PDA

View Full Version : Honeymoon - Leaning Toward Argentina or NZ (Early February)

appletree
8-Sep-2017, 15:43
Hi all,

Received LOTS of great advice on where to go in CO for popping the big question. Well, it happened at the end of July, and she said yes, so here we are. :)
Any travelers out there have some advice on helping us boil down a location?

We do love the outdoors and exploring, I love my photography, obviously...but want to make sure to enjoy the honeymoon and time together. Not shooting the entire time. Alas, this is a honeymoon, and since we won't live together until after the wedding we plan to relax and not be too fast paced/traveling non-stop during our trip.

Things To Note:

Probably 14-17 days total for the trip.
Wedding is Jan 28th, a Sunday. So we would leave the 29th or 30th.
I am not a fan of the beach much, but the lady is. She loves the mountains too. Both of us love Yosemite. Ahh...could live there.
We do want a nice mix of exploring and relaxing.
Not on an insane budget, but do want to do our best at being mindful of that.
Would prefer not to go full out camping/backpacking (think more day hikes)...that way it limits us traveling with stoves/tents/etc.
We enjoy wine and beer and stuff like that. Not much for bars/clubs/dancing/nightlife. We would rather grab a bite and go sit in the park to eat just talking. Or walk around town.
NZ is very appealing and beautiful, but would consume lots of travel time.
We assume Argentina is gonna be cheaper, overall.
If Argentina, we would love to see Torres del Paine and Patagonia
NZ does seem to have such a wide variety of things to see. While Patagonia is HUGE.

Wherever we go, I figure it would be nice to fly in to somewhere and stay 3-4 days in a place, relaxing, drinking wine, etc. Then move locations, perhaps a home base for the next week or so, and go exploring and stuff from there.
Or drive/fly to one or two spots. For the most part try not to travel every other day, but, get a decent mix of seeing various sights, yet not feeling like we are traveling non-stop. Neither of us really want to be in the same spot for 14 straight days either though.

Any advice at all is appreciated!!! Thanks so much for all the good advice in the past. I think once we can sort a place out (been tracking flights for a few weeks now), it will help planning the itinerary and booking places to stay/etc.

Bob Salomon
8-Sep-2017, 17:46
Peru.

appletree
8-Sep-2017, 18:38
I've been to Peru!!!
And it is pretty spectacular.

Vaughn
8-Sep-2017, 23:09
My experience has been in NZ. And it is quite out-of-date (30 years?!)

But almost too far to go for such a short time (my three trips to NZ have been 1-year, 3-months, and 6-months). Doable -- rent a campervan and spend a week on both Islands. My sister and Brother-in-law had a great time (but had more time) doing that.

My son spent a year in Bolivia -- but that is more like adventure traveling...not relaxing honeymoon traveling!

Toyo
9-Sep-2017, 00:34
Argentina - full of the world's most beautiful women.
New Zealand - full of the world's most beautiful scenery.
Where to go for a honeymoon?
........ Hmmmmmmmmmm
:)
T

appletree
9-Sep-2017, 08:42
Hahahaha. Well, in that case...

I know this is a long shot...and not a lot of people have been to either or both. But, you never know, and perhaps some that have traveled around them have input to consider.
Thanks again for the advice thus far!!

Steven Tribe
9-Sep-2017, 10:40
NZ does have a very impressive and varied nature.

But it also suffers from some of the most "uncool" housing/town development I have ever seen. Away from the vistas, everything man-made is somehow without any sort of continuity of design or sense of good architecture. I am talking about things like petrol stations, housing and such like!

We were quite a long way into planning a few weeks vacation and viewed a ten minute video from the Camper hire firm. This showed endless rows of bungalows and painfully ugly developments near roads. Then I remembered, what the nzers I knew in London in the 60's, who had fled the country, said about the place!

But, of course, many can accept the contrast between the exquisite nature and the rather mundane man-made structures.

John Kasaian
9-Sep-2017, 11:57
Spain has photo ops, mountains, beaches, and wine...just sayin'
Then again, just the safety briefing on Air New Zealand flights looks pretty cool

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOw44VFNk8Y

Vaughn
9-Sep-2017, 12:51
Beware of NZ
Sand flies.
And Killer Sheep.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PkMPAlMFo

jp
9-Sep-2017, 13:48
You might consider the Azores. It's relatively inexpensive and easy to get to. A mix of mountains and sea.

