PDA

View Full Version : Negatives with unwanted brown stain

Pawlowski6132
27-Aug-2017, 13:57
So, by any chance has anyone had a recent issue with Bergger 400 8x10? Specifically, I just developed two sheets and they exhibit the exact same issue: a brown stain (and uneven development like horizontal banding) about 5in x 5in right in the middle of the film.

I'm wondering if this has to do with the rotary processing???

I'm 1/2 hoping it's the batch of film.

thanx

Jp

Pawlowski6132
28-Aug-2017, 06:41
Here's a pix. It's subtle in this image of the negative but really more pronounced. You can see it spreading from left to wright towards the bottom of the teapot. It's even harder to see in this jpg of the boy but, you can see the brown tint in the negative.

koraks
28-Aug-2017, 06:51
Perhaps a problem with the fixing step?

bob carnie
28-Aug-2017, 07:04
Looks like the fixer is gone ... try refixing in fresh chemicals.

Pawlowski6132
28-Aug-2017, 10:11
If you want to blame rotary lifesaving we are going to need more information. What developer and dilution? What rotary equipment? Have you used this same combo before with no problems?

I'm not sure it matters which developer or equipment is bein used but, FWIW, I'm using HC110-B with Unicolor drum and base (bi-directional).

When this problem arose, I actually developed four negatives exposed in the exact same way at the exact same time. Two with Ilford FP4+ and two with the Bergger 400.

I developed them consecutively with fresh developer and relatively fresh fixer. So, temp, process, conditions, etc. and everything else the same.

The only thing that was different from exposure to development was the film and the film holder.

The FP4 looks great. the Bergger, not so much.

What's bothering me is that BOTH Bergger negatives have the same issue.

I will expose ore Bergger and develop to see if I can repeat the issue but wanted to know what else I should be considering?

Does Bergger require Pre-Soak?

I asked about rotary because of the bars/streaks in the film that are consistent with the direction of the drum rotation.

koraks
28-Aug-2017, 10:21
Have you tried refixing the bergger sheets yet? Just do it in an open tray with fresh fixer so you can see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you can rule this factor out.

Pawlowski6132
28-Aug-2017, 11:26
Have you tried refixing the bergger sheets yet? Just do it in an open tray with fresh fixer so you can see what happens. Worst case scenario is that you can rule this factor out.

I will do that for sure today.

bob carnie
28-Aug-2017, 13:29
I will do that for sure today.

I think you will find this solves the problem .

Pawlowski6132
31-Aug-2017, 13:30
Well whadda ya know. My fixer was exhausted.

Also, FWIW, Bergger data sheet, "...highly recommends to presoak in water at least for one minute."

Also, "Bergger Pancro 400 needs a longer than usual fixing time. In rapid, non hardening fixer, it is recommended to use a dilution of 1:4 for 6 minutes."

All better now.

thanx team LF

domaz
31-Aug-2017, 15:36
If you are using Unicolor drums you will need to take the sheets out after fixing them initially in the tank and fix them longer in a tray. The fixer can't get to the reverse side of the film with this kind of tank (assuming it has no ridges).

Pere Casals
1-Sep-2017, 04:20
Well whadda ya know. My fixer was exhausted.

Also, FWIW, Bergger data sheet, "...highly recommends to presoak in water at least for one minute."

Also, "Bergger Pancro 400 needs a longer than usual fixing time. In rapid, non hardening fixer, it is recommended to use a dilution of 1:4 for 6 minutes."

All better now.

thanx team LF

As it was a fixing issue the presoaking lack should not be a contributing factor in the brown stains.

Also it should be noted that in the case of FP4+ Ilford recommends not using presoaking (pre-rinse): "A pre-rinse is not recommended as it can lead to uneven processing." http://largeformatfilm.com/FP4-plus.pdf , page 3.

This is because Ilford says that presoaking removes surfactants from emulsion that they include in it to ensure an even development.

Berger product may have other processing recommendations...