PDA

View Full Version : Minimum & maximum..

Shtativ
20-Jul-2005, 05:58
Hallo!

I choose to myself the unpretentious 4x5` camera. The camera will be used in heavy operational and temperature conditions. The object of shooting mainly a landscape and I`m decided to refuse motions of the back panel. But maximal reliability and quality is necessary. With type of the chamber still I`m was not defined, but I understand, that with cardan-camera it will be inconvenient. Most likely the chamber will be similar on Linhof Technika. From here an appeal to the help:) Help to choose very reliable chamber for field shootings. Necessarily iron. Range of used focal lengths 135-300 mm. The question of weight, the price and comfort of use has no value.

Yours faithfully,
-= Shtativ

Bill_1856
20-Jul-2005, 06:21
The Linhof Technika seems like a good choice.

Paul Droluk
20-Jul-2005, 06:56
My vote goes to Toyo. The 45A, 45AX or 45AII are superb all metal field 4x5's that are very well made and rugged.

Wilbur Wong
20-Jul-2005, 08:31
The Linhof Technika is very sturdy. I once watched a fellow photographer's Master Technika 2000 fall out of his pack from his car trunk (about 75 cm) and bounce across a paved parking lot stopping 2 meters away. It survived fine, other than losing the Linhof emblem. Fortunately the camera was closed, I am sure it could have been damaged if it was open, but these cameras are really built to last.

If your shortest lens is 135, any of the Technikas are good down to 90 mm. If you want to use a 75 mm or shorter, you need to look at the MT 2000.

I would suggest that Technika V and Master Technika are the more sought after models. The IV is frequently available, and I would personally avoid III's and earlier if the camera is to be used intensely unless costs is a very important issue.

Toyo, Wista and Horseman have also produced very rugged "technical" 4 x 5's as well and will probably serve your needs with enough movements.

CXC
20-Jul-2005, 09:57
Before ruling out rear movements, please be aware that when tilting to expand depth of focus, rear tilt is a great deal easier to perform than front tilt (IMHO). The distortion (avoided by front tilt, present for rear tilt) is unnoticeable when shooting landscapes, generally only a problem when there are vertical straight lines, such as for high-rise architecture.

The Technika is a wonderful camera if you can afford it.

Shtativ
20-Jul-2005, 23:26
Thanks for advice!
Most likely I shall choose Toyo because I am assured that the chamber is easier, the it is more reliable. Kalashnikov is very reliable because there there is nothing to break :)