PDA

View Full Version : Using MOD54 tank for devoloping 4x5 colour negs (First timer)

ndwgolf
2-Nov-2017, 14:07
Question
The MOD54 tank that I have at home works very well when I develop B&W 4x5 film. I am going to do my first 4x5 colour film but wondered if it is advisable to do the full 6 sheets at a time or maybe just 2 sheets at a time to start with?

Neil

Sandro
2-Nov-2017, 23:58
the question could be asked for all processes you try for the first time.
Regarding C41, I think the only difference is the number of baths, wich is much higher (you should include the water wash between the different steps).
In order to keep the process more manageble I decided to use a smatphone app, which guide me for the sequence and lenght of each step.
Than I got accustomed and I now use the app also for b&w!
Second issue not to forget: you need the same temperature for the whole process, in particular for the two developers.
If you think you can manage these two issue, why not developing all 6 sheet?
The process is very long in fact, doing it for 2 sheets only is a waste of time, IMHO.

Mick Fagan
3-Nov-2017, 15:25
The only reason I can see for not doing six sheets, is if there is uneven development.

Presumably you have done six sheets with B&W, if so and development has been alright, or maybe even perfect; then I would suggest C41 process would be the same.

Mick.

ndwgolf
3-Nov-2017, 15:36
The only reason I can see for not doing six sheets, is if there is uneven development.

Presumably you have done six sheets with B&W, if so and development has been alright, or maybe even perfect; then I would suggest C41 process would be the same.

Mick.
Thanks Mick......I will do it with 6 sheets :)

Neil

ndwgolf
3-Nov-2017, 15:37
the question could be asked for all processes you try for the first time.
Regarding C41, I think the only difference is the number of baths, wich is much higher (you should include the water wash between the different steps).
In order to keep the process more manageble I decided to use a smatphone app, which guide me for the sequence and lenght of each step.
Than I got accustomed and I now use the app also for b&w!
Second issue not to forget: you need the same temperature for the whole process, in particular for the two developers.
If you think you can manage these two issue, why not developing all 6 sheet?
The process is very long in fact, doing it for 2 sheets only is a waste of time, IMHO.
Cheers mate I will do it with 6 sheets
Pictures to follow

Neil

m00dawg
18-Nov-2017, 19:19
I do 4 sheets at a time because originally I was getting chemical staining where the MOD54 was holding onto the sheets. Seems to relate to the fixer not getting into those sections. It doesn't happen everytime though. I now think it's due to, at least in part, using the stirring stick to agitate rather than inverting the tank. For black and white I went back to inversions but since C-41 (the blix in particular) can stain, I'm not quite sure what my best options are. Last time I did C-41 sheets I didn't have any problems though. If you have room to make a mess I would consider doing inversions.

Apart from that, the MOD54 works pretty well. At some point I might spring for a JOBO 4x5 setup but it gets pricey quick.

Oh the other reason I do 4 sheets is that's how many sheets I have per PrintFile page.