PDA

View Full Version : Efke film peculiarity

dentkimterry
7-Aug-2017, 13:28
I'm just getting started with my newly aquired 11x14 outfit. Loaded some Efke film that came with it into a holder and out the door I went. After I took the first shot I realized the film holder wasn't fully inserted and that it took an extra effort to do so. No big deal. Maybe the shot could be salvaged if not much was light struck. Took a second shot, packed up and headed home. Anxious to see the results I headed right for the darkroom. Opened the film holder and pulled the film out and what! There was a piece of paper covering the film! Flipped the holder over and same thing on the other side. I had never heard about not read anything about Efke putting a piece of paper between each piece of film in the box... So nicely packaged I couldn't tell it was there. Oh well. Reloaded the holder and I'll try again tomorrow.

Jac@stafford.net
7-Aug-2017, 13:34
Yes, it should be a regular practice to find if there are separation sheets. I learned the hard way.
Best of luck with your next attempt. We learn the hard way. ;0

AtlantaTerry
7-Aug-2017, 18:30
Thin paper interleaved between sheets of film is the standard. I would be more surprised of there were none.

Corran
7-Aug-2017, 19:33
Efke film is the only film I have ever used that has paper between the sheets. It threw me off the first time too. All the Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford film I've shot have no paper. Maybe they did at one time?

Sal Santamaura
7-Aug-2017, 20:52
...All the Kodak, Fuji, and Ilford film I've shot have no paper. Maybe they did at one time?I've only been at this (LF) since the early 1980s, but never encountered Kodak or Fuji sheet film with interleaving paper. However, just under 20 years ago when I first tried Ilford, it did come with paper interleaves. That ended soon after, probably coincident with Ilford improving its emulsion hardening. Efke apparently stuck with soft, easily-scratched emulsion right up to the end. :)

brouwerkent
7-Aug-2017, 20:55
Shanghai uses interleaving sheets... Great film by the way...though price has gone up so much...it is hard to justify now. Used to be really cheap. Many older sheet films used interleaving sheets. I have however been shooting large format since the 60s...so times change.

Cheers

Phil

Michael Graves
8-Aug-2017, 06:02
Yes, it should be a regular practice to find if there are separation sheets. I learned the hard way.
Best of luck with your next attempt. We learn the hard way. ;0

Didn't we all?

barnacle
8-Aug-2017, 10:15
Indeed. Many of my best photos are on the separator sheets. That's my argument and I'm sticking to it :)

Neil

W K Longcor
8-Aug-2017, 10:45
Yes, Kodak DID have paper sheets between the films at one time --a long time ago. Seems to me that Ansco did, too.

dentkimterry
8-Aug-2017, 12:34
Thanks for the info and stories gentleman! I didn't waste any time or chemicals with the film. Just chalking it up to experience. It will be fun having a couple of pieces of 11x14 film I can show people. "My camera takes film this big!"
Terry

EdWorkman
9-Aug-2017, 08:22
I gather I'm lucky to have started in the 'good old days'
But how did you folks miss feeling the extra piece? Gloves?
regards
Ed

barnacle
10-Aug-2017, 14:03
But how did you folks miss feeling the extra piece?

Years of practice and self denial.

Neil

dentkimterry
10-Aug-2017, 15:37
I gather I'm lucky to have started in the 'good old days'
But how did you folks miss feeling the extra piece? Gloves?
regards
Ed

#1 I wasn't expecting it!
#2 The film and paper were stuck together like 2 freshly printed dollar bills!
Terry