PDA

View Full Version : This is the neatest IKEA gadget. (chem mixing)

ericantonio
24-Sep-2017, 08:40
I remember one time, maybe in the beginning days of apug or maybe here, long time ago, someone mentioned not to use one of those industrial mixers for mixing chemistry. Something about oxidation (adding too much o2 into the mixing). Who knows, I'm not a chemist. I did used to mix the big old 5 gal containers of chemicals one time at a lab and I remember using an immersion blender.

Here's a tiny one I got from Ikea. Costs me like $1.99. I use it for my MCT oil in coffee. Now I need to get a few more for chemistry.

http://www.ihave3thumbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/DSC0013-e1506267437979.jpg

John Kasaian
24-Sep-2017, 08:52
I remember one time, maybe in the beginning days of apug or maybe here, long time ago, someone mentioned not to use one of those industrial mixers for mixing chemistry. Something about oxidation (adding too much o2 into the mixing). Who knows, I'm not a chemist. I did used to mix the big old 5 gal containers of chemicals one time at a lab and I remember using an immersion blender.

Here's a tiny one I got from Ikea. Costs me like $1.99. I use it for my MCT oil in coffee. Now I need to get a few more for chemistry.

http://www.ihave3thumbs.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/DSC0013-e1506267437979.jpg
I work the snack bar at our local High School pool deck during H2O polo and swim meets. We've got one of these for stirring hot instant cocoa. Works good!

xkaes
24-Sep-2017, 09:39
Good idea. I've seen many similar "egg beater" thingies at thrift stores for even less.

Years ago, I found a Corning Stirrer PC-353 at the "junk room" at the University I worked at. It was FREE (as was everything) to faculty and staff -- left-overs from completed projects and programs. It is a 5x5x5" ceramic-topped "box" that has an adjustable, rotaing magnet inside using 110AC. You place any vial on top, with your liquid and solid, and drop in a glass-encased magnet into the vial. Turn on the Stirrer to the speed you want, and it does all the work for you -- creating a mini-tornado. You can attend to other issues, such as loading the film into a tank, etc. I lacked the glass-encased magnet, but I found one for a couple of bucks from Edmund Scientific. They come in different sizes, etc.

I can't tell you how much easier this makes my darkroom experience. You can buy them (or similar models) new, of course, but I suspect you can find them for next to nothing on EBAY -- NOT just in the photography section, but the LAB INDUSTRIAL CHEMICAL section. If you use a lot of dry chemicals, you will thank yourself.

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?ul_noapp=true&_nkw=corning+stirrer+pc-353&_sop=15

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
24-Sep-2017, 10:15
The purpose of the Ikea gadget is to froth milk, which means mixing air with liquids. This increases the likelihood of oxidation, and is not what you want for chemical mixing. The stirrers like Xkaes mentions are far better for this purpose.

Willie
24-Sep-2017, 10:31
Costs me like $1.99.

What is "like" $1,99? More, or less?

ericantonio
24-Sep-2017, 10:38
The purpose of the Ikea gadget is to froth milk, which means mixing air with liquids. This increases the likelihood of oxidation, and is not what you want for chemical mixing. The stirrers like Xkaes mentions are far better for this purpose.

Just made and used 1L of d76h. I don't see a difference.

xkaes
24-Sep-2017, 10:39
Costs me like $1.99.

I guess ND has a shortage of thrift stores. All around Denver, thrift stores sell USED household gadgets like these for 0.25 or .49 cents each. Sure they are used, but most are in perfect condition. That's where most of my ladles, spatulas, scrapers, etc. come from -- no, I do not use them in my darkroom. Bread and cake pans go for about $1 if they are in great shape. Pots and pans $2.

Jus' sayin'.

Last week I got a Minolta Dimage A2 -- list price five years ago? Over $1,000. This one was in MINT condition -- with TWO battery packs, battery charger, computer cables, TWO owners manual, TWO software CD's, lens hood, LowePro camera case and more. $10. I'm keeping it. Everything works perfectly.

I also picked up a Sinar Six Gossen focal plane 4x5 meter for $5. Works perfectly. Sold it on EBAY for $255. No joke, you can check it out yourself.

A fool and his money.....

Willie
24-Sep-2017, 10:43
North Dakota has some thrift stores and even pawn shops. Rummage sales are the big thing tho. You have never seen so many kids clothes for sale as at them.

Was just questioning "like" in the price. It is $1.99, or it isn't.

xkaes
24-Sep-2017, 11:05
Willie,

Many countries and transplants use ",", where most of us use a ".". Phone numbers, and such, get pretty "weird", as well. Imperial vs metric, etc.

