PDA

View Full Version : Ilex 3 queries

tonyowen
18-Oct-2017, 10:33
I've just obtained an Ilex No 3 Universal marked with #2,249540 & #2355825 on the back.
1] I'm having great difficulty in using the cable release - none of the three (tapered end) cable releases (with differing length of protrusion) will activate the shutter. From googling the problem it seems to be common!!
Are there any known and reliable answers??
2] The shutter came with a one 'shutter protector(??????) which was a glass disk that screws into the circa 44mm female lens thread [see images].
Assuming the shutter is used with a lens mounted behind or in front, can this glass disc be used to protect the exposed shutter blades [through the open rear or front44mm port)? Also in this case the shutter aperture would be fully open and the aperture setting on the lens(es) used.
3]Any comments and observations about using this shutter will be most welcome.

regards
Tony

mdarnton
18-Oct-2017, 12:41
You need a long-throw release, one where the tip sticks out farther than normal. There are some older German brands that work, and I'm sure someone will remind us what they are. I use cheap ebay cable releases, black with two ears to grab the fingers. They cost about $2 each. Only the short ones work; the longer ones only work if you use them straight--bend them at all and the tip recedes and won't reach far enough.

tgtaylor
18-Oct-2017, 13:15
I had the same problem with an Alphax 5 shutter. I bought it to a camera store that sold new and used gear including darkroom and LF. They must have had 200 used cable releases and after trying a couple of dozen found one that worked. It's throw is 3/4". My Ilex 5 shutter requires a 1/2" throw.

Thomas

tgtaylor
18-Oct-2017, 20:41
Upon further reflection, it wasn't a used cable release but a new Samigon: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/91953-REG/Samigon_BSA893_Heavy_Duty_Cable_Release_with.html

Thomas

tonyowen
19-Oct-2017, 10:09
I've got a cable release that has a 1" 'throw'.
This works sometimes, but quite often it seems as though the 'plunger' is sliding off the trigger and going into some void [forgive the words - I cannot think of better ones].
I guess I should open the shutter up and see what might have moved but ..............
regards
Tony