PDA

View Full Version : Some questions about my Wista 45SP camera

williaty
14-Aug-2017, 18:16
I received my Wista 45SP today and the supposedly English-language manual is... not clear, shall we say. Because of that, I have some questions.

1) There's a little spring loaded tab/lever thing sticking out of the upper left corner of the film back. The manual doesn't even mention this part nor show it on the parts diagram. As far as I can figure out, this is a completely pointless part as it doesn't seem to actually do anything. Nothing locks or unlocks or is triggered by this. What the hell does it do?

2) The section of the focusing rail that's geared to the focusing knobs is slightly loose in its ways. This allows the whole front standard of the camera (since it's attached to the focusing rail system) to rattle around even after the locks are tightened on the focusing rails. It also makes an unpleasant shrieking noise if the rail is extended at moderate speed Is there a gib adjustment anywhere on the bed of the camera to tighten up the fit of the ways?

3) The pinch-lock that holds the front standard to the focusing rail is EXTREMELY stiff. Squeezing it hard enough to get it to let go of the rail and slide leaves dents in my finger and thumb. One of the two tabs you pinch together only moves a 1-2mm while the other one moves 10-12mm. Is this normal?

Thanks as always.

Bob Salomon
14-Aug-2017, 18:38
1 the lock to release the revolving back.
2 and 3 contact Bob Watkins at in Niles, IL. He is the factory service center. He owns Precision Camera.

williaty
14-Aug-2017, 18:40
1 the lock to release the revolving back.
2 and 3 contact Bob Watkins at in Niles, IL. He is the factory service center. He owns Precision Camera.

Bob, regarding question #1, that little tab doesn't have any effect on how easy or difficult it is to revolve the back. That was the first thing I thought of but it doesn't seem connected in any way to the revolving mechanism. The back does require more force to revolve than my Toyo 45GII does, though.

AJ Edmondson
14-Aug-2017, 19:01
You are correct... the lever does nothing. I seem to recall that years ago there was some function associated with certain models for this but I cannot recall now what it was. As for the slop in the rail, there are three "levers" (two on the left side and one on the right) which lock the rails. Swinging them to the outboard position locks them, turning them parallel to the rails frees them. The lever adjacent to the focus knob on the right side locks the knob. As for the "pinch mechanism" - it is normal that only one side moves significantly and every one of them that I have ever handled was "stiff." (The spring is a pretty hefty spring.)
Joel

williaty
14-Aug-2017, 19:02
You are correct... the lever does nothing. I seem to recall that years ago there was some function associated with certain models for this but I cannot recall now what it was. As for the slop in the rail, there are three "levers" (two on the left side and one on the right) which lock the rails. Swinging them to the outboard position locks them, turning them parallel to the rails frees them. The lever adjacent to the focus knob on the right side locks the knob. As for the "pinch mechanism" - it is normal that only one side moves significantly and every one of them that I have ever handled was "stiff." (The spring is a pretty hefty spring.)
Joel

AJ, the play I'm speaking of remains even when the levers are locked. The levers arrest the forwards-backwards slide of the rails but don't fix the looseness I'm wondering about.

AJ Edmondson
14-Aug-2017, 19:10
To better clarify (maybe), the two locks on the left lock the short section the front standard attaches to. If you have additional questions, PM me and I will see if I can help. The SP is a good camera but requires some getting accustomed to and the manual is a joke. You would have thought that, after this many years in production it would have been edited.
Joel

AJ Edmondson
14-Aug-2017, 19:15
OK... I will check tomorrow to see if there is an adjustment (it has been so long since I have dismantled one that I can't remember). That amount of free-play isn't normal as it should lock down solid - and there shouldn't be any squeal.
Joel

JimL
14-Aug-2017, 19:42
You can tighten the ways by loosening the clamping screws on one of the dovetails, holding it with a bit of inward pressure and retightening. The vibration is probably from sticky old grease, so cleaning that off and applying a thin film of fresh grease will probably help.