PDA

View Full Version : Shutter release reccomendations

ndwgolf
30-Oct-2017, 12:10
Ive now had two shutter release cables from B&H both 20 plus inches long and neither of them will trigger my lenses...............when you push in the plunger ~2 inches only 1/2 inch will pop out of the other end
Can someone recommend something that they use and it works/?

Neil

Leszek Vogt
30-Oct-2017, 12:19
I have a 36"+ Gepe vinyl (from B&H) and it gives me about an inch at the end, when released. Also, it has a lock and it feels solid.

Les

BrianShaw
30-Oct-2017, 12:20
I’ve always had “problems “ with long releases. They need to be fairly straight, not coiled or curved, to work well. Experiment with that in mind to see if it alleviates the binding that you are experiencing. Or do like me... 6 to 12 inch cable releases.

Luis-F-S
30-Oct-2017, 12:42
Why don't you call B&H and ask them?

xkaes
30-Oct-2017, 12:59
As mentioned, some (most?) work better when straight, plus others are adjustable at the bottom (and top?). Perhaps yours is and you don't know it. Plus, some come loose at the top or bottom and that can be the cause.

John Layton
30-Oct-2017, 13:35
I've always liked the flexibility and suppleness of cloth-covered releases - but most of these have seemed plagued by very short lifespans...furthermore tending to fail at rather inopportune moments. Then someone mentioned that I should try Pentax (20") cloth releases. I must say that they are extremely well made...and now I've got them attached to all of my lenses!

ndwgolf
30-Oct-2017, 13:43
I just bought one of these from Gebr. Schreck Feinmechanik

John Kasaian
30-Oct-2017, 14:27
Ive now had two shutter release cables from B&H both 20 plus inches long and neither of them will trigger my lenses...............when you push in the plunger ~2 inches only 1/2 inch will pop out of the other end
Can someone recommend something that they use and it works/?

Neil

I've migrated to Gepe Pros save for a solitary Minette. The Gepes will fire the big Universals while the Minette will not so it hangs out with the Nikon and Rolleiflex.

Alan Gales
30-Oct-2017, 15:35
I own Gepe cloth covered cables and Prontor cables. Prontors, you will have to find on the used market. Both are long throw and will work with my Ilex shutters.

Jac@stafford.net
30-Oct-2017, 17:46
I am blessed to live with woman who can grow bunches of anything.

Alan Gales
31-Oct-2017, 11:11
I am blessed to live with woman who can grow bunches of anything.

I had a ton of cable releases. I used to sell camera gear on Ebay. I liked to buy someones's whole kit and then part it out so I collected quite a few cable releases. I kept the best ones and sometimes included a cheap cable release with a camera or lens auction. I also collected a ton of 4x5 film holders. I sold quite a few to Craigslist buyers for $5 each or 6 for $25.

The funny thing about Craigslist is that I have sold quite a few things through Craigslist but I have never listed anything on there. I'd just run across people looking for stuff I had. :)

xkaes
31-Oct-2017, 13:13
I was once blessed by living with a woman who "collected" pens and pencils. I eventually had to move out because there wasn't any room left -- FOR ME!!!

Jim Andrada
3-Nov-2017, 01:33
I use the Gebr Shreck releases as well - I think they make the Gepe's

But the best long throw releases I've found have been old Prontors from eBay - the kind that have a couple of "wings" under the release button. They fire everything up to and including my Luc shutter.

Alan Gales
3-Nov-2017, 09:01
I use the Gebr Shreck releases as well - I think they make the Gepe's

But the best long throw releases I've found have been old Prontors from eBay - the kind that have a couple of "wings" under the release button. They fire everything up to and including my Luc shutter.

Yeah, I also heard that Gebr Shreck made the Gepe cable releases.

I once compared my Prontors to my Gepes and the Prontors are indeed longer in "throw" length than my Gepes. Both fire my old Ilex shutters with no problem. I don't have a Luc shutter though.

Jim Andrada
3-Nov-2017, 13:26
I've had a few (mostly "press type" - ie self cocking) shutters that the Gepe/Schreck wouldn't fire. But the Prontor does the trick for everything.

Patrick13
3-Nov-2017, 13:53
Are there any good pneumatic ones that will run out 6-10+ feet and still have enough plunger depth to trigger old shutters?

Jim Andrada
3-Nov-2017, 15:47
There are pneumatic releases around. I have one here somewhere but haven't checked if it's long enough. Nice thing is that you can trigger them from quite a distance. If I can find mine I'll check the throw.

John Kasaian
4-Nov-2017, 19:45
Are there any good pneumatic ones that will run out 6-10+ feet and still have enough plunger depth to trigger old shutters?

IIRC, Degroffs are pneumatic

ndwgolf
5-Nov-2017, 04:59
I just bought a Schrek. I hope it will fire my Kown Graphic 360mm f9 as that is my only lens

I've had a few (mostly "press type" - ie self cocking) shutters that the Gepe/Schreck wouldn't fire. But the Prontor does the trick for everything.

ndwgolf
5-Nov-2017, 05:00
I just bought a Schrek. I hope it will fire my Kown Graphic 360mm f9 as that is my only lens

ndwgolf
5-Nov-2017, 05:09

Jim Andrada
5-Nov-2017, 15:28
The pneumatic release I have is a DeGroff. Just not sure how long the throw is. Gotta hunt for it.