PDA

View Full Version : Lensboard adapters for ArcaSwiss

Josh Root
28-Sep-1999, 22:53
Does anyone have any feeling either way about lensboard adapters for ArcaSwiss-W isner/LinTec? S.K. Grimes will make one for $125 if you supply the lensboards. A nd the Arca one is about $250. Is there any reason not to use the (much) cheaper Wista lensboards if I use an adapter?

Thanks once again.

hadi alsegaf
28-Sep-1999, 23:14
I have an Arca-Swiss and use the A-S Technica adapter with Wista lenboards. I generally buy the lensboards new and like the way this combination works. I also have a Canham 8x10 and use a Toyo Technica adapter so lenses are interchangeable between both systems. I have found the Arca-Swiss adapter a little less finicky to mount lenses and think it's slightly better finished than the toyo. In other words, I like the A-S adapter very much and worth it to avoid hauling lenses around on the large, clunky, standard A-S lensboards.

Ben Diss
29-Sep-1999, 07:59
I have the Arca-Swiss and use the A-S adapter board. Either the one made by Steve or the A-S one is fine. I bought mine from Badger. Its worth the price.

Larry Huppert
29-Sep-1999, 10:07
I have the one made by Arca Swiss, and like it very much. I've never seen the one Steve Grimes makes, so can't comment on it. The one made by Arca Swiss has two features which are important:

(1) It maintains the intrinsic recess which standard Arca Swiss boards have. This makes using wide angle lenses *MUCH* easier because you will not need to use a Linhof recessed lens board. This feature alone is well worth the added cost vs another adapter which doesn't do this.

(2) The Arca Swiss adapter also keeps the optic centered on the camera when using the off-center drilled Linhof boards. This makes for more simplistic operation in that you won't have to add or subtract an offset via rise/fall to setup your camera in a neutral position.

I have all of my lenses mounted in the less expensive Wista lens boards. They work without any problems.