Bob Salomon
9-Sep-2017, 13:56
Iceland has some spectacular scenery. But food is expensive.

appletree
9-Sep-2017, 14:39
We would absolutely love Iceland. But, gonna assume end of Jan/early Feb is pretty winter-like.

Steven Tribe
9-Sep-2017, 14:42
Iceland has some spectacular scenery. But food is expensive.

Almost everything is expensive. Iceland in February is a big risk. You might be snowed in at the hotel or airport.

Denny
9-Sep-2017, 14:56
I would caution that unless your wife is a photographer, trying to mix a large format photo trip with a honeymoon may be a recipe for disaster. I know that for me, if the camera is available, I can easily lose track of who I'm with and what they're doing. Hopefully you'll have one honeymoon and many photo trips...

Just my $.02.

Denny

appletree
9-Sep-2017, 15:07
I would caution that unless your wife is a photographer, trying to mix a large format photo trip with a honeymoon may be a recipe for disaster. I know that for me, if the camera is available, I can easily lose track of who I'm with and what they're doing. Hopefully you'll have one honeymoon and many photo trips...

Just my $.02.

Denny

Agreed, 100%. I am fairly confident that I won't bring the 4x5. Probably just the Leica.
She is so kind and patient. And knows I have her in mind, before the photography.

Doesn't mean I cannot get carried away. Once on our engagement trip I spent a little too much time at Dream Lake, and she was getting tore up by mosquitoes. She was a little ticked and quiet for 30 mins. I apologized and scaled it back a bit.
Then that night she drove me around in the rental for 2 hours while I ran all over with the 4x5 for the first time during the trip. Later she said how neat it was that I have such a passion for it, and it was a joy to watch how excited I got at various shots, explaining things to her, etc. She is a unique gem and spent time reading off and on, while I jumped in and out of the car.

That said, I know I can get caught up in it. But even I don't have much of a desire to on our honeymoon. Best to enjoy this trip. We plan to travel (when we can) for the next few years before having kids anyway.

Sal Santamaura
9-Sep-2017, 15:08
...the safety briefing on Air New Zealand flights looks pretty cool...A couple of years ago we went to Oz/NZ via (mostly) Air New Zealand. The two 777 segments between LAX and Auckland used that video. They were quite tolerable, something you don't often hear from this retired Boeing engineer. Domestically, I won't take any commercial flights, preferring to drive instead, no matter how far the destination. It's not worth the dehumanizing experience. Air New Zealand's other segments weren't bad either. I rather enjoyed the approach to Queenstown, although my wife was terrified by it. :) As for the one segment we were forced to complete on Virgin Australia, I was terrified by the slapdash nature of that crew's performance.

...Iceland in February is a big risk. You might be snowed in at the hotel or airport.A honeymoon snowed in at a hotel. What a catastrophe! :D

Vaughn
9-Sep-2017, 15:38
If you are not taking 4x5, then 14 to 17 days in NZ does not seem as short. Abel Tasman National Park -- take a day hike along the Abel Tasman Track for a swim. Drive over Authurs Pass -- some stiff hikes up from the town, but worth it. Pancake Rocks on the west coast of the South Island...and there was a nice cafe there...and take the short hike to Trumans Cove. Lake Waikaremoana in the middle of nowhere somewhere on the North Island. Mt Doom, of course -- but probably too many tourists climbing all over it!

In NZ (16x20 prints from 4x5)...

Mark Darragh
12-Sep-2017, 03:55
I've been fortunate to travel extensively in both Patagonia and New Zealand. If you can stand the long flight from the US, I would suggest NZ. Both are amazing places but NZ is more compact and you can see a much greater variety of scenery in short time once your there. Great wine, food and some pretty decent microbreweries if you do your homework.

In Patagonia the distances can be vast and due to the topography it isn't always easy to go from point A to B directly. Depending on the state of the economy in Argentina at the moment it may not be that much cheaper either. Summer in Patagonia is also the windy season and it really can blow down there.

If you do decide on NZ, Vaughn is right, watch out for the Sand Flies.......

