PDA

View Full Version : Considering a Toyo 45g

Carography
1-Nov-2017, 19:42
I see a lot of Toyo 45g's on Ebay from Japan. (I live near Seattle). I was hoping I could get some input as to how versatile these cameras are. I know its a mono rail camera and not a field camera but I was wondering about its flexibility as far as extension rails, bag bellows, viewing hoods and the like.

Mainly are all Toyo accessories compatible with this camera.

Also, will I experience any import issues buying from Japan, duty and stuff like that?

I sold my last view camera about 25 years ago. I do not remember the model but it was a Toyo very similar to the 45G's. The Main difference being it did NOT have interchangeable bellows.
That camera looked like this,

B.S.Kumar
1-Nov-2017, 20:42
Most Toyo accessories are fully compatible among the various models, including the earlier Deluxe and D models. The earlier models used a thinner diameter rail, so rails and standards are different. Bellows, lens boards, backs are all compatible.

There is no customs duty on photographic items (at least for individuals) imported into the US.

Kumar

Tobias Key
2-Nov-2017, 03:21
I have a Toyo 45C and have generally been very happy with it. The only thing I would say is that the synthetic bellows on these cameras is very susceptible to pinholes so factor that in to any buying decision. It is straightforward to replace them however and new pattern bellows from China (easy to find on Ebay) are not that expensive.

pendennis
2-Nov-2017, 07:48
As to import fees, etc.; since these are used cameras, you don't often have to pay them on used equipment. I've bought thousands of dollars of used equipment from Japanese dealers, and I've never paid a penny on import duties.

The Japanese tend to underrate their equipment as far as condition goes. I bought a Mamiya 645 Pro TL described as "good condition", and it looked like it had never had a frame through it.

Domestically they're similar to KEH as far as grading goes.

Johnny LaRue
2-Nov-2017, 08:00
I started not long ago with LF and the camera I bought is a Toyo G series 4x5.
I think it's a great camera, and there seem to be endless ways of adding extensions, bellows and other stuff.
My camera came with two rails, so I can use one for regular work, and add the second rail for close-up or macro work.
The accessories are darn cheap, too, but the quality isn't cheap; it's really well-made, built like a moose!

John Olsen
2-Nov-2017, 09:23
I see a lot of Toyo 45g's on Ebay from Japan. (I live near Seattle). I was hoping I could get some input as to how versatile these cameras are. I know its a mono rail camera and not a field camera but I was wondering about its flexibility as far as extension rails, bag bellows, viewing hoods and the like.

Mainly are all Toyo accessories compatible with this camera.

As noted above, there are lots of accessories, including bag bellows and filter holders. I think your picture is an older model. Mine is a G-II and it has angle measures on the swings and tilts, generally looking a little more upscale. It's very solid, works smoothly and is rugged enough to carry (disassembled) in a backpack.

This is mine of 2006 vintage:

tgtaylor
2-Nov-2017, 10:23
Since you are after a monorail, I'd also consider the Toyo GX. It's Toyo's best rail camera to date and while not as plentiful as the GII they do pop up used at a relatively good price ($400 in excellent condition). I own its predecessor the ROBOS and can vouch for it.

http://toyoview.com/Products/45GII_45GX/45GII_45GX.html

Thomas

David Lobato
2-Nov-2017, 11:21
About 30 years ago I had a Toyo 45E that was like the one in the OP's photo. I have a 45D now and would like to find a 45G because prices are low and affordable. They have almost everything I'd ever need. As I remember the 45G was the top of the line until the 45GII, 45GX and VX series arrived.

I've had a 45A Field camera for 30 years but find still lifes and static setups easier with the 45D monorail camera. Toyo has many interchangeable parts and adapters that I appreciate.

B.S.Kumar
2-Nov-2017, 15:47
The differences between the Toyo G and GII are the all-black appearance and the rubber covered knobs. Both are the same in all other respects. The GX adds base tilts, while the Robos is similar to the Sinar P.

Kumar

John Olsen
2-Nov-2017, 16:13
Kumar: Is the OP's photo a G or not? There are several structural differences from the G-II in my photo above, more than just rubber knobs.

B.S.Kumar
2-Nov-2017, 16:20
The OP's camera looks like the budget Toyo 45E. It was sold under the Omega brand name in the US.

Kumar

Kinografx
2-Nov-2017, 17:06
I loved my toyo G, but moved to a smaller field camera. If you ever can make it down to Portland, it's sitting on consignment at the always-fun-to-visit Blue Moon Camera in St Johns neighborhood.

Mick Fagan
2-Nov-2017, 22:15
This is my 45G, which is a superb camera. Everything is geared and has beautiful locks to ensure that once you set something, it stays that way.

This is with a 65mm lens (mounted to a recessed board) and standard bellows, doable, but a bag bellows would really be neat.

This is with a Komura 400T. If you look carefully you can see the 45 G on the bottom front plate.

Note the scales on the sides, as you go up the scale you see the 5x7 and 8x10 marks for neutral positioning of the lens.

I used both 4x5" and 8x10" versions of these cameras around 28 years ago in a studio environment; never thought I would be able to afford one of these beautiful cameras at a rock bottom price.

Mick.

Carography
4-Nov-2017, 14:24
Well, I'm back in the large format club. Just bought a 45g from ebay. On its way from Japan.
This photo was from the eBay ad.
Question #1: What lens board fits on the lens board in the photo, or do I have to wait till it gets here to tell?

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. Your input was very helpful.

I am very excited. I have lots of decisions and $hopping to do. I'm going to start by finding a 210mm lens. Ill be searching and posting for more answers.

Mick Fagan
4-Nov-2017, 15:25
Technika.

Look at the previoous post of mine with the photo of my 45G with the telephoto lens on; you can just make out the Technika name. That is possibly the best way to mount lenses on several cameras as I do.

Below is my Fujinon 90mm lens mounted onto a Technika type board. It is fitted to my Shen Hao 4x5 wooden folder and then my Toyo 45G.

Mick.

Tobias Key
4-Nov-2017, 15:26
Well, I'm back in the large format club. Just bought a 45g from ebay. On its way from Japan.
This photo was from the eBay ad.
Question #1: What lens board fits on the lens board in the photo, or do I have to wait till it gets here to tell?

Thanks to everyone who replied to this post. Your input was very helpful.

I am very excited. I have lots of decisions and $hopping to do. I'm going to start by finding a 210mm lens. Ill be searching and posting for more answers.

Toyo made two adapter boards. One for toyo field boards and one for linhof boards. Hard to say from the photo. You can always take the adaptor out and use Toyo View boards which are cheaper than the smaller boards anyway.

B.S.Kumar
4-Nov-2017, 16:55
That is a Technika adapter. You can see the angles at the bottom left and right.

Toyo also made adapter boards for Speed Graphic boards (used on the Toyo Super Speed Graphic). In addition to the flat boards shown above, they also made recessed adapter boards for all three. These make it super easy to use wide angle lenses on the Toyo. I have all these boards available.

Kumar

Kinografx
4-Nov-2017, 18:08
One accessory I found really useful was a toyo monocular finder, kind of a giant loupe that clips onto the gg/back so you can see the whole glass magnified without a dark cloth. Oh, so many accessories to consider! :)