PDA

View Full Version : New Hampshire

djdister
20-Sep-2017, 07:15
I'm going to be relocating to New Hampshire (Concord/Manchester) for a new job soon - any suggestions regarding LF "must-shoot" locations, local LF groups or resources?

Thanks!

Nodda Duma
20-Sep-2017, 07:22
Welcome to New Hampshire! Not sure where you're moving from, but the state is very scenic. Everywhere you turn there will be something to photograph.

You are relocating at just the right time, with fall coming. Hit the Kankamagus Highway to view the fall colors in about two weeks. Also -- for starters -- look up covered bridges and use that as a guide to explore the state. Wear hunter orange this time of year if you go out in the woods.

Look up the Photographic Historical Society of New England.

-Jason

Steve Goldstein
20-Sep-2017, 08:12
As Jason said, there's lots of scenery in NH - the White Mountain National Forest, with many ponds and some decent waterfalls, as well as a bit of seacoast, and a good number of state parks. Some of the small towns are picturesque if that's more your thing.

As far as groups, Jason already mentioned PHSNE, which is based in the Boston area but has members all over the world. In NH there's Camera Commons in Dover (I need to check them out some time) and the New Hampshire Society of Photographic Artists. They all have websites.

djdister
20-Sep-2017, 08:20
Thanks for the tips. The PHSNE sounds great because I am also a collector (who isn't?). I'll also pay a visit to Camera Commons - looks like they have a variety of opportunities worth looking into. Looking forward to some great road trips that aren't really long distance...

John Layton
20-Sep-2017, 08:39
About an hour's drive north on Rt. 93 from the Manchester/Concord area will bring you into Franconia Notch, featuring some great scenery, trails, waterfalls, etc. Heading further north through the notch, take the Twin Mountain exit and head up to Rt. 302...take a right on this and you'll soon be heading past the Presidential Range and into Crawford Notch...with more great trails, waterfalls, etc. ...And don't forget that you can head east for the coast! Good luck...and I'd welcome you to contact me (click website link) for further suggestions.

I'll also second the above suggestion to check out Camera Commons...and, despite my address in Vermont, I'm a member of the NH Society of Photographic Artists (NHSPA), a wonderful group of kindred spirits!

Old_Dick
20-Sep-2017, 08:49
Welcome to NH.

Like Jason mentioned, not knowing where you are coming from, but we have 4 seasons. So the same shot can be very different from one season to the next. There is the coast, with Maine and Mass close by. Foliage is starting up right now and so are the crowds:). Great hiking if that is your thing. The Monadnock region is another area.

xkaes
20-Sep-2017, 09:19
The Monadnock region is another area.

This area, as well as the White Mts. are beautiful. But timing is everything. The last time I tried to get to the Monadnock area -- a couple of years ago during foliage season -- all the roads were parking lots. After a couple of hours trying to drive only 40 miles, we gave up. Same with the White Mts. Just one of the reasons I live in Colorado.

EdSawyer
20-Sep-2017, 12:41
Welcome to NH. As mentioned, lots of good things to see and shoot. I am near Camera Commons, have been there several times (probably will join soon, mostly to get access to the scanners and printers). Great bunch of folks.

Manchester is probably my least-favorite part of NH, Concord is nice enough, but the mountains and the seacoast are the most interesting areas I think.

I don't know of any LF-specific groups though there are some analog photo meetups and things of that nature. Lots of interesting things to shoot though, esp. if you are open to new experiences.

-Ed

xkaes
20-Sep-2017, 12:52
And don't neglect Vermont. It's not too far away, fewer touristas, same terrain, even more maple trees, lots of old church steeples, wooden bridges, creeks, and town greens -- if you are into that stuff.

c.d.ewen
20-Sep-2017, 12:55
but we have 4 seasons

Summer, Winter, Mud, and.......what's that one between Mother's Day and Father's Day called?

Charley,

who's just a Summer NH resident, and getting ready to return to NY.
Gotta peal off the Sox decals and put on the Yankees ones and practice saying Na Yawk instead of Nu Yahk.

Old_Dick
20-Sep-2017, 13:30
Out here in the woods, we have black fly and mosquitoes season. There is weekend tourist season also:)

jp
20-Sep-2017, 14:27
I'd suggest heading toward the White mountains too. There's some nice rural areas to explore along the ME/NH border inland. Looks like you'll have lots of little town/state forest areas to explore nearby.

Maybe I'm spoiled (most likely), but the coast of NH is crowded dirty sprawl that doesn't come close to Maine's beaches. The marshes between the beach and the solid land seem much more interesting to me.

