PDA

View Full Version : Polaroid 55 ratings for negative

Kalpesh Lathigra
1-Aug-2005, 08:40
Hi ,

Wonder if someone can help out on rating polaroid 55 film, for getting a decent negative for printing.

What should the film be rated at...?

Also if I donot process straight away and do it when I get back to hotel, are there any problems I should be aware of....!

sorry if these are basic questions.........just moving on from the 35mm thing......!

Kal

Steve Hamley
1-Aug-2005, 08:56
I rate the negative at 25-30 and the print at 80.

Steve

Donald Qualls
1-Aug-2005, 09:43
From my reading, it's very common to see the negative rated at EI 25 to 32, as Steve suggested.

For delayed processing, the biggest hazard is mixing up your exposed and unexposed packets. If you have a foolproof method of keeping track, the only other thing to worry about is problems with the packet not locking into the holder correctly, which is generally a holder issue, rather than a film or delayed processing problem. And delayed processing greatly simplifies getting the negatives into the clearing bath promptly.

David A. Goldfarb
1-Aug-2005, 09:44
I rate the neg at 40, the print at 80. Carry a marker to mark the exposed packets.

Bosaiya
1-Aug-2005, 11:14
I shoot Type 55 all the time and rate the negtive t 25. Comes out great every time.

I also stick the negs in water for a while before putting them in the solution to clean the goop off. It makes the chemicals go much further.

Kalpesh Lathigra
1-Aug-2005, 11:30
Thanks guys appreciate all the input.....!

KAL

Benno Jones
1-Aug-2005, 12:03
The major problem I've had with saving Type 55 negs for later processing (and I've heard this from a few others as well) is difficulty getting it out of the holder (I have an older 545 not a 545i) without it coming apart and ruining it. For some reason the clip doesn't release and the cover comes out leaving the neg/pos sandwich in the holder where it gets exposed to light leaking in the slot. This doesn't happen when the switch is moved to the process position, only when the release switch is used to pull it out unprocessed. It also doesn't happen with Fuji Quickloads, so there must be something about Type 55. After losing 80% of my film to this I gave Type 55 up.

Will Strain
1-Aug-2005, 12:30
Benno - I'd say its a borked holder... my 545 (not the i version either) works just fine this way. Or mebbe i've just been lucky.

I rate at 25 - 40 depending on if I know I want extra highlight detail, and will be scanning.

Brian C. Miller
1-Aug-2005, 15:05
Benno, you have a problem with the holder. My 545 is fine.

I rate it at 100 for the print and 50 for the negative, but I give it about 5 seconds more time before pulling it apart.

John Berry ( Roadkill )
1-Aug-2005, 15:08
Once I have a print I like I open up one stop for the neg.

David R Munson
3-Aug-2005, 18:15
At least for studio work, I've found an EI of 32 to be just about perfect.