PDA

View Full Version : SP-445 Just Arrived

IanBarber
18-Aug-2017, 11:24
After doing a bunch of research, I finally took the plunge and placed the order about 8 days ago and it arrived this morning.

Ive just developed a single sheet and its hanging to dry.

Questions:
I did notice that after removing the film from the holder, only one side was under the lugs. Apart from plenty of practice, any tips for ensuring the film is properly inserted into the holder.

I watched Tim's video and he put wetting agent into the tank at the end. I did read somewhere where someone said not to add Photo-Flo into the tank but do this in a separate dish.
Are there any disadvantageous of putting Photo-Flo into the tank.

Alan9940
18-Aug-2017, 12:18
Ian,

I would suspect that agitation caused the film to dislodge from the clips on one side. How did you agitate? Was it gentle or more forceful? I'm also wondering if the more "openness" of the film holders (compared to mine which are solid) might cause stronger fluid dynamics against the film. Such turbulence could cause the film to dislodge. It might also be that one shouldn't really process single sheets? Perhaps two sheets in one holder keeps them situated?

As for putting Photo-Flo in the tank. Lots of opinions on both sides of this question, but FWIW I always do the Photo-Flo step in a tray--roll or sheet film.

Good luck with your new SP-445!

IanBarber
18-Aug-2017, 13:08
To be fair, I haven't really got the hang of the agitation yet with the SP-445, there is a chance that you might be right Alan. Tomorrow I will put a dummy sheet in and do some testing with water.

From the upright position, I rotated it 90 degrees forward, then 90 degrees backwards thinking this constitutes as 1 inversion and then repeated.

kaif
18-Aug-2017, 13:39
My understanding is that most people do the wetting agent outside the tanks, because it can over time build up on the plastic spools which are used to hold 35mm or 120 film - which eventually makes the dried spools sticky and hard to load. That shouldn't be a problem with the SP-445 I don't think, since you don't have to feed the film along such a long run. Having said this, I have now got into the habit of doing wetting agent (b/w) or stabiliser (C-41) in a separate tray for all my processing. From reading what the manufacturer writes, I believe that for the SP-445, the wetting agent is meant to help to get the film out of the wet holders at the end of processing though.

Mick Fagan
18-Aug-2017, 14:20
I wouldn't put wetting agent into the tank, you can, but cleaning things after adding wetting agent is a bit of a chore.

With my own SP-445 I pull a film holder out and lay it flat in an 8x10" tray half filled with water. By doing this, the film (top sheet in this case) virtually floats out of the holder. This certainly makes life much easier in getting the film sheets out. I then transfer each sheet individually into a 5x7" tray half filled with wetting agent, where it is gently held and swished in the wetting agent for around 30-40 seconds. Been doing this wetting agent method for about 35 years, works well.

To answer your question, I too have had a sheet not clipped inside the retaining lugs on one side at the end of processing. I have not ascertained whether it was like that for the entire developing run, or whether it came adrift during processing. My guess was that it wasn't inserted correctly when I loaded the sheet, I'll probably never know the correct answer.

Mick.

Alan9940
18-Aug-2017, 14:25
Like Mick, I pull the film holder, with film, from the tank after the fix step and drop into a tray of water. The film is easily removed. As for the film not being under the clips after loading what I do is very gently use both my thumbnails to feel each clip to verify that the film is under each one.

IanBarber
18-Aug-2017, 15:29
Thanks, I will take note of some of the suggestions.

The film is dry and after the initial scan everything looks ok apart from I can see areas on the edge of the negative which align up perfectly with the retaining lugs where the film slides under the holder.

I know the image can be cropped to not show these but not quite sure it's normal to see them. This is the new modified holder, the one which is not a solid back if that makes any difference.

Alan9940
18-Aug-2017, 15:51
The film is dry and after the initial scan everything looks ok apart from I can see areas on the edge of the negative which align up perfectly with the retaining lugs where the film slides under the holder.

I, too, have seen latent marks on the edge of the film from the clips. But, not one has ever intruded into the image area. Maybe I've just been lucky...

callmebrick
18-Aug-2017, 20:12
I one of the SP-445's with solid neg holders and once in a while a sheet does slide out of a holder. I think it happens during rinsing or during an empty/fill cycle.

Nodda Duma
19-Aug-2017, 04:17
I just took the plunge on an SP-445 and have developed several sheets of slide film now in the week or so that I've owned it. The thing is great!

I agitate heavily during the processing by grabbing by the the top and quickly rotating upside down and back several times over each 15 second agitation time. I have not seen development artifacts at the tabs like what you describe, so agitation technique might be the key.

Bill_1856
19-Aug-2017, 05:06
What is an SP=445?

esearing
19-Aug-2017, 05:25
I put a couple of drops of photoflo in the tank as a last step, and dump. I clean the holders with hot water after I remove the film before putting them away.
I have the old style holders and sometimes fail to load under the tabs perfectly and I do get the ridge marks on the back of the film when wet. You could put a previously developed sheet behind the current piece if the fluid dynamics are causing your film to slip if only developing one sheet in the holder.

The tab marks are usually within the rebate area. I think agitation method may also play a role in how far out they extend and possibly bubbles around the tabs. I have resorted to a smooth hand over hand method which seems to reduce the tab marks. Grasp bottom of tank in right hand, arc over to left hand so the top of the tank is now in your left hand and the bottom is facing up, then arc back over to place the bottom in the right hand again. Looks like a twisting 3d figure 8. As I set the holder down I give it a firm tap/landing to dislodge any bubbles. while fixing I usually just use one hand and gently invert up and down every few seconds.

esearing
19-Aug-2017, 05:32
What is an SP=445?