William Whitaker
20-Sep-2017, 14:32
You are relocating at just the right time, with fall coming. Hit the Kankamagus Highway to view the fall colors in about two weeks. Also -- for starters -- look up covered bridges and use that as a guide to explore the state. Wear hunter orange this time of year if you go out in the woods.
-Jason

And don't put antlers on your view camera. Just sayin'....
Read a comment once when in a new location to look at available post cards for the area for ideas of locations/subjects. (Not composition!)
You simply cannot go wrong. It was when I lived in NH that I found great fascination and a decent composition with the trash cans behind my apartment. Anything can look good in New Hampshire...

There is a time in the fall when the change toward winter is very pronounced. The light changes; the sky changes. You will know it because you can feel it within you. If you can use that mood swing as a springboard, I think you will do well. Even if you don't get great images right away, observe. Watch the light, the weather, the trees. What you learn now will guide you in the future.

Jac@stafford.net
20-Sep-2017, 14:35
I'm going to be relocating to New Hampshire (Concord/Manchester) for a new job soon - any suggestions regarding LF "must-shoot" locations, local LF groups or resources?

You lucky person! It would take a lifetime to see all the great scenes in NH. It is not only lovely, but relaxed with great people. I spent years in my youth hiking NH, and some memorable business trips later. And you are by the ocean, and wonderful neighboring states with a lot to offer. Very best to you and yours.

Would mind sharing with us where you are moving from?

Jac

Mark Sampson
20-Sep-2017, 15:19
A good friend of mine who lives in the Concord area has spent much time photographing those white churches with his 8x10 camera... we have wandered the southern part of the state a bit. As he says, "it's a target-rich environment".

djdister
20-Sep-2017, 16:04
You lucky person! It would take a lifetime to see all the great scenes in NH. It is not only lovely, but relaxed with great people. I spent years in my youth hiking NH, and some memorable business trips later. And you are by the ocean, and wonderful neighboring states with a lot to offer. Very best to you and yours.

Would mind sharing with us where you are moving from?

Jac

Oh, sorry for leaving that bit out. I've been in Maryland for 27 years, so I'm used to the change of seasons. A longer Winter will be an adjustment, although in my past I have lived in Rochester, NY, Denver, CO and Manhattan, KS, so I'm no stranger to some weather...

From the NH State Parks website, I've seen a lot of promising landscape locations to visit, although I am also interested in classic New England structures too.

Thanks...

William Whitaker
20-Sep-2017, 16:07
[QUOTE=djdister;1408322]Oh, sorry for leaving that bit out. I've been in Maryland for 27 years, so I'm used to the change of seasons. A longer Winter will be an adjustment, although in my past I have lived in Rochester, NY, Denver, CO and Manhattan, KS, so I'm no stranger to some weather... /QUOTE]

Even as a southern lad, I was able to adjust to the NH winter without too much difficulty. But it was the two weeks of summer that threw me off!

Old_Dick
20-Sep-2017, 16:27
JP is right on about the coast of Maine, all 3440 miles of of it. He lives in a beautiful location, just look at his work.

djdister
20-Sep-2017, 17:20
JP is right on about the coast of Maine, all 3440 miles of of it. He lives in a beautiful location, just look at his work.

Agreed about the Maine coastal areas - and there's just so much of it! I'll put it on my photo trip itinerary.

jnantz
20-Sep-2017, 17:47
hey djdister

if you are into classic new england mills and industry-stuff ... there are lots in new hampshire,
not just in man-chacha (manchvegas), concord, nashua &c
but all over the place. if you go to the society of industrial archaeology website
they have some information not just on new hampshire sites but stuff throughout
the region ( mass, vt and ri too ) new england is pretty compact and ez to do a day trip to visit stuff ...

djdister
20-Sep-2017, 18:12
hey djdister

if you are into classic new england mills and industry-stuff ... there are lots in new hampshire,
not just in man-chacha (manchvegas), concord, nashua &c
but all over the place. if you go to the society of industrial archaeology website
they have some information not just on new hampshire sites but stuff throughout
the region ( mass, vt and ri too ) new england is pretty compact and ez to do a day trip to visit stuff ...

That sounds really interesting, I'll check it out, thanks!

Nodda Duma
21-Sep-2017, 05:00
Winters will be colder and snowier than Maryland, but you will be amazed at how efficiently the roads are cleared after a snowstorm.

djdister
21-Sep-2017, 05:54
Winters will be colder and snowier than Maryland, but you will be amazed at how efficiently the roads are cleared after a snowstorm.

Good to hear. I've got an all wheel drive car, and I've driven on snow before (NY, CO, KS)...

xkaes
21-Sep-2017, 06:52
Good to hear. I've got an all wheel drive car, and I've driven on snow before (NY, CO, KS)...

