PDA

View Full Version : Removing Smelly Odor from Trays

Daniel Morgan
19-Jul-2005, 12:14
Hello again all,

Recently my hypo-tray has taken on a very unpleasent smell... sort of like wet rotten eggs...

I am usually fairly good about cleaning out my trays, but managed to leave this one with some chemical in it for a much longer time than I should have and now, despite it being completely cleaned out it still gives off quite a nasty odor which can quickly fill up the little room I work in.

For the most part I enjoy the smell of photo chemicals, but this one is really starting to bother me.

Any suggestions on what to use to clean the tray out well and remove the odor?

Thanks.

Alec Jones
19-Jul-2005, 14:42
Kodak Hypo clearing agent might do it.

I'm still using a bottle of Edwal tray cleaner. Now, they call it something else, and say it is safe for septic tanks, so I don't know how good it is anymore. Porter's sells it.

Mike Gudzinowicz
19-Jul-2005, 15:04
Soak the entire tray (including the outside bottom) overnight in a houshold
bleach solution (approx 1 or 2 cups per gallon). Sulfur compounds and other
smellies should be oxidized by the treatment to relatively odorless compounds.
Wash the tray well after bleaching and after use.

Richard Ide
19-Jul-2005, 15:32
Hello Daniel

I have had similar problems in the past and used Kodak Fixer System cleaner. Cat.# 139 5110. I had roughness on the bottom of the tray caused by insoluble residue. This was the only product I found that worked, and very well. Hope this helps.

Richard

Daniel Morgan
19-Jul-2005, 15:48
Thanks to everyone for responding, I think I will try using the bleach solution first to avoid spending more money on misc. chemicals.

John Kasaian
19-Jul-2005, 16:01
Lysol toiilet bowl cleaner. No joke! This came recommended by several folks here on Tuan's site when I got a set of pretty yellow Kodak duraflex trays that came cemented together with some smelly crusty brown goop. When I asked my Bride where the toilet cleaner was she nearly fainted! ;-)
Cheers!

Matthew Cordery
19-Jul-2005, 17:14
Oxyclean?

Michael J. Kravit
19-Jul-2005, 19:16
Tried Oxyclean on my trays a few months ago.
Did not even make a dent in the dektol stains.

Diluted bleach overnight left my Cescolite trays sprakling white and smelling like a desert rose.

Now I bleach my trays once a month or so.

The best solution I have found in 30 years.

CP Goerz
20-Jul-2005, 19:35
I use Irish Spring..it works on me so why not the tray?! :-)

CP Goerz