A 4x5 developing daylight tank developed by Stearman Press (http://www.stearmanpress.com). It holds about 475-500 ml of developer and can be inverted without major leakage. It has 2 film holders which can accommodate 4 sheets of 4x5 film, or you can process a single sheet for stand/semi stand methods providing you have enough developer.

AuditorOne
20-Aug-2017, 01:21
I love mine. I have a Jobo 2509 as well but I can do film as well as develop paper in the SP-445. Can't do that with the Jobo unless you have the paper drums which are not inexpensive.

rennie
20-Aug-2017, 21:31
I recently returned my SP 445 to the retailer that carries it here. Had problems with scratches and areas that didn't develop or didn't clear because they were pinched by the tabs or fingers that hold he film. When I contacted Stearman about it they suggested I basically repair it using a knife. Anyway I bought a 2500 series Jobo tank on eBay. It processes 6 sheets with 270 ml of chem and turns out perfect flawless negs. I think the SP445 is a cool idea that didn't quite make the grade in production and quality control.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IanBarber
21-Aug-2017, 00:33
Still early days for me, but Ive just developed another sheet having experienced tab marks on the 1st one.

This time I loaded the film vertically into the holder rather than the holder been laid down horizontally.

From what I can see on the negative which is drying, No tab marks or scratches at all. Will scan it later.

ericantonio
23-Aug-2017, 16:12
At the lab, we used to put some isopropl alchohol ( a couple of drops) in an 8x10 tank that holds the flo. Cause we use it all day from basket processing sh**load of film. So last metal 8x10 had flo and the alcholol. We used it so it'll dry faster and it kept things from growing in the flo, weird I know, but there's some weird stuff in flo.

Also, we never flo any plastic reels. Now at home, I just use my 4x5 yankee tank as my washer and flo.

tim48v
2-Sep-2017, 14:31
Designing the hold down fingers (tabs) was trickier than you'd expect. They can't be too tight or there's no flow under them; can't be too loose or the film will slip out. Film also varies in thickness and width from brand to brand. Our newest film holders have a "ridge" under the tab which helps.

Frankly, if the film comes out during agitation, you probably mis-loaded and missed a tab or are shooting really thin film.

The "finger prints" from the tabs should be outside the image area. Of course camera film holders vary a bit etc, but the marks are seldom an issue.

As for wetting agents, we've used our H20-Flow in the tanks without issue (hundreds of tankfuls!). It is not the same formula as Photo-flo but I suspect that many problems blamed on photo-flo are related to minerals in the water. I'll have to ask our chemist about it.

Here's a short video on the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrtU0bhArQ&t=141s

Regarding leaking, don't forget the "squeeze play": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFF1F1PLM1U&t=20s

For the record, we've shipped thousands of SP-445s all over the world. We've had TWO returned.

IanBarber
2-Sep-2017, 14:48
Designing the hold down fingers (tabs) was trickier than you'd expect. They can't be too tight or there's no flow under them; can't be too loose or the film will slip out. Film also varies in thickness and width from brand to brand. Our newest film holders have a "ridge" under the tab which helps.

Frankly, if the film comes out during agitation, you probably mis-loaded and missed a tab or are shooting really thin film.

The "finger prints" from the tabs should be outside the image area. Of course camera film holders vary a bit etc, but the marks are seldom an issue.

As for wetting agents, we've used our H20-Flow in the tanks without issue (hundreds of tankfuls!). It is not the same formula as Photo-flo but I suspect that many problems blamed on photo-flo are related to minerals in the water. I'll have to ask our chemist about it.

Here's a short video on the system: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTrtU0bhArQ&t=141s

Regarding leaking, don't forget the "squeeze play": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vFF1F1PLM1U&t=20s

For the record, we've shipped thousands of SP-445s all over the world. We've had TWO returned.

I have gotten used to my new SP-445 now. The loading of film is far superior to the Mod54 I was using.
The results are perfect, even with semi stand development

Ive never been able to find the 450ml marker level though, is it still part of the production

tim48v
2-Sep-2017, 15:50
Ian,
Here's a photo of the 450ml indicator.
Tim

IanBarber
3-Sep-2017, 00:30
Ian,
Tim

Thanks Tim - I see it now

esearing
3-Sep-2017, 04:59
Ian,

Assumes you are using both holders and film. For those of us processing one sheet at a time the tank can hold a little more and might make a difference on the top edge if you miss it. Depending which versions of the holders you have there may be more/less displacement of volume. I usually mix 500ml and pour in until I see it break the venting hole while squeezing the tank, and have only a few drops left in my mixing vessel.

tim48v
3-Sep-2017, 07:30
Esearing has a good point.
If you're only using one holder, be sure to fill to the "450ml tab" (it will take about 480ml).
Personally, I always fill to the "vent hole" because it's easier to see.

IanBarber
3-Sep-2017, 13:27
Assumes you are using both holders and film. For those of us processing one sheet at a time the tank can hold a little more and might make a difference on the top edge if you miss it. Depending which versions of the holders you have there may be more/less displacement of volume. I usually mix 500ml and pour in until I see it break the venting hole while squeezing the tank, and have only a few drops left in my mixing vessel.

When processing one sheet of film and using 500ml. do you have the other holder in the tank as well or just one holder with one sheet of film?

tim48v
3-Sep-2017, 19:24
Ian,
I leave out the unloaded holder but it really shouldn't matter.

Tim