PDA

View Full Version : Schneider G-Claron 355mm

Ross Hint
11-Jul-2005, 01:04
Why was a Schneider G-Claron 355mm/f9 so cheap at Ebxy (#7528976025)? Only $300!

Tony Karnezis
11-Jul-2005, 02:11
Because there's no shutter.

Donald Hutton
11-Jul-2005, 10:37
That guy has a whole bunch to sell and they are basically new lenses - a great deal if you are ever thinking about ULF...

Michael Kadillak
11-Jul-2005, 11:03
The one I acquired has a bit of Schneidernitis, but still a fabulous optic that has been discontinued. I have the same lens in a Copal #3 and the new elements will screw directly into the existing shutter. The coverage beyond 12x20 is fabulous for this focal length.

Christian Olivet
11-Jul-2005, 14:43
I bought one too for about the same money. Think about spending $350-400 on a shutter and another $300 to have Steve Grimes shop mount it for you.
The lens is awesome. Yes heavy, but it performs.

Jim Galli
11-Jul-2005, 14:50
This fellow ended up with a case of new lenses. He's kind of saturated the market even though the price is good. New shutters used to be $389. Probably more now...

Kevin Crisp
12-Jul-2005, 10:59
I'm curous. How many G Clarons are there in a case of new lenses?

Jorge Gasteazoro
12-Jul-2005, 11:02
I'm curous. How many G Clarons are there in a case of new lenses?

He mentioned he had 30 lenses.

I got me one for my 12x20, it too had some schnideritis but for the price it was a steal.

ministryofhealing
15-Jan-2012, 18:22
What is schnideritits? I am thinking about getting a g-claron and this concerns me...

Dan Fromm
15-Jan-2012, 18:47
Separation of the blacking -- it bubbles up -- from the edges of lens elements is called schneideritis. IMO, it should be called Boyeritis 'cos Boyer lenses have it more often and worse than Schneider lenses.

Has no effect on image quality, reduces resale value.

ministryofhealing
15-Jan-2012, 19:02
And these lenses are not multi-coated??? So flaring is also an issue?

ministryofhealing
15-Jan-2012, 19:03
It's a great value, but single-coating worries me..

ministryofhealing
15-Jan-2012, 19:07
Is the lens single-coated? What are the benefits of multi-coating?

Lachlan 717
15-Jan-2012, 19:15
Is the lens single-coated? What are the benefits of multi-coating?

With all due respect, you're asking some pretty basic questions. I'm picking that you're going to get flamed a bit by some of the members here.

I'd suggest using Google et al AND the search function here (see tool bar above) to try to find answers before asking here.

Steve Hamley
15-Jan-2012, 22:00
Yes, it is single coated.

Multicoating effectively increases contrast over single coating, which can be either good or bad in a specific instance, but is generally good.

There's probably more difference between uncoated versus single coated than single versus multicoated. Contrast Also depends on the lens design and internal baffling as well.

If you shoot B&W, it mostly doesn't matter because you can adjust contrast by development time. St. Ansel mentioned this somewhere in "the Making of 40 Photographs"'

Cheers, Steve

Paddy McKay
6-Feb-2020, 15:30
Picking up on this old thread: Personally, I agree that overall the non vs single coating, shows greater benefits, than single vs multi coating. Unless you're doing commercial and/or tranny work, I prefer single coat. A lens hood/hat/ dark slide easily addresses stray light. Cost of purchasing is sometimes much more reasonable. I have a multi-coated 270 G-Claron that is contrastier than I prefer for my B&W work.

There's so many unique old uncoated old lenses out there, with amazing rendering qualities. As always, the right tool for the right job.

Jim Noel
6-Feb-2020, 16:35
I think everyone going into LF photography should be required to start with an uncoated lens in an early shutter. Then when they later begin to acquire more equipment they will have an appreciation for the word those of us who were using this equipment in the 1930's and before.I still prefer the more realistic rendering of the old lenses over the sharp cut-off cut and paste images produced by modern ultra-sharp lenses. Each has its place, but it makes little sense to degrade the wonderful equipment from which modern materials and equipment grew.

Kevin Crisp
6-Feb-2020, 16:53
Paddy

I don't think there any multi-coated 270mm g clarons. Or any multi-coated g clarons, period. So what you are saying is that a single coated lens is too contrasty for you. Personally I would never pass on a great lens because it is single coated.

Paddy McKay
6-Feb-2020, 17:11
Paddy

I don't think there any multi-coated 270mm g clarons. Or any multi-coated g clarons, period. So what you are saying is that a single coated lens is too contrasty for you. Personally I would never pass on a great lens because it is single coated.

Actually, it is multi-coated. Back in the mid 2000's I sent the lens, in barrel, off to Arax, in Kiev, where it received a modern multi re-coating. Then I had SK Grimes mount it into a Copal shutter. It's now definitely much contrastier than the original single coated version. I just never ended up using it much because I seem to prefer my old 270 Tele-Arton (s. coated). It's definitely a rare bird, though.

John Kasaian
6-Feb-2020, 17:17
There's a lot of great info to be found by clicking on the LF Home Page on that light blue banner way up ^^^there^^^ :)
https://www.largeformatphotography.info/lenses-general.html

FWIW I only own one multicoated LF lens and my ratio of single coated to un coated lenses are about 50/50.
They all get used and are all fine performers.

Don't stress over your gear minutiae, stress over the minutiae you see upside down and backwards on the ground glass instead
Better yet don't stress at all---just enjoy the adventure! :o

Greg
6-Feb-2020, 17:38
Years ago had a 355mm in barrel mount that I used on my 11x14. Loved the images that I got with the lens. Then found a bargain deal on a 355mm in a Copal in mint condition and acquired the lens. Then sold my older 355mm barrel lens. After about a year of shooting with the newer 355mm in the Copal, realized that the images I was getting with the newer lens were not like those from the older 355mm. Honestly preferred the images that I got with that older G-Claron. I can only postulate that the older 355mm was a Dagor formula G-Claron, will never know for sure. My favorite all time lens for 8x10 is a 12 inch f/4.5 Wollensak Velostigmat in a BETAX 5, even though I also have and use on occasions a 300mm f/5.6 Fujinon W in a COPAL. Sometimes older is preferred over a newer optic.