PDA

View Full Version : Rodenstock Sinaron SE 150 tricking out / chasing the shutter

1erCru
29-Aug-2017, 14:04
Does anyone know the maximum speed at which this lens fails to keep up with a strobe? I realize this question maybe be impossible to answer but figured I'd ask. I can use an einstein or digibee 800.

I'm looking for shutter lag roughly 1/5 the way up the frame. Looking for the black portion to be at the bottom of the image as I see it with my eyes. I assume it's a leaf shutter but thought I read somewhere that around 400 was safe and 500+ might cause issues.

Thanks for any help with this!

Bob Salomon
29-Aug-2017, 14:16
It is usually in a leaf shutter and that synths electronic flash at all shutter speeds.
But you don't have to ask. It is extremely east to test it yourself. Just point the lens and the flash at a wall. Plug the flash into the shutter. Hold the shutter in your hand, fire the shutter while looking through the back of the shutter. When it is in synth you will see a round circle of light when it fires. If it is not in synth you will not see a round circle. Do the test with the aperture at 5.6.

1erCru
29-Aug-2017, 14:33
Great! Thank You

EdSawyer
30-Aug-2017, 07:38
If it's in a normal shutter (Copal 0), it will sync at all speeds, as mentioned. If you want the effect you describe, it would require a focal plane shutter. If you are talking about the Sinar shutter - not sure on that.

Ivan J. Eberle
30-Aug-2017, 09:48
What exactly are you trying to do? Sounds like you're using this with a digital shutter on a digital back or DSLR of some kind? You can sync the shutter at 1/500 connected the P/C terminal of the Copal 0 shutter directly, but your camera or back will need to have the focal plane or digital shutter wide open (bulb, time) and likely have to manually trip the leaf shutter to achieve this.

Back in the day, really high speed work (micro-second, not milliseconds) was traditionally done with an open shutter in a darkened room with slow speed films and very fast (spark gap) flashes. Commercial studio portrait flash packs and heads have among the longest duration flash durations. You can get high enough speeds to stopping hummingbird's wings with several shoe-mount flashes optically synched together... and leaf shutters can help to exclude ambient exposure somewhat, and not suffer the rolling slit effect.

Jason Greenberg Motamedi
30-Aug-2017, 10:00
Ed's point is important; what you are describing will require a focal plane shutter. These are usually only available with a (large format) SLR, like a Graflex. So, to do what you describe with LF you need a new camera.

Mark Sampson
30-Aug-2017, 10:39
Are you thinking of what in SLRs is called "rear-curtain synch"? Where the shutter fires the flash not at the beginning of the shutter's opening, but just before the exposure ends? No LF camera or shutter (that I've ever heard of) can do that.

Bob Salomon
30-Aug-2017, 12:26
Are you thinking of what in SLRs is called "rear-curtain synch"? Where the shutter fires the flash not at the beginning of the shutter's opening, but just before the exposure ends? No LF camera or shutter (that I've ever heard of) can do that.

The Rodenstock eShutter does that and it is a large format 0 size shutter.

1erCru
30-Aug-2017, 17:42
Thanks for the responses. I had to shoot the shot digitally which was a bummer but learned something about lenses in the process