PDA

View Full Version : Paper For Contact Printing

jamesthelast
14-Nov-2017, 07:29
Which papers are recommended for contact printing large format negatives?

Thom Bennett
14-Nov-2017, 07:45
These are the only traditional silver chloride papers I am aware of. (In the tradition of the papers Weston, etc. printed on.)

https://www.lodima.org/photographic-paper/

http://www.adox.de/Photo/lupex-contact-printing-paper/

Or any of the alt processes i.e. Pt/Pd, cyanotype, kallitype, etc. in which you make the emulsion yourself.

Tin Can
14-Nov-2017, 08:34
Any optical enlarging type paper can be used for contacts.

If just starting, out buy the cheapest sample RC.

locutus
14-Nov-2017, 10:50
I'm happy with my contact prints on simple Ilford RC MGIV and FB Classic, RC is cheap enough to experiment at will.

Ted R
14-Nov-2017, 12:56
Variable contrast enlarging papers are useful with contact printing because the dodging and burning we might apply under the enlarger is much more difficult with contact prints.

Willie
14-Nov-2017, 15:26
Why not start with the Silver Chloride contact printing papers to begin your journey? Might as well get used to handling and processing the papers that should give you the best result.
Check out http://michaelandpaula.com/mp/Azo_Writings.html and read from a master of contact printing with these papers.

The process is simple and good results are to be had if you have a workflow that is consistent.

Good prints can be made with any paper but those made specifically for contact printing do have an edge over the general purpose offerings. Why not take advantage of it at the start?

locutus
15-Nov-2017, 00:26
Adox Lupex is about 2.5 times as expensive per sheet as most other papers, one gets quite a bit more practice out of their money that way.....

Tim V
6-Feb-2019, 12:11
I'll revive this thread...

I'm interested in Adox Lupex paper. Can anyone comment on it? What's the tone / tint and texture like? How does it compare to Azo / Lodima? I see the latter is mostly out of stock, and with Michael's passing do you think they will make anymore?

dwross
6-Feb-2019, 15:19
These are the only traditional silver chloride papers I am aware of. (In the tradition of the papers Weston, etc. printed on.)

https://www.lodima.org/photographic-paper/

http://www.adox.de/Photo/lupex-contact-printing-paper/

Or any of the alt processes i.e. Pt/Pd, cyanotype, kallitype, etc. in which you make the emulsion yourself.

To that list I'll throw in handmade silver chloride paper (and chloride-bromide paper), arguably the newest "alt" process. However. I'll also second the suggestion of contact printing on Ilford Multigrade. Flexible, easy, and lovely.

Sal Santamaura
6-Feb-2019, 15:32
....I'm interested in Adox Lupex paper....What's the tone / tint and texture like?...I've processed it only in ADOX MCC Developer. The tone was extremely neutral with only a very, very slight hint of green that is readily eliminated by slight selenium toning. As for texture, every darkroom paper manufacturer seems to purchase the same fiber base from Schoeller, so all glossy papers today are essentially identical in terms of texture. If you've seen glossy Multigrade Classic or MCC 110, you've seen the texture of LUPEX.

...How does it compare to Azo / Lodima?...Azo in its final incarnation was single weight, exhibited color that could be varied widely using different developers and had a somewhat less textured surface. My only experience with Lodima involved early production that flaked off the base quite a bit, so I didn't pursue it beyond that. Others have reported substantial batch to batch variations in subsequent runs.

...with Michael's passing do you think they will make anymore?I've no idea. Perhaps you could contact Paula for a definitive answer.

Alan9940
6-Feb-2019, 21:36
I'll revive this thread...

I'm interested in Adox Lupex paper. Can anyone comment on it? What's the tone / tint and texture like? How does it compare to Azo / Lodima? I see the latter is mostly out of stock, and with Michael's passing do you think they will make anymore?

I process both Lupex and Lodima in Amidol. The Lupex, in this developer, has a lovely ever so slightly warm color; Lodima is neutral to my eye. Neither paper really has a texture... pretty much like any modern glossy FB paper. Contrast-wise, Lupex = Lodima grade 4.

Sal Santamaura
6-Feb-2019, 22:02
...Contrast-wise, Lupex = Lodima grade 4.Doesn't that depend on the batch of Lodima one's comparing Lupex to?

Tim V
7-Feb-2019, 02:24
I guess I'll just have to order a box to try it out, but wonder what the contrast is like compared to multigrade papers? I tend to print around grade 2-3, depending on neg. I develop my negatives in PMK. It's a shame they only offer Lupex in grade 3...

Alan9940
7-Feb-2019, 08:59
Doesn't that depend on the batch of Lodima one's comparing Lupex to?

Well...back when I received my first order of Lodima there was no grade 4 or Lupex available. Then, coincidentally Lupex and Lodima grade 4 hit the market at about the same time. There has been speculation that they are the same paper. I've never used Lodima grade 4. Also, MAS told me that his Lodima grade 4 was "like" Lupex...whatever that means exactly.

Alan9940
7-Feb-2019, 09:06
I guess I'll just have to order a box to try it out, but wonder what the contrast is like compared to multigrade papers? I tend to print around grade 2-3, depending on neg. I develop my negatives in PMK. It's a shame they only offer Lupex in grade 3...

If most of your prints are with a grade 2 - 3 filter on typical multigrade papers, then I'd suspect you won't like the contrast of Lupex. There are techniques you can use to reduce the Lupex contrast a bit, but... I would say Lodima grade 3 would be a better fit for you, but that grade has been sold out for a long time and who knows if there will be anymore Lodima once the current stock is all sold.

Tim V
8-Feb-2019, 13:38
Thanks for the advise. It's a shame these graded silver-chloride papers have pretty much gone the way of the dinosaur. I'm curious to try them and compare against my current MC fibre papers of choice. It might be a case of making my own paper at some stage, buy we'll see. Maybe experimenting with carbon printing–a completely different process, I know–is in my future. That long tonal range it affords might be analogous in some way, while at the same time offering other interesting qualities... Who knows...

LFLarry
2-Nov-2019, 20:30
Denise, what is your favorite paper to use with your silver chloride and chloride-bromide emulsions?

I recently purchased your book and plant to start down this path very soon.

I thought I would ask about your current favorite paper in case your opinion has changed since the production of the book.

To that list I'll throw in handmade silver chloride paper (and chloride-bromide paper), arguably the newest "alt" process. However. I'll also second the suggestion of contact printing on Ilford Multigrade. Flexible, easy, and lovely.

Michael Jones
3-Nov-2019, 15:25
Doesn't that depend on the batch of Lodima one's comparing Lupex to?

Sal:

You're showing your age with this one... :-)

Mike