PDA

View Full Version : HELP! Very Strange Black Lines

jianglinxi
6-Sep-2017, 16:19
Hello everybody,

I took some 4x5 photos in summer. I find one or two very strange line(s) on some frames.

I use tray processing to develop 4x5 negative. Beside long edge, I can see one or two bright lines (blurred) on some negatives. After I make contact printing, it shows dark blurred line on some frames. I really have no idea what is the cause of blurred strange line.

I didn't try to enlarge these frames, but I think black line(s) can be seen on large prints (11x14").

I really don't want this line(s) shows in my future frames. Please help me.

Please look at the following reference photo. I use red squares to show location of strange lines.

Thx

Vaughn
6-Sep-2017, 16:54
Test your camera for light leaks.

consummate_fritterer
6-Sep-2017, 17:16
Light leaks would be lighter (in the print) than the rest of the image. That appears to be either a processing problem or a film manufacturing flaw.

I can only speculate that the developer tray has raised ridges and those may be decreasing development if the film was developed emulsion side down, creating those darker lines.

I suggest you place the film in the cleaned developer tray and look for where the lines (lighter in the negs) align in the tray.

jianglinxi
6-Sep-2017, 17:34
Thank you! If camera has light leaks, the line should be lighter.

jianglinxi
6-Sep-2017, 17:37
Light leaks would be lighter (in the print) than the rest of the image. That appears to be either a processing problem or a film manufacturing flaw.

I can only speculate that the developer tray has raised ridges and those may be decreasing development if the film was developed emulsion side down, creating those darker lines.

I suggest you place the film in the cleaned developer tray and look for where the lines (lighter in the negs) align in the tray.

Thank you! The film was developed emulsion side up. The developer tray is the current version which is made by Paterson.

Vaughn
6-Sep-2017, 17:39
But in both images, the rebate appears to be lighter in the areas of the darker 'lines'.

consummate_fritterer
6-Sep-2017, 21:31
Vaugn, I think you're seeing glare reflected off the surface of the contact prints.

consummate_fritterer
6-Sep-2017, 21:34
Jianglinxi, is it possible that the film was accidentally developed emulsion side down?

jianglinxi
7-Sep-2017, 05:58
Jianglinxi, is it possible that the film was accidentally developed emulsion side down?

I'm 100% sure the film was developed emulsion side up.

dasBlute
7-Sep-2017, 09:42
could be not enough randomness in your agitation

consummate_fritterer
7-Sep-2017, 09:54
I'm 100% sure the film was developed emulsion side up.

Okay, sorry... I'm at a loss.

bob carnie
7-Sep-2017, 11:00
the minus density on negative (dark on print) is caused by uneven development ... first 15- 20 seconds of any film development is critical , more agitation is required at this critical time.

plaubel
7-Sep-2017, 11:02
This may look like too old film.
What type is it?
I can't see the nodges...

paulbarden
7-Sep-2017, 11:05
A water presoak will probably help prevent these uneven development marks in the future.

Jim Andrada
7-Sep-2017, 19:44
I find it interesting that the lines are all parallel to the long side of the film and approximately the same distance from the edge (according to my eyeballs!). Why would uneven development work that way? I've seen problems like that caused by reflections from the edges of the film holders but that would be darker on the negs and lighter on the print

jianglinxi
7-Sep-2017, 20:11
This may look like too old film.
What type is it?
I can't see the nodges...

The film is Ilford Delta 100. It's fresh film not old stock.

jianglinxi
7-Sep-2017, 20:12
A water presoak will probably help prevent these uneven development marks in the future.

Thank you for your advise! I'm going to try next time.

jianglinxi
7-Sep-2017, 20:15
I find it interesting that the lines are all parallel to the long side of the film and approximately the same distance from the edge (according to my eyeballs!). Why would uneven development work that way? I've seen problems like that caused by reflections from the edges of the film holders but that would be darker on the negs and lighter on the print

My lines are dark not light. I'm wondering what happen to my negative. I had not issue to use tray processing before this summer. But both dark lines make me crazy.

LabRat
7-Sep-2017, 21:27
You did develop this film in an oversize tray, larger than 5X7???

I only get even 4X5 single sheet processing in an 8X10 tray... If there is not enough cross-flow during agitation, the by-products of the processing will "clump" in an area, and retard or advance (or both) in different areas... This does not mean you have to agitate the hell out of it, as the walls of the tray nearer the film can affect the even flow over it that displaces the by-products...

Steve K

AtlantaTerry
8-Sep-2017, 01:32
I disagree with all the suggestions offered so far. Why? Because the lines are even and repeated. No light leak or developing issue or age of the film would be as even or repeatable.

I have no idea what it is but I have to wonder if it has something with the two channels along the sides of every sheet film holder. As to HOW that might be possible, as I said I have no idea.

plaubel
8-Sep-2017, 02:30
Even and repeated lines may come from this ugly "canyons" on the bottom of usual trays.
The developer gets another concentration and less movement in this canyons.

I now would expose one not so dark film with even light; then I probably could see what happend to my film.

Ritchie

Ken Lee
8-Sep-2017, 04:41
There are different kinds of tray development, some better than others.

It's a good idea to pick up the film, turn it upside-down, return it to the developer and repeat this process throughout development, stop bath and fixer.

Make sure the emulsion faces up sometimes, down other times.

jianglinxi
13-Sep-2017, 05:02
There are different kinds of tray development, some better than others.

It's a good idea to pick up the film, turn it upside-down, return it to the developer and repeat this process throughout development, stop bath and fixer.

Make sure the emulsion faces up sometimes, down other times.

Thank you for your advises! I tried 5 negatives last weekend! No issues any more!

jianglinxi
13-Sep-2017, 05:04
Thank everyone for help!!