PDA

View Full Version : Crown graphic for wet plate?

thevegasrealtor
13-Oct-2017, 09:40
Hi all! Just wanted to ask if a crown graphic would be an okay camera for a wet plate beginner? What are the advantages or disadvantages of having a focal plane shutter? Can you sync it with a flash to decrease exposure times?

morecfm
13-Oct-2017, 10:12
Crown graphics do not have focal plane shutters. The Speed Graphics are the models with the focal plane shutters.

williaty
13-Oct-2017, 10:15
1) Crown Graphic does not have a focal plane shutter (the Speed Graphic has one).
2) Yes, you can do wet plate with strobe, but it takes a TON of power to do it. 4,000J in a high-efficiency silver reflector about 10 inches from the subject works out about right for a main light. That's a pop you feel like someone just opened the oven if you're the subject.
3) Exposures with wet plate are LONG. Seconds, at minimum. Your hat makes a perfectly fine shutter.

Dan Fromm
13-Oct-2017, 10:19
Speed Graphics have focal plane shutters, as has already been mentioned in post #2 above. These shutters do not sync with electronic flash. They do sync with class FP flash bulbs, time to peak 20 ms, duration 25 - 60 ms.

thevegasrealtor
13-Oct-2017, 17:30
Thanks for the info. So I can still use the crown since it doesn't have the shutter then I suppose. What are your thoughts on these 3:

1) burke and james view camera
2) linhof 45s kardan
3) graflex graphic view

Jim Jones
13-Oct-2017, 21:07
The Graflex Graphic view camera is a favorite of mine. I've also used a variety of B&J view cameras and found them quite functional, if not as elegant, as the Graphic. Newer Graphic View cameras came with a Graflok back, which may be an advantage for some photographers.

williaty
13-Oct-2017, 21:43
I was given a Graphic View (original) camera and it re-kindled my interest in LF photography. It's just so small and light that it makes working with it really easy and enjoyable without any of the downsides to larger monorail cameras. Trade off is that it's not fancy and it's not very adaptable to do unusual things. I definitely like mine.

thevegasrealtor
14-Oct-2017, 00:16
I was given a Graphic View (original) camera and it re-kindled my interest in LF photography. It's just so small and light that it makes working with it really easy and enjoyable without any of the downsides to larger monorail cameras. Trade off is that it's not fancy and it's not very adaptable to do unusual things. I definitely like mine.

The one I'm looking at states no rail mount. Is that something easily bought or am I gonna have hard time finding one?

thevegasrealtor
14-Oct-2017, 00:19
The Graflex Graphic view camera is a favorite of mine. I've also used a variety of B&J view cameras and found them quite functional, if not as elegant, as the Graphic. Newer Graphic View cameras came with a Graflok back, which may be an advantage for some photographers.

Do you know if the b&j 4x5 view camera has a rotating back?

LabRat
14-Oct-2017, 00:48
Any 4x5 will do (if that's the final size you want), but I can't help from cringing a little that many cameras might be commandeered to sloppy wet plate duty that might damage them at some point, and future users of film will have to deal with the messes...

I think WP users should consider building/buying their own specialized cameras for the process, and besides, the cameras can be made to match the cameras used in the WP era...

Good luck, but be careful with that thing (and the process)!!!

Steve K

thevegasrealtor
14-Oct-2017, 03:00
Any 4x5 will do (if that's the final size you want), but I can't help from cringing a little that many cameras might be commandeered to sloppy wet plate duty that might damage them at some point, and future users of film will have to deal with the messes...

I think WP users should consider building/buying their own specialized cameras for the process, and besides, the cameras can be made to match the cameras used in the WP era...

Good luck, but be careful with that thing (and the process)!!!

Steve K

I was thinking of building my own but I figured the cost would come out about the same as buying an older beater camera. I'll have to research diy builds little more.

Jimi
14-Oct-2017, 03:36
I would stick to buying something - just about anything will do for starters, and then get to grips with the process itself. 4x5 is good to learn on, you could even go smaller but that's a subject for some other forum. :)

Getting a decent plate done from start to end will take some practice, so put the effort in there, IMHO.

williaty
14-Oct-2017, 08:21
The one I'm looking at states no rail mount. Is that something easily bought or am I gonna have hard time finding one?

Very hard time finding one and there's no substitute for it since nothing else uses the Graphic View rail. Don't buy it.

Pere Casals
14-Oct-2017, 08:31
Hi all! Just wanted to ask if a crown graphic would be an okay camera for a wet plate beginner? What are the advantages or disadvantages of having a focal plane shutter? Can you sync it with a flash to decrease exposure times?

The advantage of a focal plane shutter (of the Speed Graphic model) is that you can use old "Barrel" lenses that have no shutter.

Let me explain the "M" and "X" selector some shutters have. The X position is for today's electronic flashes, it triggers the flash just when it has to be fired.

The "M" position is for old "medium (ignition) speed" bulbs, the flash is triggered 20ms in advance to give time to the bulb to reach enough lightning power.

If you use the venerable Crown Graphic with its lens an original lens as Xenar f4.7 135mm you have a PC connector for flash in the Compur shutter, you have to set the X position in the selector, if you place it in the M position your electronic flash will fire before shutter is well open.

If you have the original lens with the Crown camera the telemeter should work well matched with the lens.

The Crown is a very nice option. You have another cheap option I like, a CAMBO SC 4x5 , it is a trouble free piece of iron than have no real limits for bellows extension and it will would allow you to conveniently learn tilt/shift movements, but itr is less portable. For wet plate you will need a tripod anyway, so the Crown advantage for handheld shooting it won't be useful.

IMHO a CAMBO SC 4x5 or a Sinar Norma are ideal for learning LF, (and can also be ideal for advanced users).

jp
14-Oct-2017, 09:10
Very hard time finding one and there's no substitute for it since nothing else uses the Graphic View rail. Don't buy it.

Not anymore..

http://www.largeformatphotography.info/forum/showthread.php?141474-Graphic-View-missing-tripod-mount-A-very-simple-McGuyver-technique

williaty
14-Oct-2017, 10:18
Holy crap! SuperClamps really do fix everything!

Monza1966
14-Oct-2017, 10:38
An old metal or plastic studio camera is what i'd recommend for wetplate. It won't get hurt by the chemicals like the leather and wood of a press camera. But, Yes you can still use the crown for wetplates if you really wanted to.

the 4x5 TOYO or Cambo studio cameras are good, but any brand is fine. spend money on good glass.