PDA

View Full Version : how do you store your lenses?

Paul Ron
29-Nov-2017, 20:31
i have 3 beautiful lenses for my 4x5 mounted on their own lens boards. i keep them in zip loc bags so they stay clean.

but i find carrying my lenses in my back pack may damage them. i was thinking of putting each one in its own box. a 4" cube box would be perfect and would also allow me to put a layer of bubble wrap top n bottom.

so how do you store your lenses?

Keith Pitman
29-Nov-2017, 20:53
Look for fishing reel cases: Fishpond or Basspro. This is assuming your lenses are on Linhof-type or 4x4 lensboards.

mpirie
30-Nov-2017, 01:56
+1 on the fishing reel cases.

Mine have Velcro dividers which allow you to internally size them to hold different sized lenses.

Mike

Doremus Scudder
30-Nov-2017, 02:43
I've made my own boxes out of double-wall corrugated cardboard and tape. The boxes are sized for each lens and built so that the lensboard slides in with just a small bit of resistance and the lens caps just touch each end. They are tall enough so that nothing sticks up over the open top of the box and I can stack them in my pack without any pressing on a cable release, etc. I prefer not to have lids for the boxes so I can easily get to a lens when I need it, but one could make lids for them easily. Since these are sized for each lens, there's no wasted space. I carry four or five lenses in such boxes in my pack when in the field.

Cheap, easy and efficient, just the way I like it.

Doremus

seanwang
30-Nov-2017, 04:57
This is ... my lens... stored in the bookcase, a little disorder... I made lens cover for each one use plastic.172445

Paul Ron
30-Nov-2017, 06:22
Look for fishing reel cases: Fishpond or Basspro. This is assuming your lenses are on Linhof-type or 4x4 lensboards.

oooooooohhhh.... great idea! have a pic?

yes my lens boards are linhof 4x4. i see moulded 4" cases from fishpond... is that it?

i found this advertised....
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/rod-holders-storage/fishing-reel-cases/pc/104794380/c/104763780/sc/104527080/cabelas-reel-pouch/1349838.uts?slotId=2

what do you think?

btw i making a box from cedar closet lining wood to store all 3 lenses. it has side slots so each lens board slips in nicely.... smells great too. almost done. but its not for carrying around in my pack... home storage only.

i wanted to try the cardboard box idea, thats why i asked here... i figured you guys would know.

Paul Ron
30-Nov-2017, 06:24
This is ... my lens... stored in the bookcase, a little disorder... I made lens cover for each one use plastic.172445

looks like my closets, except mine avalanche when you open the doors.

hahahahaha

Pere Casals
30-Nov-2017, 06:30
Inside a plastic zip bag with some silica gel, individually, this prevents humidity and fungus.

If a lens has fungus it can contaminate the others, so if storing all lenses in the same container then special care should be taken. A good practice is disinfecting used lenses acquired, with formaldehyde gas for example, I do that by placing the lens in a zip bag with a cotton impregnated with formaldehyde during some 24h.

Also all shutter speeds should be shot regularly, I do that every 6 months, 3 shots for each speed.

xkaes
30-Nov-2017, 06:33
When they are at home, they are on shelves in a closet -- uncovered, except for front and rear lens caps.

When I'm backpacking (like you), it's completely different due to space and weight constraints. I normally carry around 8-10 lenses (some are tiny), but they are basically stacked together end-to-end in a large, padded, KIWI camera bag -- which includes my 4x5 camera and accessories (except the tripod). If I treated each lens like it was a baby -- like some people do -- I don't think I could pick up my backpack. Everyone has to figure this out for themselves. I really don't care if my lenses have nicks and scrapes -- as long as the glass is clean. My Gitzo tripod looks like a survivor from the Crimean War, and has survived innumerable backpacks from Canada to Mexico -- but works GREAT! Other people want their gear to remain in mint condition. There are lots of Leica users who have never actually used their $5,000 cameras because they want them to remain in mint condition. I'm on the other end of the continuum.

If any of my gear looks better than I do, it means I haven't been using it enough!

P.S. I don't keep my 30 year old Tracker in a garage either -- but I do change the oil every 2,000 miles and give it a carwash every Spring.

Keith Pitman
30-Nov-2017, 06:43
oooooooohhhh.... great idea! have a pic?

yes my lens boards are linhof 4x4. i see moulded 4" cases from fishpond... is that it?

i found this advertised....
http://www.cabelas.com/product/boating/rod-holders-storage/fishing-reel-cases/pc/104794380/c/104763780/sc/104527080/cabelas-reel-pouch/1349838.uts?slotId=2

what do you think?

btw i making a box from cedar closet lining wood to store all 3 lenses. it has side slots so each lens board slips in nicely.... smells great too. almost done. but its not for carrying around in my pack... home storage only.

i wanted to try the cardboard box idea, thats why i asked here... i figured you guys would know.