You've got plenty to learn -- I bet you've never heard of "frost heaves". Just ask an old-time Down Easterner, and watch out for "Frost Heaves" signs. But they do have a positive side. When you run into one -- because the plows can't plow the snow off of them -- you can set up your camera gear and take pictures of the tow truck crew!

David Schaller
21-Sep-2017, 07:19

Growing up in NH, I'm appalled by the road plowing in Vermont. Avoid Vermont after a storm!

EdSawyer
21-Sep-2017, 08:24
Maine has better beaches in many cases, yes. Hampton is really the only scourge of a beach town in NH though. The others in NH are nice, just Maine has more coastline in general.

re: Snow - even with AWD, your best bet is get a dedicated set of snow tires and wheels. It makes a huge difference over all-season tires.

I'd suggest heading toward the White mountains too. There's some nice rural areas to explore along the ME/NH border inland. Looks like you'll have lots of little town/state forest areas to explore nearby.

Maybe I'm spoiled (most likely), but the coast of NH is crowded dirty sprawl that doesn't come close to Maine's beaches. The marshes between the beach and the solid land seem much more interesting to me.

xkaes
21-Sep-2017, 08:30
Avoid Vermont after a storm!

I agree. Let some other guy get the shot.

Greg
21-Sep-2017, 16:37
Brother and his wife live in upper NH... the town of Hebron. Population just short of 500. When up there visiting them, I take many photographic excursions. Destinations usually streams and waterfalls based on studying USGS topographic maps of the region. Major waterfalls have been photographer thousands of times over the years... am looking for more intimate waterfall locations. On my mini SUV have mounted a small platform on top of the roof racks. Allows me to get more overhead shots of side of the road scenes. Shooting with an 11x14' view camera on a tripod on a platform on top of my SUV sounds a bit scary, but is a very stable operation in.... For long hikes, just take the Nikon D4 with a couple of lenses and make enlarged digital negatives to print Platinum/Palladium. Once hiked in on a class 5.1 trail/climb with my 8x10 in a backpack, and swore many times then never to attempt that again.

xkaes
21-Sep-2017, 17:38
Once hiked in on a class 5.1 trail/climb with my 8x10 in a backpack, and swore many times then never to attempt that again.

You GO, guy!

I've been up the Adam's Slide Trail in the Presidential Range in NH -- I don't think they show it on the maps nowadays. Now THAT was tough -- and I was NOT carrying a LF camera. But I did go down the North Bass Trail on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon with a 4X5. That was even tougher. OK, going DOWN was easy, getting back up was Hell -- and I had to carry all my water. I'll never do it again, but I'm glad I did.

Keep Truckin'

Bruce Barlow
22-Sep-2017, 03:45
I enjoy getting a New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer, and trying to find the good streams for photography from the maps. Now I do it with my Maine one, but our streams are not as pretty as many I have found in NH. It's like a treasure hunt - not always successful, but I have a good time anyway.

jp
22-Sep-2017, 06:15
I enjoy getting a New Hampshire Atlas and Gazetteer

Try mapper.acme.com
click on "topo" and zoom in where you want. Nice printed-style topo maps.

EdSawyer
22-Sep-2017, 06:18
Hebron is a nice little town, esp. in the summer. I grew up in the next town over or so, and still visit the newfound lake area regularly. One cool spot near there is Sculptured Rocks. I have meant to do a LF shoot in there but it's too busy most of the time in the summer. Plus the light in there is weird, mostly only comes straight down, so requires some time to study for the best times of day. And the best shots will have you in waist-deep water probably. I have shot it that way before, but with 35mm, not LF.

The Cockermouth River in Groton/Hebron area has some nice intimate falls that are worth shooting too.

-Ed

djdister
22-Sep-2017, 09:46
There have been lots of good tips for landscape shots - what about historic churches, courthouses and the like?

Bruce Barlow
22-Sep-2017, 13:03
There have been lots of good tips for landscape shots - what about historic churches, courthouses and the like?

Walpole, where Ken Burns has his operation. A really pretty New England town.

Lots of old mill towns with wonderful red brick mill buildings - all over the state.

Many of the old, small towns won't be as picturesque (meaning upscale) as Walpole, but still interesting to photograph.

EdSawyer
23-Sep-2017, 05:26
Consider the two shaker villages, in enfield and canterbury, for classic architecture. Also, strawberry banke in portsmouth nh. There is a book out there too, of new hampshire churches and meetinghouses, it's shot in b&w LF, I have a copy, will look up the details. Could be a good reference for ideas.

djdister
23-Sep-2017, 06:14
Consider the two shaker villages, in enfield and canterbury, for classic architecture. Also, strawberry banke in portsmouth nh. There is a book out there too, of new hampshire churches and meetinghouses, it's shot in b&w LF, I have a copy, will look up the details. Could be a good reference for ideas.

That would be a great reference, thanks!