PDA

View Full Version : 10x8 Instant from Impossible

Toyo45FieldCam
14-Aug-2017, 02:10
Dear Forum, Has anyone used the 10x8 instant products from Impossible? Either Col or Mono? I would be interested in hearing any information before I take the plunge. Thanks Tim

AtlantaTerry
14-Aug-2017, 02:33
Does that film need a machine for processing or is it peel-apart?

I ask because (if I remember correctly) when Polaroid was making their 8x10" instant film, one had to use a machine for processing it.

Charles S
14-Aug-2017, 04:40
It needs a processing machine

Toyo45FieldCam
15-Aug-2017, 04:01
Yes, reply from Charles S is correct. It needs a large (electric powered) processor. I used to have one, but sold when Polaroid, and the materials vanished. The 10x8 material from Impossible presumably works in the same way, a neg in a sleeve that you load into a polaroid film holder, which was a side opening single darkslide.
Exposed then placed into a loading tray along with a sheet of polaroid pos paper, both are then dragged through a set of powered rollers to the other side of the processor to be peeled apart manually like a smaller format instant print.
I believe Calumet made a manual 'field' version that you can hand crank the materials through. I saw one on ebay for $1000 (!). So I know the process but not how the Impossible product actually performs, other than their own info. It's an expensive option so I wanted to find out more before spending on a processor again. ATB Tim

Fred L
15-Aug-2017, 04:46
While the IP 8x10 film can be peeled apart. I found peeling was tricky and you cld leave some emulsion behind. The image is reversed if left unpeeled but if you want correct orientation or to do lifts, then you need to peel.

I have the powered and manual processors and found the manual one, while great for working in the field, was not as consistent as the electric one. You needed a steady rhythm while cranking the rollers or else there might be marks where one slowed down or hesitated.

It's a pricey product but it's the only thing of its kind out there, notwithstanding expired Polaroid product.

Drew Bedo
15-Aug-2017, 15:49
Spiratone used to sell a front mounted 90Deg mirror that will re-reverse the image.

"Circo-Mirro-Tach" or something similar I think they called it.

dannirr
15-Aug-2017, 17:22
Fred - are you saying that you no longer peel them apart? I just started with these today.

Fred L
15-Aug-2017, 17:37
well you cld peel if you wanted to, but otherwise, leave them as they come out of the processor, if you're ok with flipped orientation.

Charles S
15-Aug-2017, 22:44
I scan the image and flip it in PS

dannirr
16-Aug-2017, 17:55
Peeling it does nothing for the reversed image. It is purely for image stability and to reduce the risk go humidity ruining the image before it is fully dry. I asked if you leave it unpeeled as I was interested in the long term outcome of the image

Toyo45FieldCam
17-Aug-2017, 03:20
Hi Fred /Dannir.

Yes , good question. Not having actually seen an actual Impossible 10x8 pack I just assumed it was like the it's Polaroid predecessor.
IE two components. A neg in a sleeve, loaded into a holder, then manually sandwiched with a sheet of paper before processing.
So is Impossible just one sheet with chemistry attached? Exposed then processed as per Polaroid? hence the reversed image?
Thanks Tim

Fred L
17-Aug-2017, 04:21
There are still two components similar to the Polaroid film but the IP doesn't get peeled (unless you want to lift or flip). The difference is that the IP receiver sheet is a transparent film that the image is transferred onto, hence the flipped orientation, (or sandwiched with) vs Polaroid's paper receiver.

I've edited a previous post where I mistakenly called it integral, which it's obviously not. I meant to say that what comes out of the processor is the final product, for many users. That it can be peeled is a bonus (like lifts with previous Polaroid films for example).

dannirr
17-Aug-2017, 19:23
Fred - you are incorrect. Peeling Impossible film will not allow you to flip the image unless you do an emulsion lift. When you peel it apart, you are left with a non transparent image with a solid white backing. The documentation that Impossible provides instruct you to peel it apart to aid drying and prevent degradation of the image from humidity. The only way they suggest not peeling it apart is to "dry age" it - by sealing it in an envelope with desiccant for a month.

axs810
18-Aug-2017, 17:00
I shot some of the 8x10 Impossible Project Color film and got decent results from running it through the processor and then sticking it in a tub of rice for a month. Color is exactly the same as when it was processed. I didn't like peeling it apart because some of the emulsion can get "thinner" or more transparent if not peeled correctly.

If I didn't put the polaroid in a container with rice I noticed the blacks get cooler and the highlights get a little magenta

Fred L
18-Aug-2017, 18:52
When I peel, I flip it over and place it onto another backing (or same sheet) or hang it as is. Emulsion is now facing out but if dried shld be fine. Haven' checked on peels I've done in the past. Hope that makes sense.

Fred L
18-Aug-2017, 18:55
Fred - you are incorrect. Peeling Impossible film will not allow you to flip the image unless you do an emulsion lift. When you peel it apart, you are left with a non transparent image with a solid white backing. The documentation that Impossible provides instruct you to peel it apart to aid drying and prevent degradation of the image from humidity. The only way they suggest not peeling it apart is to "dry age" it - by sealing it in an envelope with desiccant for a month.

That's odd, I remember peels resulting in a transparent film with the exposed image on it. But regardless, one tends to lose a bit of emulsion.

this video explains it better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4mNEluAOzgA

dannirr
18-Aug-2017, 20:00
Well Fred,. that video does show that you can flip it after peeling - I have to say, the few I've done (about 10) all peeled with most the white stuff coming up with the peel! I must need better technique.

Fred L
19-Aug-2017, 15:02
haha, when I did my first peels, it was brutal. tried leaving it longer etc., haven't tried the hair dryer trick yet. I'd try more but at about $20 per sheet, I'm nervous about it lol