But egg/coffee/etc. "frothers" and such are designed to froth things -- not a good idea with photo chemicals. But they can be used without frothing. They only create frothing IF the implement rises above the water line. Keep it at the bottom and there is no problem. That's what Julia Child told me, at least! Plus it's not a big deal if you use the chemicals immediately. If you store the chemicals for later re-use, then you might have a problem.

P.S. Photo chemicals CAN cause corrosion, so whatever you use, make sure to clean it after use -- you probably don't want Amidol in your omelette. Not only will your fingernails turn black, your tongue will too! On the other hand, Halloween is just around the corner.

ericantonio
24-Sep-2017, 11:47
But egg/coffee/etc. "frothers" and such are designed to froth things -- not a good idea with photo chemicals. But they can be used without frothing. They only create frothing IF the implement rises above the water line. Keep it at the bottom and there is no problem. .

This is what I did. SOURCE: I have a culinary degree. :)
Frothing doesn't occur what xkaes said. Also, frothing won't occur if you use non-fat milk.
That's why a balloon whisk is shaped like it is, creates a lot of air.

xkaes
24-Sep-2017, 12:41
. Also, frothing won't occur if you use non-fat milk.

So THAT'S the reason I haven't added it to my developers! I was always wondering. Yet, I've heard it creates a very smooth, milky tonality.

j.e.simmons
24-Sep-2017, 15:17
Costs me like $1.99.

It’s all like basically literally and stuff.

ericantonio
24-Sep-2017, 18:17
So THAT'S the reason I haven't added it to my developers! I was always wondering. Yet, I've heard it creates a very smooth, milky tonality.

And it will rise good in the film dryer!

LabRat
24-Sep-2017, 18:48
But it is nice to use a magnetic stirrer while mixing because it frees up your two hands and allows you to multitask while your solution stirs away... If you mix from scratch while using a scale, you can be weighing away while mixing pixies into your solution... ;-)

Some hard to mix agents like phenidone seem to mix in well using my stirrer, and chunky stuff (I got lazy about breaking up beforehand) will usually dissolve in (unless it is hard as rocks), and seldom have to raise the temp to aid it... (Only with some very old, chunky raw chems...)

Most mixers and stirring will introduce oxygen into the solution, but you can avoid most oxidation in solutions by adding a pinch of sodium sulfite or boiling off the oxygen before mixing developers... Packaged or pre-mixed stock developers will usually mix clearer (and I assume last longer) if you do this... But try not to use the higher speeds where it creates a vortex "tornado" to the bottom of the mixing vessel...

A good tip while hand mixing is in the northern hemisphere to mix the solution clockwise, where there is a less than natural flow, but "pushes" the dry ingredents against the flow where they can more readily dissolve, but to our friends "down under", mix counter-clockwise... This also tends to whip less air into the solution..

Steve K

xkaes
24-Sep-2017, 18:58
It's best to keep the vortex/tornado small so as not to suck in too much air.

LabRat
24-Sep-2017, 19:18
Also, it is best to place the magnetic stirrer bar/mixing vessel off center, near the wall of the mixing vessel, and it tends to suck less air in, and you can use slightly higher speeds...

Steve K

Doremus Scudder
25-Sep-2017, 01:33
Costs me like $1.99.

Just replace "like" with "about" (its accepted and common meaning in this context) and you'll have your answer.

Keep cool,

Doremus

John Kasaian
25-Sep-2017, 06:35
What did Ansel Adams use?

seezee
25-Sep-2017, 10:30
A good tip while hand mixing is in the northern hemisphere to mix the solution clockwise, where there is a less than natural flow, but "pushes" the dry ingredents against the flow where they can more readily dissolve, but to our friends "down under", mix counter-clockwise... This also tends to whip less air into the solution..
Just in case you aren't joking (http://science.howstuffworks.com/science-vs-myth/everyday-myths/rotation-earth-toilet-baseball2.htm).

drew.saunders
25-Sep-2017, 11:35
Somebody had to look the thing up in the current catalog:
PRODUKT
Milk-frother, black
$2.79
Article Number: 303.011.67
For US customers: http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/30301167/
Everyone else gets to search by the article number.

xkaes
25-Sep-2017, 12:18
Ahhh, the Delux model at twice the price -- batteries NOT included.

Bob Salomon
25-Sep-2017, 12:31

William Sonoma sells the super deluxe, steel finished version for $19.95, with the batteries.

Bob Salomon
25-Sep-2017, 12:32

Williams Sonoma sells the super deluxe, steel finished version for $19.95, with the batteries.

Peter De Smidt
25-Sep-2017, 14:58
Used lab magnetic stirrers are cheap... Buy a new teflon stirring rod, and you're good to go.