PDA

View Full Version : Do I really need a second lens for 8x10

ndwgolf
1-Nov-2017, 11:16
I currently own a Chamonix 8x10 with one lens and a Chamonix 45N2 with 3 lenses. My question is am I missing out by only having one lens for my 8x10 its the Kowa Graphic 360mm.........I love that lens ;) :) :)

Since starting shooting LF with my 8x10 I am mainly shooting landscape and portraiture............I find that lens works perfect for both

Neil

consummate_fritterer
1-Nov-2017, 11:25
"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows!"

Maybe the Shadow can provide an answer. :D

I like lots of options but some are very happy with one lens.

Alan9940
1-Nov-2017, 11:30
If you're happy with one lens, then continue on creating wonderful images. For me, though I have several lenses for my 8x10, my second most used lens (a 360mm being the most used) is a 240mm which provides roughly a 35mm on small format view.

xkaes
1-Nov-2017, 11:42
Assuming that you have an 8x10 enlarger -- a BIG if -- then you can always crop, but you can't get any wider, of course.

Since you like landscapes, think about what 4x5 landscape lens you use. If it is wider than a 180mm on 4x5, then you might want something wider than your 360mm -- assuming that you don't already have a 4x5 lens that will cover 8x10 and is shorter than 360mm. Let's say you like a 125mm on 4x5, you could get a 250mm for 8x10 -- and sell your 4x5 250mm, assuming you have one.

ndwgolf
1-Nov-2017, 11:43
I was thinking something in the 800mm length for head jobs as I enjoy shooting pretty models..............but have yet to find anything like that.

If you're happy with one lens, then continue on creating wonderful images. For me, though I have several lenses for my 8x10, my second most used lens (a 360mm being the most used) is a 240mm which provides roughly a 35mm on small format view.

ndwgolf
1-Nov-2017, 11:54
Assuming that you have an 8x10 enlarger -- a BIG if -- then you can always crop, but you can't get any wider, of course.

Since you like landscapes, think about what 4x5 landscape lens you use. If it is wider than a 180mm on 4x5, then you might want something wider than your 360mm -- assuming that you don't already have a 4x5 lens that will cover 8x10 and is shorter than 360mm. Let's say you like a 125mm on 4x5, you could get a 250mm for 8x10 -- and sell your 4x5 250mm, assuming you have one.
Hello Jake
My 4x5 lenses are 90, 210 and 360mm. I have never tried any of these lenses on my 8x10 (To be honest I didn't think they would work, but I was only guessing). I really like that close up on your face kind of pictures and on the 8x10 I can somewhat get that but I wondered what it would be like to use something at say 120mm 135 equivalent
Here is one I posted the other day of a head and shoulders shot but would really like to get closer
https://www.dropbox.com/s/syedd3iicsi6jnm/Neil%27s-Photography200-Edit.jpg?raw=1

Harold_4074
1-Nov-2017, 12:00
On the assumption that 800mm is meant seriously, you need to play around with the focal length/magnification/image distance equations to see what will work on your camera. You might be surprised to discover that for a tight head shot, your camera bellows will be the limiting factor---if you have 800mm of bellows, an 800mm lens will be working no closer than infinity, so the model will have to be very, very pretty to make the picture worthwhile :)

xkaes
1-Nov-2017, 12:02
Sounds like you are talking about something like a 400mm to 500mm. A 400mm would not be much more noticeable than a 360, so look at the 500-600mm range, but that creates a lot of issues, such as size, weight, cost, bellows extension, etc.

Leigh
1-Nov-2017, 12:05
if you have 800mm of bellows, an 800mm lens will be working no closer than infinity...
That's not exactly correct.

The lensboard will be forward of the film by a distance equal to the Flange Focal Length of the lens.

With long lenses the FFL may be substantially less than the optical focal length.

But the general idea is correct. An 800mm lens will use up most of an 800mm bellows at infinity focus.

