PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use a Berlebach 8023 with an 8x10?

ericantonio
14-Aug-2017, 09:47
I have a Kodak Master View and getting tired of my gigantic old Bogen studio tripod. I would need a lot more steroids on long walks with that thing. Someone locally is selling a Berlebach 8023 and I have the Gitzo low profile or maybe the model below that one.

Will the 8023 hold that pretty good? Not going to Antartic or Salinas Valley (WINDY!!!), just your basic hiking around kinda thing. Probably try to hold it own with a hook and a bag.

Luis-F-S
14-Aug-2017, 10:18
Nope I use a Ries. Much sturdier than my Berlebach.

Jim Noel
14-Aug-2017, 10:28
I wouldn't even put lightweight (8lb) camera on a Berlebach

ericantonio
14-Aug-2017, 10:31
Nope I use a Ries. Much sturdier than my Berlebach.

Thanks! The guy txted me back and said it was still available. Just googled the specs, said it was 21 lb limit. I don't seem to know how heavy the Master View is right now. I don't even have a scale at home! :)

David Lobato
14-Aug-2017, 10:39
That Berlebach looks okay for medium format but too light for an 8x10.

ericantonio
14-Aug-2017, 10:39
I wouldn't even put lightweight (8lb) camera on a Berlebach

Thanks! Googling around says the MasterView is ~10Kg, and max capacity of the 8023 is 10kg. Oh well. Looked like a great price. Maybe I should look into a carbon fiber

Jac@stafford.net
14-Aug-2017, 14:03
No. The tripod is borderline. Go for heavier.

ericantonio
14-Aug-2017, 14:29
No. The tripod is borderline. Go for heavier.

I actually don't mind the tripod I have now, it's just that it's darn heavy and I want to (have dreams) of carrying it around somewhere. Right now, I have a jogging stroller that I carry it on. But my dog (English Bulldog) thinks it's hers now and has dog hair all over it. No bueno around film holders.

I was thinking of looking for one of those golf bag carts on craigslist, you know the ones with 3 wheels.

I'm also thinking about the f.64 bag and carrying a tripod. There are some magnificent heights here in SoCal that I mountain bike in and would love to be able to carry my 8x10 up there. I think a jogging stroller or a golf rolling cart will not make it. Just doing the homework now on what I can take with me.

mdarnton
14-Aug-2017, 16:22
Thanks! Googling around says the MasterView is ~10Kg, and max capacity of the 8023 is 10kg. Oh well. Looked like a great price. Maybe I should look into a carbon fiber

Are you sure you got that right and you didn't get your units mixed up? I could see 10 pounds for the Master View, but 10KG is 22 pounds, and not even the Calumet C1 approaches that.

My Manfrotto 055 supposedly holds almost 20 pounds, and the 3047 head specs OK for my 8x10 in theory. I can put my Ansco view (12 pounds) on it and as long as I keep the centerpost down (which is the structural weak spot, I think) it will work in my house, but I'm less confident in it providing a stable base with a little wind. I suspect, anyway, that the issue with any tripod of substance has less to do with gross capacity before collapse, and more to do with vibration, and that most of that problem in a normal tripod has to do with what's happening at the top. I have hardly better stability with a massive crutch-legged Bogen with their largest 3057? head, and I think that's all about what's going on around the neck, not the legs.

The Ries doesn't have any neck at all, right? The camera sits right on the platform that the legs attach to. That's got to be the most stable plan, I would think.

Fred L
14-Aug-2017, 17:28
I have an 8023 (discontinued) as a back/ spare for friends and no way in hell would I put an 8x0 on those sticks. My cameras sit on Ries J or A series tripods.

Mark Sampson
14-Aug-2017, 17:54
The 8x10 KMV weighs 13lb. Add a lens and your'e talking 16-17 lb. So choose a tripod with a rated weight of at least 20lb. We used a long-discontinued Quick-Set "Samson" for the KMV we had at Kodak, or sometimes a Majestic.

Luis-F-S
14-Aug-2017, 18:00
Majestic tripds are sturdy and cheap enough used, the trick is to find one with a 3/8 camera screw! Way more economical than a Ries. I should know, I have 3 Ries! L

ericantonio
14-Aug-2017, 21:27
Are you sure you got that right and you didn't get your units mixed up? I could see 10 pounds for the Master View, but 10KG is 22 pounds, and not even the Calumet C1 approaches that.

Oh the C1, yeah, I've worked in studios with those. I think I still have some scars from getting hooked on the sharp edges.

You are right though, the master view is about 10 lbs not 10Kg!!!

The 8023 Ries is rated 10kg or 21lbs. So I should look for a lightweight tripod that can do 29'ish pounds?

I think my Bogen is a 3047 or something like that. I usually carry it over my shoulder. I was thinking of getting a pic of the "Hollywood" sign and then I was like "yeah, no, not with that Bogen....

brucetaylor
14-Aug-2017, 21:47
The Berlebach Report 2 stage tripod is rated to 26 lbs. I have one, no center column. It's pretty sturdy with a Deardorff v8 and an ordinary 12" lens, which should be similar to your KMV. I use a Gitzo 3 way head on it or no head at all. Mine has the leveling ball. I think it's a good value and not that heavy to carry around.