PDA

View Full Version : Chamonix 045N-2 vs Wista 45DX design comparison

anorphirith
30-Aug-2017, 17:54
I just got my 045N-2 I ordered last week. This is a quick post comparing the design of the wista 45dx and the chamonix 045n-2 before I get used to it and forget the differences.

Advantages of the Chamonix :
-Newer materials it feels incredibly solid, but it's about the same weight as the wista
-The tripod mount is in the middle of the camera and it can be changed if you wear out the threads. As opposed to right below the rear standard (TERRIBLE design). I was really worried of mounting my 300mm lens on the wista. Since all the weight was directly forward of the mount, I really felt like I could easily damage the tripod mount, or just cause it to fail.
-Has 2 tripod mounts so you can lock it in place. The single mount of the Wista cause it to rotate in it's axis....
-The carbon fiber ground glass cover, I was always worried that the ground glass would scratch or break when storing / transporting the Wista, but now I don't have to worry about it, they included a well design carbon fiber plate that covers the ground glass. no need to worry about it.
-Opening and closing the Chamonix is much more intuitive than the wista. it took me a whole 10 minutes with 3 other photographers to find out how to close the Wista once it was open. Even if it's faster to open and close on the Wista I feel like it's over engineered.
-A whopping 100mm extra bellows over the wista to a max of 400mm. That's a huge advantage no ? I can even buy an additional extender that'll bring it to 500mm total.
-An optional leather case that hugs the camera very well and protects it during transport without adding heft of thickness to it
-EASY movements. I don't need to look for the knob to adjust the standards, or play with one extra railing on the front standard.
-Super smooth focusing. Focusing from 50mm to 100mm with the wista has to be done by sliding the standard back and forth. It's harder to keep the Wista standard aligned in it's vertical axis, thus you have to make sure it's perfectly aligned before tightening it.
-A nice black felt padding on the lens mount.
-The focusing knob in the back makes for a more compact design.
-Ground glass marking for different 120 formats. that's invaluable if you're using roll backs.

Advantages of the Wista :
-Faster to open and close.
-Looks slightly better to my eyes. beautiful classic design
-No lever screwed on the wood which makes for a cleaner look (again personal preference)
-It has a handle ?
-Easier to focus from 100mm to 300mm with the knob in front, although it makes the design less compact

Anyway, I'm very happy with my new camera, I was hesitating putting that much money for a view camera but I don't regret it at all. I personally think that it's much better designed than the Wista. It was totally worth it

Peter Collins
30-Aug-2017, 18:26
I love my 45N-2. So easy to use.

Pfsor
31-Aug-2017, 05:00
Advantages of the Chamonix :
-Opening and closing the Chamonix is much more intuitive than the wista. it took me a whole 10 minutes with 3 other photographers to find out how to close the Wista once it was open. Even if it's faster to open and close on the Wista I feel like it's over engineered.

Advantages of the Wista :
-Faster to open and close.

Good grief! The comparison speaks a lot more about its author than the cameras I'm afraid, even apart from the logical errors.
It took me no time whatsoever to close my Wista DX camera the first time I got my hands on it. It was my first LF camera to ever see (long time ago). I closed the camera with no problem (I remembered the way I opened it). No photographers were around to help me, just my friend looking at me (who bought the camera for me).

otto.f
31-Aug-2017, 08:53
Can't agree more about the quality Chamonix brings and how everything has been thought through by them. I ordered a 45F-2 24th of August and it came in no-time. Very happy with that one too. I cannot compare with Wista. But it's a real field camera, very light, compact, etc. but still just as good usable in the studio a s a Sinar I'd say after first experiences.

Blair Ware
14-Sep-2017, 09:05
As an owner of both a DX and a Chamonix, I would sell the Chamonix before the DX for two reasons: the DX can be folded with 150mm installed and the rosewood and brass on the DX are spectacular (mine dates from the late 70s).