- Leigh

Leigh
1-Nov-2017, 12:14
I currently own a Chamonix 8x10 with one lens and a Chamonix 45N2 with 3 lenses.
My question is am I missing out by only having one lens for my 8x10 its the Kowa Graphic 360mm.........I love that lens ;) :) :)
Hi Neil,

This question poses two questions...
1 - What subject matter do you expect to shoot?
2 - How do you plan to produce prints from your 8x10 negatives?

If you have an 8x10 enlarger, the number of required focal lengths is reduced.

I'm a fanatic about getting exactly the image I want on the film, no more, no less. Consequently I have about 20 different lenses for my 4x5 camera. Disregarding a couple of macro lenses, these are all different focal lengths.

The wide assortment is much easier than schlepping the camera/tripod all over the place to get the framing I want.

I do not have the same luxury with the 8x10.
There are far fewer suitable lenses, and bellows length can be a limiting factor.

- Leigh

Pawlowski6132
1-Nov-2017, 12:20
I use two: 450mm and 150mm. The latter for close-up work.

Harold_4074
1-Nov-2017, 12:23
Leigh is right, of course. And it is also possible to use an extension lensboard or a telephoto design.

But a glance at the Chamonix website showed that the 8x10 has a maximum bellows extension of 680mm. Ignoring the various offsets and mounting options, a 1:1 image (about as tight a headshot as I would ever want!) will dictate a 340 mm lens (and focusing will be a lot of fun, both because of the shallow depth of field and the fact that at 1:1 you have to move the camera, not just the lens...)

I went through this exact exercise some years back when I acquired an 8x10 Cambo Legend. I already owned a 360 at the time, and naively thought that a 480 would give me both a larger image and better perspective.

For really tight headshots contact-printed from 8x10 negatives, it is probably going to be hard to beat an 11x14 camera with a reducing back.

Bruce Watson
1-Nov-2017, 12:49
My question is am I missing out by only having one lens for my 8x10 its the Kowa Graphic 360mm.........I love that lens ;) :) :)

You only *need* new equipment if you can't do what you need to get done using your existing equipment. Note that *need* is not the same thing as *want*.

So... are there pictures you can't make because you don't have a different lens? No? Then you don't need another lens.

ndwgolf
1-Nov-2017, 13:01
Hi Neil,

This question poses two questions...
1 - What subject matter do you expect to shoot?
2 - How do you plan to produce prints from your 8x10 negatives?

If you have an 8x10 enlarger, the number of required focal lengths is reduced.

I'm a fanatic about getting exactly the image I want on the film, no more, no less. Consequently I have about 20 different lenses for my 4x5 camera. Disregarding a couple of macro lenses, these are all different focal lengths.

The wide assortment is much easier than schlepping the camera/tripod all over the place to get the framing I want.

I do not have the same luxury with the 8x10.
There are far fewer suitable lenses, and bellows length can be a limiting factor.

- Leigh
1/. I enjoy shooting landscape and pretty models
2/. I currently scan my 8x10 negs and print from a digital printer and also make contract prints. With my 4x5 negs I will be wet printing those in my darkroom (I do not own a 8x10 enlarger)

Neil

ndwgolf
1-Nov-2017, 13:04
You only *need* new equipment if you can't do what you need to get done using your existing equipment. Note that *need* is not the same thing as *want*.

So... are there pictures you can't make because you don't have a different lens? No? Then you don't need another lens.

That's exactly what I am thinking hence the initial question??

Neil

ndwgolf
1-Nov-2017, 13:10
Has anyone tried the Nikor 600mm T ED lens on a 8x10............I'm not even sure if its a 8x10 lens but there are a few for sale on eBay for around a grand..........theirs also a bunch of old brass lenses on ebay (Soft Focus lenses) that look very old and are really expensive

Neil

xkaes
1-Nov-2017, 13:13
But a glance at the Chamonix website showed that the 8x10 has a maximum bellows extension of 680mm. Ignoring the various offsets and mounting options, a 1:1 image (about as tight a headshot as I would ever want!) will dictate a 340 mm lens

The Fujinon C 600mm only needs 573mm of extension with an IC of 620mm. Their 450mm lenses offer ICs from 490-520mm with flange focal lengths from 425-445mm. There are many other similar lenses, so plenty to choose from with a 680mm bellows. But if you REALLY want to get close, a shorter lens might fill the bill -- even one designed for 4x5 at infinity that does not cover 8x10 at infinity.

ndwgolf
1-Nov-2017, 13:27
But if you REALLY want to get close, a shorter lens might fill the bill -- even one designed for 4x5 at infinity that does not cover 8x10 at infinity.Please can you try and help me understand that statement ?

