PDA

View Full Version : Cutting Seemless Paper Background

Goldman
28-Oct-2017, 07:04
I purchased a roll of white seamless background paper 53 inches wide and 36 ft long. I need to cut it to 48 inches to fit my mobile studio. How can I cut it? I am thinking to use a wooden saw. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Bill

mdarnton
28-Oct-2017, 07:37
A wooden saw won't cut anything, but a wood saw might. :-) You have the right idea, though. I'd use a band saw, because I have one, but for this job a cheap coping saw would do the tidiest job.

Richard Wasserman
28-Oct-2017, 08:16
Or a hacksaw. A fine blade saw will be your friend, although I would use whatever I could lay my hands on the easiest. How neat does the cut need to be? You could also use a sharp utility knife and make several passes around the roll. A 36 foot roll is not very big, and it of course is only paper and cardboard.

Goldman
28-Oct-2017, 09:43
Thank you all. I bought a saw "Irwin" with a very fine blade for $10.00 and cut the paper. I also cut a lens board for my 5x7. I am happy.

Thanks again
Bill

Fred L
28-Oct-2017, 15:35
If I had to do it again, I would use a handsaw, preferably one that cut on the pull stroke. I used a hacksaw once and swore I would never do that again. The core proved especially taxing lol.

Jim Andrada
28-Oct-2017, 22:38
One of the fine-kerf Japanese hand saws should work - they cut on the pull stroke.