PDA

View Full Version : Linhof Super Tech V infinity Stops 1 Or 2?

Tony Lakin
11-Oct-2017, 08:11
Hi
I am currently setting up my 5x4 ST V for scale focusing with my 90mm and 120mm super angulons so I can shoot straight out of the bag when the light is changing rapidly, I have the appropriate distance scales installed but only have two infinity stops, one for each lens, there is zero play between the rail and the front standard of my ST V so it seems to work well, anyone else using just one infinity stop per lens?

Jac@stafford.net
11-Oct-2017, 08:44
Yes, one infinity stop per lens - for infinity focus, set-up.
Have you no rangefinder on the camera?

Super Technika == rangefinder.

Tony Lakin
11-Oct-2017, 08:57
Yes, one infinity stop per lens - for infinity focus, set-up.
Have you no rangefinder on the camera?

Super Technika == rangefinder.

Hi
Yes, but I don't have any cams, I find that I can estimate distance pretty well and using my 90mm and 120mm Super Angulons at f11 or 16 on 400 asa film for landscapes my guestimates are near enough, any doubt and I use my Leitz rangefinder.

David A. Goldfarb
11-Oct-2017, 12:23
Linhof service sets them up with two per lens at infinity, though I doubt you would see much of a difference in most situations using one as long as the front standard isn't loose. Maybe shooting at maximum aperture with a wide lens it could be an issue. Spares can be found easily enough on the used market, and they're not so costly.

Jim Andrada
11-Oct-2017, 12:24
If it were me, think I'd set the stops to hyperfocal distance as a starting point rather than infinity focus.

Jac@stafford.net
11-Oct-2017, 12:36
Yes, but I don't have any cams

Maybe we can revive the topic of making do with what's available used. Bob S might disapprove but given our
dire situation with cams, the ingenuity of our engineers here might help. I'm just lucky to have a complete matched set.

Engineers? Machinists? Any help for our camless friend?

Jim Andrada
11-Oct-2017, 13:40
I have none! But would be interested.

Tony Lakin
11-Oct-2017, 14:22
Maybe we can revive the topic of making do with what's available used. Bob S might disapprove but given our
dire situation with cams, the ingenuity of our engineers here might help. I'm just lucky to have a complete matched set.

Engineers? Machinists? Any help for our camless friend?

Thanks for the thought, I'm fairly sure that used non calibrated cams would be ok for wide angle lenses as the focusing scales I have work perfectly, only problem I have is cost, used cams on Ebay go for about $75 BIN from the USA with shipping to the UK usually in excess of $50, to rich for me on my pension so I'll stick with scale focusing.

Jszokoli
11-Oct-2017, 14:44
Yes, I do have a place for 'blank' cams. They need to be filed to work correctly. Thats not a easy job but not impossible.

see:
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=linhof+cams&type=

Joe

Jac@stafford.net
11-Oct-2017, 15:48
Yes, I do have a place for 'blank' cams. They need to be filed to work correctly. Thats not a easy job but not impossible.

see:
https://www.shapeways.com/search?q=linhof+cams&type=

Joe

I cannot see the details to know if they are compatible with a Super Technika V. The grooves in the mount are important.

Jim Andrada
11-Oct-2017, 20:53
I think Bob Watkins might still be grinding cams - not sure.

Jszokoli
12-Oct-2017, 06:30
If you reach out to the 'maker' of the part he should be able to confirm, but my understanding is that these are for the 'V', and Master.

Joe

Tony Lakin
15-Oct-2017, 00:52
Hi
I need a measurement for the linhof ST5 210mm lens focusing scale from the 5 feet mark to the infinity mark, can anyone help please.

Thanks
Tony