Leszek Vogt
12-Sep-2017, 22:07
As much as I like Iceland, you's get roughly 7hrs of daylight there (kinda limiting)....tho there is always a potential to see then 'lights.

I think NZ would be great, but two weeks there (or about) is kind of like going to SW for similar amount of time ? Around that time I'd be thinking some place warm....like Barbados, Martinique, etc.

Les

DavidFisk
15-Sep-2017, 20:01
I've been fortunate to travel extensively in both Patagonia and New Zealand. If you can stand the long flight from the US, I would suggest NZ. Both are amazing places but NZ is more compact and you can see a much greater variety of scenery in short time once your there. Great wine, food and some pretty decent microbreweries if you do your homework.

In Patagonia the distances can be vast and due to the topography it isn't always easy to go from point A to B directly. Depending on the state of the economy in Argentina at the moment it may not be that much cheaper either. Summer in Patagonia is also the windy season and it really can blow down there.

If you do decide on NZ, Vaughn is right, watch out for the Sand Flies.......

Sandflies are never a problem with the simple expedient of DEET. Been there, done that. Eleven times.

Vaughn
15-Sep-2017, 20:29
Sandflies are never a problem with the simple expedient of DEET. Been there, done that. Eleven times.
But it is a bit disconcerting to look out one's tent and not be able to see the scenery because of the cloud of sand flies waiting just for you! While bike-touring with the 4x5, I put repellent on my legs only, and would put on my rain jacket when I stopped (don't like putting that stuff on me.). But most of the time the flies were not a problem -- plenty of worse places in the USA for biting bugs!

David Lobato
16-Sep-2017, 06:51
I've been to both NZ and Buenos Aires. Either would be great for a honeymoon. NZ for scenery and outdoor activities, Argentina for cultural music, dance, and theater.

Willie
16-Sep-2017, 08:26
How about Coalinga, California?

Why not try the California North Coast? Some very nice places, beautiful scenery and it costs a lot less than foreign travel.

DavidFisk
16-Sep-2017, 09:51
But it is a bit disconcerting to look out one's tent and not be able to see the scenery because of the cloud of sand flies waiting just for you! While bike-touring with the 4x5, I put repellent on my legs only, and would put on my rain jacket when I stopped (don't like putting that stuff on me.). But most of the time the flies were not a problem -- plenty of worse places in the USA for biting bugs!

I never encountered the little bastards except right around water (Lots of that in NZ.) So at least I knew where to expect them, which meant every time I shot a waterfall (Lots of those in NZ).

Vaughn
16-Sep-2017, 10:24
The vivid memory of the sandflies in front of the tent was while tramping on Stewart Island -- west coast of the South Island was another hot spot.

tgtaylor
16-Sep-2017, 11:17
Far worse than the sand-fly is the Patagonian Horse Fly: https://www.whatsthatbug.com/2009/01/03/horse-fly-from-patagonia/ Hiking along a trail you'll suddenly feel something dripping down your wrist which upon inspection turns out to be your blood. I've been told that they secrete an anesthetic when they bite so you don't feel the bite but only the blood oozing from the wound after they have gathered the harvest.

Thomas

coisasdavida
17-Sep-2017, 18:18
I have been to El Calafate, El Chalten and Ushuaya last january.
El Calafate is ok but too many car trips to see stuff.
Ushuaya is a tourist trap, sites are not so nice, restaurants are expensive, to see the penguins is ok.

There is nothing to do in El Chalten that involves riding a vehicle. It is either hiking or climbing.
Its size is around 5 by 10 blocks. The town runs at a different speed and so do people.
There is the hot chocolate place, there is the pizza place. There is the iceacream place.
All good, all reasonable.
You can see Cerro Torre and Fitzroy from anywhere in town, it is amazing.

appletree
16-Oct-2017, 07:12
Hey all!!!!
I didn't see all these recent (sorta recent) replies. THANKS SO MUCH!!!
I had been traveling a ton for work in Sept. and missed a lot of these.

We were pretty decided/leaning toward Argentina. Although, more talking and watching airfare's we realized:

The length of flights actually isn't THAT much longer to NZ. (about 4 to 5 hours more if taking non-stop or one stop).
If we could get flights affordable we might consider NZ
NZ is gorgeous and if we ever want to go, now might be our chance since we have so much time (in our mind)
3 weeks would be tough for us to take that much vacation, but we will have a total of 18 nights. Two of those days are traveling and we end up with about 15 full days in NZ.

