PDA

View Full Version : Where to repair my studio shutter?

lightcomesthrough
7-Sep-2017, 15:06
Hi there,

I have a large studio shutter (to which my Verito 11 1/2" is mounted) and one of the aperture blades is out of place. Where might I find a good repair shop to fix it? I've already tried Glass Key in San Francisco - they could not do the work. I've done a bit of searching on here but maybe I've not used the right terms - I'd love to know of a good place where I could take my LF lenses.

Cheers!

Leigh
7-Sep-2017, 15:28
Where are you located?

It might be beneficial to put that in your profile so it shows up with every post.

- Leigh

Jim Andrada
7-Sep-2017, 15:37
Carol at Flutot's in the LA area has solved every problem I've sent her.

And Grimes in Providence RI can do anything for a suitable sum of money.

pjd
7-Sep-2017, 17:33
That doesn't look too bad, for a studio shutter. You might find that repair shops will tell you it's ok as it is. How does it look a bit wider open? No point stopping down a Verito that far anyway?

russyoung
8-Sep-2017, 18:26
Bill Moretz, Pro Camera, Charlottesville, Virginia. He is a genius at repairs and fabricating tiny parts. http://www.procameraus.com/repair-services/

Russ

lightcomesthrough
11-Sep-2017, 21:36
Awright, thanks guys!

Jim Galli
12-Sep-2017, 11:49
What pjd said. Nature of the beastie. Best left alone . . assuming the rest is working reasonably. Some enterprising person should get someone in China to make us up a pile of parts for these so the ones that remain can make it another 100 years. Not me. I'm not enterprising.

Soomuu
12-Sep-2017, 18:29
If you are handy with things you may be able to fix it yourself. I had the same problem with a Studio shutter a while back. Actually with two of them.
For one of them I made a piece from a sheet of brass shim and glued it to the broken leave so it would sit in it's normal position. I'm not sure if yours is broken or not so you would have to open it and check. They are fairly simple. For another one I replaced a whole leave with one made from brass. Just be warned that the leaves can be brittle. A few snaps of what i did. Hope that helps.

Steven Tribe
13-Sep-2017, 03:35
If you are handy with things you may be able to fix it yourself. I had the same problem with a Studio shutter a while back. Actually with two of them.
For one of them I made a piece from a sheet of brass shim and glued it to the broken leave so it would sit in it's normal position. I'm not sure if yours is broken or not so you would have to open it and check. They are fairly simple. For another one I replaced a whole leave with one made from brass. Just be warned that the leaves can be brittle. A few snaps of what i did. Hope that helps.

Very nice work and interesting to see all the details of the leaves. Not for the faint hearted, though. The shutter design is smart, but has a built-in weakness around the holes.
I think a better project for entrepreneurs in China, or elsewhere, would be a range of simple iris clamps to replace the lost lens flanges

Roger Thoms
13-Sep-2017, 04:44
Chamonix has your iris clamp. http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/irislensboard.html

Roger

Soomuu
13-Sep-2017, 19:41
Very nice work and interesting to see all the details of the leaves. Not for the faint hearted, though. The shutter design is smart, but has a built-in weakness around the holes.
I think a better project for entrepreneurs in China, or elsewhere, would be a range of simple iris clamps to replace the lost lens flanges

Thanks Steven. I agree with the weakness around the holes in combination with material used.
As for the Iris clamps, What Roger mentioned with Chamonix having made one already.

Steven Tribe
14-Sep-2017, 00:05
Chamonix has your iris clamp. http://www.chamonixviewcamera.com/irislensboard.html

Roger

OH yes, I remember seeing this some years ago. With all respect to Chamonix and their investment in tooling and large format in general, it is strange that a very simple item is priced at exactly the same level that the original iris clamps command!