PDA

View Full Version : I only wish I had enough time........

xkaes
7-Oct-2017, 06:19
Maybe you do ----

https://www.economist.com/news/books-and-arts/21729732-german-artist-has-become-master-edited-and-reimagined-images-thomas-ruffs

His approaches and ideas can be applied to any format, and is another example of mixing completely different media in art.

mdarnton
7-Oct-2017, 08:11
Dunno-- I'd want to see what he does before I knew I wanted to do it. :-) For an article about visual arts, the article was pathetically lacking in showing what they were talking about. Pictures of pictures of pictures was apparently too redundant of a concept for them!

A google images search of his name shows mostly what look like bad school yearbook photos from the 1980s, which I already had my run of doing in the 1980s.

Here, try this: https://www.theguardian.com/artanddesign/2017/sep/26/thomas-ruff-photographs-whitechapel-retrospective-profile

More confirmation, as if that were needed, that the art world has finally run out of ideas. I am currently reading a book that is using as one of its major points that for a century or so the art world has been running on the fumes of the concept of novelty to the exclusion of all else; that criticism might apply here.

/grouchy-old-man

xkaes
7-Oct-2017, 09:19
For an article about visual arts, the article was pathetically lacking in showing what they were talking about. Pictures of pictures of pictures was apparently too redundant of a concept for them!In case you missed it, the article is from The Economist -- founded in 1837. Neither art nor photography is their forte, but they do their best to keep readers up-to-date on many issues -- other than the economy around the world. Are you aware of any photography magazines that try to keep us informed about the economic situation in Burkina Faso?

mdarnton
7-Oct-2017, 10:01
I can't, because apparently unlike The Economist, they try to stick to talking about things they have some expertise in. :-)

Richard Wasserman
7-Oct-2017, 10:14
Oscar Wilde said when bankers get together they talk about art, and when artists get together they talk about money...

xkaes
7-Oct-2017, 13:45
I can't, because apparently unlike The Economist, they try to stick to talking about things they have some expertise in. :-)

You can lead a horse to water...............