PDA

View Full Version : Horseman 45HD owners ! What is your Fresnel placement?

nicemate1
9-Nov-2017, 10:47
Hello!

Can anyone who owns a Horseman 45HD help me double check something, please ?

I am trying to find out if, in the original assembly of the camera back, when the Horseman 45HD were originally produced and shipped, the Fresnel lens was between the ground glass and the lens, or between the ground glass and the viewer.

I am asking because on my camera body, which I bought second hand, I found it to be between the GG and the lens, which doesn't seem to be correct.

Thank you for your help.

Pietro

ic-racer
9-Nov-2017, 12:10
45 FA, the fresnel is between the GG and the lens, though on some Studio models you can place it on the other side of you desire. Though the HD did not come with the fresnel, it will fit right under the GG, like the FA, as the backs are otherwise identical.

A fresnel screen (lens) is an accessory for a groundglass focusing screen. It helps "even-out" the brightness of the groundglass image and make the image appear brighter. The effect is more noticeable with wide angle lenses. Fresnel lenses are essential when using reflex housings. Fresnel screens are standard equipment on Horseman models LS, LX, LX-C, FA and HD.
To install this fresnel screen on an LE, the groundglass must be removed. The fresnel is then placed in the frame first and the groundglass goes back in its original position. The "rough" side of the fresnel lens should contact the "ground" side of the groundglass.
In some applications it may be desirable to have a conveniently removable fresnel screen. Horseman also offers a Snap-On Attachment Kit (#47023831) for mounting the fresnel on the "photographer's side" of the groundglass. With this kit the fresnel can be magnetically attached and detached.

Focusing screen includes the fresnel with the FA, and not for the HD. Focusing hood is included with the FA, and not with the HD.

nicemate1
10-Nov-2017, 01:09
45 FA, the fresnel is between the GG and the lens, though on some Studio models you can place it on the other side of you desire. Though the HD did not come with the fresnel, it will fit right under the GG, like the FA, as the backs are otherwise identical.

Thank you for reply - on the quote you sent me it says that the 45HD came with a Fresnel, and mine indeed has one ! But, just to clarify, does this sound like correct?

Eyes ---- > Ground glass (grind side facing lens) ---- > Fresnel (groove side facing lens) ---- > Lens

Thank you !

ic-racer
10-Nov-2017, 06:44
Horseman factory literature and brochures from 1988 indicate the HD did not come with the fresnel, but B&H advertising from 1990s shows the HD WITH the fresnel.