Neil

Jac@stafford.net
1-Nov-2017, 14:36

Excellent, thanks. And perhaps someone can guide the OP through the use of convertible lenses. I know about them, had one but never used it (broken shutter - canned it) and I don't comment upon what I have not applied.

So - a convertible lens?

Alan9940
1-Nov-2017, 14:45
The Fujinon C 600mm only needs 573mm of extension with an IC of 620mm.

A beautiful lens that I'd love to have for my 8x10, but they don't appear very often and when they do...better be prepared to max out the credit card. Two are currently for sale on the 'bay: $3,880 and $4,900! A bit rich for this photographer's blood. ;)

xkaes
1-Nov-2017, 14:48
Please can you try and help me understand that statement ?

Neil

Sure. The image circle for a lens is listed for infinity, but the image circle INCREASES as you focus away from infinity -- AKA, the subject is closer to the lens/film. So a lens designed for a smaller format will cover a larger format -- if the subject is close enough. Check out:

http://www.subclub.org/fujinon/

I use microscope lenses on my 4x5 cameras because the subject is so close to the lens.

Alan Gales
1-Nov-2017, 15:41
I own 250mm, 14" (about 360mm) and 16" (about 480mm) lenses. So mild wide, normal and mild long lenses.

I could probably get by with just the 14" normal focal length. There is nothing wrong with that if it's what you want to do.

mdm
1-Nov-2017, 15:47
Apparently Paul Strand only used 1 lens, the same lens on both 5x7 and 8x10 too. I have too many lenses myself and most often use the same focal length again and again. We are spoiled in our prosperous lives and I am certain that more choices limits creativity. Less is more.

Leigh
1-Nov-2017, 15:59
We are spoiled in our prosperous lives and I am certain that more choices limits creativity.
That is certainly true.

One multi-week assignment that we gave everyone at the photo school was go take a 35mm camera out with only one lens, or a zoom lens taped to a single focal length. Take all shots at that FL and present them for discussion.

Some students really enjoyed this limitation, others hated it.
I suppose it's all in how you view the world through the viewfinder.

- Leigh

Daniel Unkefer
1-Nov-2017, 16:24
I have a Zeiss 590mm Apo Planar, and a 600mm Apo Ronar, and they are both great lenses for 8x10 tight headshots.
But that's on Sinar Normas and bellows draw is never an issue

Mark Sawyer
1-Nov-2017, 16:26
Lenses are like beer. No, you don't need another one. Unless you're a lensoholic, and then, yeah, you need another, and another, and another...

consummate_fritterer
1-Nov-2017, 16:29
LOL... that's funny, Mark. :D

Vaughn
1-Nov-2017, 16:36
Sure. The image circle for a lens is listed for infinity, but the image circle INCREASES as you focus away from infinity ...

I used a Fuji W 250/6.7 on my 11x14 the other day. No movements, focused a little closer than infinity, and closed down to f64. Lost the image in a couple corners, but now I know I can use it for close-ups.

With 8x10 I used just a 300mm lens (Fuji W 300/5.6) for years. No portraits, though. I have several more lenses now...Fuji W 250/6.7 and Fuji W 360/6.3 in shutters (handy for portraits and out in the sunlight) and several process lens w/o shutters (great under the redwoods -- 210mm and two RD Artars -- 19" and 24"). Unless I have a particular image in mind, I tend to stick the shuttered lenses in my pack.

If I took just one, I would take the 250mm for tight places, the 300mm for walks in the woods, and perhaps the 360mm for wide open places...but just the 300mm for a mix of everything.