So, a few mornings ago after watching flights for 6-8 weeks we snagged our tickets for a great price. We actually are flying out of Austin not Houston. Austin is where our wedding is at the day before we leave. So we will not even bother coming back to Houston and traveling Sunday night. We leave Monday night. Flight plan is AUS to IAH to AKL (to AKL is a really nice jet). About 17 total hours. Then coming back is AKL to SFO to AUS, also about 17 hours. Plus...for some strange reason I started noticing tickets were generally cheaper to fly out of AUS.

Keep the advice and locations coming (thanks for all the good info so far...we will bring bug spray for the sand flies)
I am not very adventurous. My fiance is however...so she might appreciate once or twice getting to do something sorta crazy (don't give this worrier a heart-attack).
We both enjoy the outdoors. We both enjoy hiking (honeymoon...so once again no 20 mile hikes). We both enjoy cooking, AirBNB, and wine. We have no problem going out and splurging here and there. But, also would have no issue buying groceries for a few days while at an AirBNB and cooking a few nights/lunches.
We have not planned the locations/itinerary yet. But still would think we could hop around (at a happy medium amount). 2-3 days here, 3-4 days there, 1-2 days here. Etc. So we aren't moving every single night. But also get to see what we can in the time we have. A mix of mountains, hiking, beach, etc. And maybe a day or two in the big city(ies).
We prefer small towns and local places.
As you all know, I love my film (35mm, 120, and 4x5...no idea yet what is going to be packed) and little places on the beach, trees, forest, mountains, lakes, waterfalls, etc. And she does too. We both love stuff like that.

OK, I think that is a lot about us. We will be there from Jan 29th - Feb 15th.

PS: On Trip Advisor forum someone suggested North Island for summer, South Island for winter. But, the next person really tailored the response to us, regarding wineries, photography, etc. He said since I enjoy photography, he would actually go to the South Island a good bit. We are trying to get a rough itinerary going...so we can plan AirBNBs, hotels, etc.

PPS: Camera options include 4x5 Chamonix 045N-2 (90mm Nikon and 210mm Schneider lenses) | Hasselblad 500 C/M (80mm and 150mm lenses) | Leica M2 (50mm dual range Summicron, can borrow dad's 35mm lens)

John Kasaian
16-Oct-2017, 12:49
I've heard LF film is crazy expen$ive in NZ/OZ. Take a bunch with you to sell when you get there and maybe recoup your flight tickets!

DavidFisk
16-Oct-2017, 13:55
If you would prefer 2 weeks only, then keep to the South Island. If you want some details, especially where tourists don't go, email me. Been there 11 times.

appletree
19-Oct-2017, 12:02
Thanks again for all the advice. I will send you a message/email David!

appletree
25-Oct-2017, 07:05
Friendly bump for any advice. I messaged you David, let me know if it didn't go through.

Thanks!!!

appletree
30-Oct-2017, 10:51
Ok, David has me 100% set up, as I am getting a personally written novel from him.

Any advice on cameras/lenses? What lens would you suggest for taking to a place like NZ? We are spending all of our time on the south island.

Honeymoon aside, what would you take?
Camera options include 4x5 Chamonix 045N-2 (90mm Nikon and 210mm Schneider lenses) | Hasselblad 500 C/M (80mm and 150mm lenses) | Leica M2 (50mm dual range Summicron, can borrow dad's 35mm lens)

Or perhaps there is an excuse for me to pick up a lens/focal length...I know lots of great M-Mount lenses were made, not just Leica glass.
I am also thinking about sending my Rolleiflex off to get repaired. The shutter button has been smashed in for 2+ years. It might be a great "compromise" as opposed to taking the entire Hassie kit.

Once again, us first, then the honeymoon, then other things/having fun/etc., then photos. Don't worry, I will make a wise decision and not pack 6 cameras.
Emily does not mind me taking photos, unless I have her sitting somewhere for 2+ hours with nothing to read/do.

DavidFisk
1-Nov-2017, 19:34
Take the Chamonix and both lenses at the very least. You will need them. Tripod, yes, of course. And several books for Emily.

bloodhoundbob
1-Nov-2017, 20:13
Ok, David has me 100% set up, as I am getting a personally written novel from him.

Any advice on cameras/lenses? What lens would you suggest for taking to a place like NZ? We are spending all of our time on the south island.

Honeymoon aside, what would you take?
Camera options include 4x5 Chamonix 045N-2 (90mm Nikon and 210mm Schneider lenses) | Hasselblad 500 C/M (80mm and 150mm lenses) | Leica M2 (50mm dual range Summicron, can borrow dad's 35mm lens)

Or perhaps there is an excuse for me to pick up a lens/focal length...I know lots of great M-Mount lenses were made, not just Leica glass.
I am also thinking about sending my Rolleiflex off to get repaired. The shutter button has been smashed in for 2+ years. It might be a great "compromise" as opposed to taking the entire Hassie kit.

Once again, us first, then the honeymoon, then other things/having fun/etc., then photos. Don't worry, I will make a wise decision and not pack 6 cameras.
Emily does not mind me taking photos, unless I have her sitting somewhere for 2+ hours with nothing to read/do.

Not sure where you could get your Rollei repaired in time. Harry in California is backed up for four months, but you might be able to find an alternative. Good luck in whatever you do!

Toyo
2-Nov-2017, 02:02
I would travel light.
Take the Leica and lots of film
Use some good tight grain film with the Leica M2 (50mm dual range Summicron, can borrow dad's 35mm lens)
You will enjoy your time taking photographs and your new bride will not lose you for too long while you do so.
You will be amazed at what you can achieve with a limited kit - and these two lenses are going to produce high quality images.
Have fun - there will be places that you simply cannot tote LF gear in any comfort - Fox Glacier, Milford Sound, Doubtful Sound, Mt Cook -especially if you take the flight - etc
Happy trails
T

appletree
2-Nov-2017, 11:20
Not sure where you could get your Rollei repaired in time. Harry in California is backed up for four months, but you might be able to find an alternative. Good luck in whatever you do!

A man named Youxin Ye repaired my Leica last year after the prism separated.
He mentioned a guy (that speaks little english) who is in the states and could repair my Rollei. He knows and trusts him. I never looked at any alternatives or contacted this man.

appletree
2-Nov-2017, 11:21
Thanks all for the advice! Much appreciated.

Tin Can
2-Nov-2017, 11:33
Travel light, M2.

Buy local bug spray. Always.

I wish you had 2 months.

My prayers are with you.

DavidFisk
2-Nov-2017, 14:07
Travel light, M2.

Buy local bug spray. Always.

I wish you had 2 months.

My prayers are with you.

Second that on the bug spray.

3 months would be better.

appletree
3-Nov-2017, 07:41
Bought These! (https://www.amazon.com/Bens-Mosquito-Insect-Repellent-Field/dp/B01N1MSDIA/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1509719275&sr=1-1-spons&keywords=bug+spray+wipes&psc=1&smid=A1XRRDOZEXT6R5)
Hoping the above work, I have used Ben's before and the stuff is great. Never tried the wipes.

And yes, I wish we had 2-3 months. Maybe when/if I quit work and we are called to more missions work. Hmm, could start a church in NZ. ;)

I will be honest, the 4x5 is coming with me. Traveling light be damned. It can sit in the trunk of the right-sided steering wheel of a vehicle.
The real question will be if I bring the Leica or ship the Rollei off. I think I will ship the Rollei off regardless. Leica probably smarter as I can swap lenses out and it has a smaller foot-print, more photos, etc.

I know many of you are married, have been married, etc. But Emily is very sweet and kind, encourages me to go shoot. Of course, she is human, and I need to be responsible. I'm not an idiot. Well, all us men are buffoons...but, I will be wise in the time I invest shooting in general. She was home-schooled, is way too nice of a person, and loves to read...she's planning to tote a few books for the car rides.

A photo of us young'ins in CO a few months back when I proposed.
We were there 4 days and the 4x5 came out once, one evening from 4-8PMish on a slow drive of Trail Ridge Road in RMNP.

appletree
10-Nov-2017, 16:02
I need, **want**, to pick up some filters for the 4x5 kit. Thinking about Cokin system.
I guess at a minimum I need orange full, orange grad??, maybe a yellow?, a little ND stop, big ND stop, and a polarizer...?