tedd
3-Aug-2005, 22:27
Thank you Brian.

Maybe this should be made into a thread of its own, "ULF Enlarger". I'd love the feed back.
Bigger and better, is't that the US motto?
Although I am a transplanted american here in Sthlm.

As to the use of my 300mm lens... As I understand it it needs to be an enlarging lens or copy lens as
they are built differently. It has been suggested to me to get a Red Dot Artar.

Comments? Donators?

Brian C. Miller
3-Aug-2005, 22:50
After a quick Google, I came up with the following info:

Goertz Red Dot Artar, Process lens, 1205mm
Goertz Red Dot Artar, Process lens, 1280mm

That page only exists in Google's cache, and a search specifically for either length comes up with nothing for sale, or that anyone admits owning.

Yeah, I know, you're not supposed to use a taking lens as an enlarging lens, but it would work, though. The enlarging lens is optimized for flat-field to flat-field, while the taking lens isn't. But it wouldn't hurt to try, and at least just look at the projected image, maybe tack a few 8x10s in the corners to see how it does. Maybe its good enough to use.

Richard Ide
4-Aug-2005, 00:28
Tedd

I built two large format enlargers. I built a 16 x 20 from scratch and used a 420mm Apo Nikkor or a 500mm Tessar for my larger negatives. The other one I built from a 20 x 24 process camera. I could project a negative (up to 30 x 48). I put the whole camera on a track. Enlarging an image length up to 32" I used a 760mm Apo Nikkor. For larger image length, I used a 1200mm Apo Tessar. I used the original bellows and built four extensions I could insert when I needed up to 100" of bellows. I had a big engineering camera projector (Opti Copy) which used a 600mm Apo germinar. The enlarging image size was 19 x 26.
I don't think you need a really long lens for what you plan. A 24" lens like an Apo Nikkor or a Rodagon should give you what you need.
Having been there I wish I could drop by and get my hands dirty.

Richard

Tedd
4-Aug-2005, 00:38
Thank you Richard.

Swing by Sthlm sometime. The lab and my studio doors are open!
Do you have any pics your drawings over your designs?

Wayne_6692
7-Aug-2005, 13:17
There are 2 Artars on Ebay right now. A 35" and a 47". Both a little long, but if you've got the floorspace and the rails...

http://cgi.ebay.com/GOERZ-LARGE-FORMAT-LENS-ARTAR-APOCHROMAT-RED-35-IN-F-12_W0QQitemZ7535680818QQcategoryZ15247QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem