PDA

View Full Version : Reccomendations for West Texas

ndwgolf
11-Nov-2017, 10:46
Looks like I might get an assignment in Midland Texas and was looking for a base location that I can easily fly into Midland, but also drive to nice LF photography locations on my days off. Initially I was thinking Houston or Dallas but to be honest I have no idea. I like shooting 8x10 and 4x5

Neil

xkaes
11-Nov-2017, 11:01
If you appreciate landscape photography, you are in a GREAT place. You will be equidistant from Big Bend NP, Guadeloupe Mts. NP, and Carlsbad Caverns NP. They are all different and one alone could use up all the film you could carry. I've been to all, and would not say one is better than the other. They are all different, but this is the best time of year to go. If you have time, visit all three, otherwise, check on line or get a book about them and pick your poison. No matter which you choose, you will have wished you went to the other(s).

David Lobato
11-Nov-2017, 12:05
I lived in Texas for 23 years and recently left. The size is enormous, thus it's too easy to underestimate the scale and huge open spaces. Midland to Houston is an all day drive for example. Generally, the farther west you go the better the landscapes for photography. That puts you in a prime location as suggested by xkaes. The Texas Hill Country between Midland and Interstate 35 also has scenic opportunities. The Texas State Parks are great for photos. Houston and Dallas are each far different from the areas of West Texas. If you like semi tropical forests, swamps and bayous, East Texas has a lot of that. Texas is very diverse.

Tin Can
11-Nov-2017, 12:26
OP says he will fly to Midland for work but can live elsewhere.

Draw a 3-500 mile circle around Midland and check airline connections.

I'd pick Albuquerque and Santa Fe.

xkaes
11-Nov-2017, 12:27
I should add, LF cameras are perfectly fine in the places I've listed -- except, POSSIBLY, Carlsbad. National Parks, etc. have rules and regs about professional photographers. 99% of the time this is not a problem, but some "staff" quickly assume that a LF camera means a professional. There is no point in debating with them. Just keep your gear out of sight. I've taken my 4x5 through Lehman Caves in Nevada. They did not have a problem with my gear -- and tripod of course -- but it was a ranger lead tour, so anything other than a snap shot was impossible. Carlsbad is usually not ranger lead, but you need to check with them about the details. Just FYI.

xkaes
11-Nov-2017, 16:18
And, this is a BIG "and", wherever you end up bring more Willie Nelson music than film!

Leszek Vogt
11-Nov-2017, 16:26
The sky at Big Bend NP is magical, since it's many miles from the nearest town. Some cool rock formations, as well. Don't forget White Sands.

Les

Leszek Vogt
11-Nov-2017, 16:28
Hmmm, should have mentioned the night sky.

Les

Willie
12-Nov-2017, 02:42
If you like "local flavor" there are plenty of interesting towns such as Turkey, Texas - the home of Bob Wills. Near Amarillo there is the Cadillac Ranch. Most any of the small towns will have buildings and interesting locations. Don't forget Texas High School football stadiums. Often bigger than small college stadiums in other States.

John Jarosz
12-Nov-2017, 15:41
Ha! I made a special trip to Big Bend for photography and Astronomy in late March a couple of years ago. We were there for 4 days. Clouded over day and night. No sun, no stars. So don't assume the good weather will be there even if you are there in prime season. Will I go back? Probably not, it's a long drive and Texas seems to have a lot of wasteland. :rolleyes:

But, Big Bend has a wonderful landscape, all you need is light

xkaes
12-Nov-2017, 16:08
But, Big Bend has a wonderful landscape, all you need is light

That's not the whole story. On the south east corner of BBNP, right across the Rio Grande river, is a small town -- Boquillas del Carmen in Mexico. You can see it from the US side. Lots of people cross over, all the time, every night -- to have dinner in Mexico. Yes, you have to wade across the river -- there is no bridge -- but this time of year it is easy. Bringing LF gear is another story.

Enjoy it while you can, before El Presidente builds "El Pared". Try to imagine where they would put it as you cross the river! Take a picture in the middle of the river -- for historical purposes!

And don't drink so much tequila that you can't get back across El Rio.

Willie
12-Nov-2017, 16:26
That's not the whole story. On the south east corner of BBNP, right across the Rio Grande river, is a small town -- Boquillas del Carmen in Mexico. You can see it from the US side. Lots of people cross over, all the time, every night -- to have dinner in Mexico. Yes, you have to wade across the river -- there is no bridge -- but this time of year it is easy. Bringing LF gear is another story.

Enjoy it while you can, before El Presidente builds "El Pared". Try to imagine where they would put it as you cross the river! Take a picture in the middle of the river -- for historical purposes!

And don't drink so much tequila that you can't get back across El Rio.

The wall will be 30 feet high and 20 feet wide so you can ride and walk on it. Designated a National Park they will charge admission and concessionaires will rent electric carts for you to ride on. A tripod Permit will be necessary for you for your LF gear. It will be built and hailed as better than the Great Wall of China!

snommisbor
20-Nov-2017, 13:37
I should add, LF cameras are perfectly fine in the places I've listed -- except, POSSIBLY, Carlsbad. National Parks, etc. have rules and regs about professional photographers. 99% of the time this is not a problem, but some "staff" quickly assume that a LF camera means a professional. There is no point in debating with them. Just keep your gear out of sight. I've taken my 4x5 through Lehman Caves in Nevada. They did not have a problem with my gear -- and tripod of course -- but it was a ranger lead tour, so anything other than a snap shot was impossible. Carlsbad is usually not ranger lead, but you need to check with them about the details. Just FYI.

I was just there a few weeks ago and took my 4x5 in and no problems whatsoever. I shot Velvia 50 and was doing 5 plus minute exposures and one over 10 minutes. When I go back I plan on shooting BW instead. The LED lights in there now are all the same color and gave a very bland color of the structures. BW would give you more detail in the textures. I ended up converting all my shots to BW for display. So do not hesitate to take that LF camera and tripod in at all.

Also Guadalupe Mountain NP is a great place. Some cool trails and great places to shoot.