PDA

View Full Version : Toyo Help Needed

Danielkeysphotography
25-Nov-2017, 17:03
Hello, Like many others this is my first post so I’m not sure if I am doing this right but i need some information from you guys as my internet searching is bringing up very little.

I have just bought the frame and bellows for a Toyo Monorail fairly cheaply. However I am not 100% exactly what model it is.

I was wondering if anyone could help identify it.

Also I was wondering if anyone knew of the best place to buy a revolving ground glass back for it?

Any help would be greatly appreciated and I will most likely be looking for more answers on lenses and bellows later.

Dan

tgtaylor
25-Nov-2017, 17:38
It looks like an early G model. If it is then all current parts for the G will work on it as they are interchangeable with all G models. If there is a serial number on the parts, I'd call Toyo service http://www.toyoview.com/ServRepair/serv%26rep.html and see what they say. Revolving backs can be found on ebay amd new backs and Fresnel's from Toyo.

Thomas

consummate_fritterer
25-Nov-2017, 18:28
It looks more like an F Model to me. That stated, just about any bellows, back, lens board, rail/clamp from any F, G, GII, GX, or Robos will fit.

What did the seller do with the rail, clamp, back, etc?

B.S.Kumar
25-Nov-2017, 19:18
This is likely the Toyo E model, with manual shift. The G has this movement geared. Are the bellows fixed to the standards? If so, you definitely have the E. You already have one half of the back. You need the ground glass part, and if you want, the hood. You also need a rail, the rail clamp and lens boards. Send me a PM, and I should be able to help.

Kumar

consummate_fritterer
26-Nov-2017, 07:32
Kumar, that looks exactly like the Omega F I had many years ago.

B.S.Kumar
26-Nov-2017, 07:44
If the bellows is removable, this camera is called the Toyo 45C here. Omega imported Toyo cameras into the US.

Kumar

Danielkeysphotography
26-Nov-2017, 07:53
Hey guys thanks so much so far.

I have included some more images of it on the actual monorail which may help identify it.

B.S.Kumar
26-Nov-2017, 09:10
From the 3rd photo it looks as if the bellows is fixed to the frame. So, this model is the Toyo E, at least in Japan. Where are the end caps on the monorail? If you don't have them, you should fit plastic caps or something similar so that the standards don't slide off the rail. All you need now is a lens board and the ground glass to complete the camera.

Kumar

Danielkeysphotography
26-Nov-2017, 09:45
Ok great thank you Kumar! Thank you so much. Does it require a revolving back or do i simply need to add in the ground glass? Also where would be best to get things like the monorail caps from? Toyo itself?

Thank you again

Dan

David Lobato
26-Nov-2017, 10:29
You can install a ground glass yourself. It's not necessary to get a rotating back. The back you have will rotate 90, 180, or 270 degrees if you remove it and replace it via the sliding locks.

tgtaylor's link and Toyo Service have helped me several times with my Toyo questions and part ordering.

B.S.Kumar
26-Nov-2017, 12:41
I can get you the end caps and the ground glass back. Please send me a message - click on my name on the left and then on "Private Message".

Kumar

consummate_fritterer
26-Nov-2017, 15:18
Toyo backs came both with and without a Fresnel lens. If yours had a Fresnel then you need to get that too and assure it's the same thickness as the factory one. Otherwise, you'll have focus issues.

Danielkeysphotography
26-Nov-2017, 16:49
Toyo backs came both with and without a Fresnel lens. If yours had a Fresnel then you need to get that too and assure it's the same thickness as the factory one. Otherwise, you'll have focus issues.

How would i go about figuring out whether or not it has a fresnel?

consummate_fritterer
26-Nov-2017, 19:03
How would i go about figuring out whether or not it has a fresnel?

I can't remember for certain but I think the backs with Fresnel lenses had a recess for the Fresnel and the GG sits on top, holding the Fresnel in place.

I'm sure someone who knows for certain will chime in.

B.S.Kumar
26-Nov-2017, 19:25
All Toyo backs, including the battleship gray ones for the Toyo Deluxe, came with fresnel lenses. They are interchangeable with the modern black Toyo backs.

Kumar