PDA

View Full Version : Competition Printing

CassJohnson
19-Oct-2017, 13:19
I've been invited to submit an 11 x 14 print for an upcoming competition. I am going to be submitting one of my favorite B&W prints that I created from layered negatives.
I am thinking of making a fiber based type print so I can do some good archival toning. But I am looking for options that would give my print the absolute best "pop" as well as greatest detail and archival quality.
So I'm wondering what some of you might think my best options would be. Paper selection, chemicals, toners and so on.
Thanks in advance.

karl french
19-Oct-2017, 15:19
Wow. Might be a little late to start changing things. But Ilford Warm Tone Fiber paper is quite beautiful. I generally don't tone prints unless I have to (kallitypes.) How are you currently printing the image?

LabRat
19-Oct-2017, 15:51
The best advice is to stick with the program, and print with what you print best... If you try new materials, processes etc, you may not have the time to get onto the learning curve and learn the ropes of the new elements you are introducing into the process, so what you have been working with will give the best results as you have the most experience with them...

Bear in mind that there are many "looks" that you can print into, and your neg and effect will look better/worse with different materials/processes, so think what would "marry" all the elements together, and use that as a starting point... Now is not the time to break new ground, but use what you know (better)...

Generally in competitions, the image and intent are the most important elements, but having a nice print with nothing to distract from that carries the "message"...

Do what you do, but the best you can!!! Good luck!!!

Steve K

CassJohnson
19-Oct-2017, 16:17
Wow. Might be a little late to start changing things. But Ilford Warm Tone Fiber paper is quite beautiful. I generally don't tone prints unless I have to (kallitypes.) How are you currently printing the image?

I've printed this image before, and I think I would like to change things up a bit this time around. I think I've got a better feel for where I want to go.
I'm right at my decision making process really, and I have some experience in the darkroom. I haven't tried everything, but I'm a really fast learner, and I understand processes. I'm thinking of possibly doing some split toning with sulphide and selenium.
But what I'm really looking for is some feedback before I make my final decision (which might change after an hour in the darkroom.) I've also seen someone triple tone an image with great results by adding sepia after sulphid and selenium.

jp
19-Oct-2017, 16:23
Most photo "competitions" I've see are based on viewing jpegs rather than prints. But, once selected, you might as well have a quality print. If you can make it look better than inkjet, then you're ahead of the curve. As mentioned, use what you know. I wouldn't make a suggestion of any aesthetic choices without seeing the photo.

CassJohnson
19-Oct-2017, 16:45
This particular competition is from juried entries that are from jpegs. Then once the image is selected for submission I will supply them with a final print for the actual competition.