PDA

View Full Version : still need brass insert with flange for tripod

Robert McClure
19-Jul-2005, 07:35
Hello again. I appreciate very much the responses to my recent question regarding a 3/8-16 brass insert (for 3/8 tripod screw receptacle - larger size). However, all the websites suggested seem to provide only brass threaded inserts WITHOUT a flange at the top meant to mount flush to the wood. The flange, around an inch in diameter and mounted flush to the wood, provides protection to the wood in cases where the initial thrust of the screw does not find the hole. (!?)

I had emailed Allan Brubaker. He told me that yes, that was what he used (with a flange). Further, he puts three long screws through the flange which in turn sink deeply/securely into the wood. This gives added insurance/safety for heavy cameras. AB said he got them through Ace Hardware. I checked the main web site for Ace and no luck.

Question: any ideas where might I locate this as a stock item short of an expensive trip to a machine shop?

Many, many thanks to all!

wfwhitaker
19-Jul-2005, 07:46
Perhaps you're referring to a "T-nut", stocked in several sizes by many hardware stores. While it can be installed with the flange portion at the bottom to protect the adjacent wood, they're really designed to be mounted the other way around, i.e., with the flange at the top so that tightening it holds the flange against the wood under compression. T-nuts are usually found in the aisle which has other fasteners, screws and nuts, etc.

matthew blais
19-Jul-2005, 08:33
I had a problem with my Korona's brass insert "unraveling"...twice. It sucked as there was no way to mount the camera. I have since put a steel insert with about a 1 1/4 " flange on the bottom. The threaded shaft part was long enough to screw a short bolt from the opposite side of the wood base to give clamping pressure as well. It was a part for commercial air conditioners my neighbor just happened to have.

Anyway, I suggest getting a hardened 3/8 nut, a square metal steel plate. Have the nut welded to the plate then chisel out carefully the base area and insert this to sit flush. Then drill corner holes on the square part to countersink screws to hold the plate and shaft to the base. Better yet to have two nuts welded to give more depth then add the bolt or machine screw from the opposite side of base to secure.

It's cheap, strong and common parts from hardware. You just need a weld job.
My other option was to have a machine shop cut an aluminum plate the size of the base and mount this with countersunk screws, drill a hole or two in the middle then tap for threads. But that would have added a quarter inch thickness to base although not much weight or problem.
My 2 cents...

Michael Jones
19-Jul-2005, 08:42
If you find such a critter, please post some specifics. I finally had had Steve Grimes make a couple for me. The only downside: $65 each. But they are stunning...

mike

John Cook
19-Jul-2005, 08:56
Brass and aluminum threads are soft, wear out and flanges must be replaced from time to time. Therefore, camera repair facilities for wooden field cameras with these flanges must stock replacements in their parts department.

Calumet has the Zone VI camera and an excellent repair department. They have been very helpful to me in the past. Why not see if they will sell you a threaded flange from one of their cameras?

Here is the web address and telephone number. A Hispanic gentleman whose name I can never remember is in charge.

http://www.calumetphoto.com/ctl?PAGE=Controller&ac.ui.pn=cat.CatTree&ac.cat.CatTree.prodIndex.param=01;Film+Cameras+%26+Lenses;001;Large+Format;010;Field+View+Cameras;533;Zone+VI+Studios

Robert McClure
19-Jul-2005, 09:27
Thanks guys! I have located a machinest who says he will make me the part very reasonably. The specific part I had asked for is not a stock item through anyone, apparently.

Thanks again for great help and support!

Terence McDonagh
19-Jul-2005, 11:02
Somehting like these?
http://www.leevalley.com/hardware/page.aspx?c=2&cat=3,43715&p=43727

They have a few other ones as well.

Robert McClure
19-Jul-2005, 12:01
My God!! I thought I was the only photographer who sat at his computer obsessing about things which, in the long run, probably don't matter more than a hill of beans! Maybe we could all meet for group work. You know, "Well, my first experience of realizing that I was an introverted ... my mother punished me for not wanting to just play outside like normal kids ..." Ha, ha!

Seriously though, thanks guys. But I have discovered that to match the part out of my 1920 Folmer Schwing I'm going to have to have it made. Anyone else out there need one, too? We can make a few of them and maybe reduce cost.

BTW, a variety of inserts can be found at mcmaster-carr. Specifically look at page 3010 and pages 3065-3068 of their on-line catalogue.

Pax Vobiscum

Robert McClure
20-Jul-2005, 07:17
After thinking better of my above remarks I wanted to say I didn't mean to be offensive to anyone. Especially to folks kind enough to help me solve my problem. Again, I truly appreciate the wonderful help and great ideas.

Kindest Regards,

mark anderson
20-Jul-2005, 07:23
that's ok my mom did that to me all the time

David A. Goldfarb
20-Jul-2005, 08:38
That McMaster site is dangerous.

I went over there looking to replace two metric sized knobs with threaded studs (one from a tripod head and one from my studio stand), and as long as I was making an order and paying shipping, I thought I'd replace the knobs that I've never really liked on my 8x10" Gowland, and since there's a 10% discount if you buy 10 or more, and what the heck I can use knobs with 1/4"-20 studs for all kinds of things, and by the time I was done, I had placed an order for 22 knobs.

If they sell mountable spirit levels, I don't want to know.

Robert McClure
21-Jul-2005, 10:14
Mark Anderson,
Looks like many of we (LF) photographic folk may come from dysfunctional families-of-origin. Welcome aboard!

David Goldfarb,
You may suffer from the (not commonly known) symptoms of IPR (Increased Purchase Rationalization Syndrome). The essential features of the disorder are that the patient (purchaser)
begins a roller-coaster emotional experience that begins with the rational thinking of, "I only need what I first thought I needed." This thinking quickly deteriorates to the insidious "might as well," or "as long as I'm at it," or your own "what the heck?" rationalizations. In my own case, as the "purging" subtype, I would become nauseated when my credit card statement arrived in the mail.