No, that’s not what I’m suggesting. Try this: http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/white-river-fly-shop-fly-reel-case

Or, this: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fishpond-Sweetwater-Reel-Case-LG/162777045618?epid=1400183886&hash=item25e6449a72:g:xYoAAOSwFO5aHGpV

jp
30-Nov-2017, 13:25
When shooting; lens wraps.
For transport; Allen fishing reel case.
For long term storage; stainless steel tool chest.

xkaes
30-Nov-2017, 17:07
When shooting; lens wraps.
For transport; Allen fishing reel case.
For long term storage; stainless steel tool chest.

For expedition work; a platinum-coated, bullet-proof, armored truck -- with extra guards on all sides!

JMO
30-Nov-2017, 17:52
+1 for foam-padded lens wraps like those from Novoflex that are available in various sizes and colors from Adorama or B&H.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Nov-2017, 18:26
+1 for foam-padded lens wraps like those from Novoflex that are available in various sizes and colors from Adorama or B&H.

Foam holds moisture. Moisture promotes fungus growth.

Ari
30-Nov-2017, 20:04
I've always left my lenses in the camera case/backpack along with the camera they'll be used with. A desiccant pack for each lens and one for the camera.
Until I read this thread, I had no idea I was doing anything wrong.

jp
30-Nov-2017, 20:29
The reel cases are all around awesome for camera stuff. They are great for dslr lenses, TLRs, etc..

Doremus Scudder
1-Dec-2017, 01:53
I've always left my lenses in the camera case/backpack along with the camera they'll be used with. A desiccant pack for each lens and one for the camera. Until I read this thread, I had no idea I was doing anything wrong.

You aren't! My lenses live in their respective camera cases/packs along with desiccant packs as well; they've been fine for 30+ years. I do like my homemade cardboard boxes just to keep things from rattling around too much, but otherwise, I'll pass on the "bullet-proof armored truck." :)

Doremus

Pere Casals
1-Dec-2017, 02:48
Foam holds moisture. Moisture promotes fungus growth.

This true, but there is a solution... closed cell foam does not retain humidity inside.

The other way with regular foam would be an extra dose of silica gel...

xkaes
1-Dec-2017, 06:14
It makes me wonder how many of you shutterbugs sleep with your lenses! I'll look up "Optimania" in my DSM-5, first chance I get.

Keith Pitman
1-Dec-2017, 06:39
Here’s another one: https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Willow-Creek-Fishing-Olive/dp/B00MK16L00/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512135275&sr=8-4&keywords=Fishing+reel+case

It’s particularily good if your name is “Allen.”

John Jarosz
1-Dec-2017, 10:26
May look excessive but I have different lenses for 8x10 and 8x20. That's what pickup trucks are for.

Ari
1-Dec-2017, 11:37
You aren't! My lenses live in their respective camera cases/packs along with desiccant packs as well; they've been fine for 30+ years. I do like my homemade cardboard boxes just to keep things from rattling around too much, but otherwise, I'll pass on the "bullet-proof armored truck." :)

Doremus

Thanks, Doremus; you just saved me a trip to the shrink's. :)

Alan Gales
3-Dec-2017, 11:06
Here’s another one: https://www.amazon.com/Allen-Willow-Creek-Fishing-Olive/dp/B00MK16L00/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1512135275&sr=8-4&keywords=Fishing+reel+case

It’s particularily good if your name is “Allen.”

Yeah, but they spelled it wrong! ;)

Alan Gales
3-Dec-2017, 11:12
I've always left my lenses in the camera case/backpack along with the camera they'll be used with. A desiccant pack for each lens and one for the camera.
Until I read this thread, I had no idea I was doing anything wrong.

That's too convenient, Ari! ;)

Actually, two of mine are in my camera bag (Klein wheeled cordura tool case) with my camera and the rest are in a bookshelf that has doors. All are in lens wraps ready to go.

Jim Andrada
5-Dec-2017, 11:24
+2 or 3 or whatever for the fishing real cases. I got mine from Cabela's. When I'm working out of the car the whole case (cases???)goes with me, otherwise I just pick a couple of the most likely. I'm not above taking the same photo with a couple of different lenses of the same approximate Focal Length.

Paul Ron
5-Dec-2017, 17:05
which cabela cases did you get?

my lens boards are 4x4

Jim Fitzgerald
5-Dec-2017, 18:04
Most all of my lenses for the studio are housed in the custom Walnut lens cabinet that I built. Others are in my custom J&J super sack lens wraps that we made. They are in the backpacks for the four systems that I use.

Jim Andrada
5-Dec-2017, 20:32
Mine are on Technika boards , which are approx 4 x 4. I got this one:

32-3254 CABELAS REEL CASE 2013, CABELAS REEL CASE 13 @ $29.99 each

Whether they're still $29.99 or not is a good question.

Edit: I don't see it on their web site anymore - but I think it's the small reel case that they list for the same price.The dividers in mine are exactly right for the Technika boards.

John Kasaian
5-Dec-2017, 21:03
US Postal Service card board boxes come in a 6"x6"x6" size. When I get one in the mail they are recycled as lens condos since my 'dorff boards are 6"x6" square. Some get dressed up in Crown Royal bags, others just sit in my roll top desk and others, when going on a shoot, I put in zip locks for protection against trail dust & weather. I've long wanted to build a fitted box for long term storage but never got around to it. Now I don't have any shop tools but maybe some day I will again and that project will be a priority.