PDA

View Full Version : 11x14 Deardorff studio

Chris Boas
15-Jul-2005, 12:46
I recently "picked up" an 11x14 deardorff studio camera at auction and I am offered the studio stand for the camera if I want it, the columns on the stand are 8' 3" and it's in good shape. My first question, is it worth the effort to move this monster to my studio for the actual function of the camera or can I support the camera in another way and secondly is there any added value in keeping these two components together if I choose to sell the camera in the future? Thanks in advance for your thoughts, I've been enjoying the forum for quit some time and this is my first opportunity to log in.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
15-Jul-2005, 12:51
You will find it very difficult to find a tripod that can hold one of these monsters; the standard 11x14 tripods (Reis, Majestic, S&D) won't cut it. You might be able to replace the stand with a hydraulic table, but if it were me I would rent a Uhaul, borrow a pickup, or what ever it takes to move the stand.

David A. Goldfarb
15-Jul-2005, 13:41
It's that big heavy stand that makes them hard to sell, but I agree with Jason. It's the right support for the camera.

Richard Rankin
15-Jul-2005, 14:30
I have an 11x14 Century Studio which is a similar monster , and would love to have the 'real' support for it. These cameras are far too large and unwieldy for a tripod. I have mine on a narrow table, but it is difficult to raise and lower the lens this way. If you really want to use the camera to its fullest, I'd go for the support.

Cheers, Richard

John Cook
15-Jul-2005, 17:29
That stand will allow you to raise (or lower) a hundred-pound camera exactly 2-3/4 inches or tilt it exactly 2 degrees with just a light twist of the wrist. Absolutely no other way to achieve these fine adjustments.

The stand is a necessary part of the camera.

I have earned my living with three different 11x14 Deardorffs in three different studios over the decades. I know!

Bruce E. Rathbun
16-Jul-2005, 19:03
Heck of a deal. I use an 11x14 Wisner for portrait work. Even mounted on a Ries the camera is a difficult to work with. Do what ever it takes to move that monster. Having worked with a 11x14 Deardorff (studio model) on a stand I can stay the effort to move the stand is well worth it. Good luck.

-Bruce