PDA

View Full Version : Nikor Enlarger vs. Omege series D

Misty
8-Jul-2005, 11:04
Hello:) I am new to the wonderful world of large format phogotography and was wondering if anywone knew what type and model of enlarger I should get. Many say Omega series D enlargers are good. Right now, however I have a deal to get a Honeywell Nikor (not Nikkor) System 6x7 enlarger with 17 3/4" x 17 3/4" base. This system comes complete with-- everything-- needed in a dark room for a reasonable price. Since I am a beginner I am currently working with 4x5 negatives ...I am planning on printing them no bigger than 8x10. Is this a flexible enough system for me or only good for a while being only necessary for my current "beginner" wants and "needs" as most often I will be working no bigger than 8x10 but would sometimes like to go bigger. Is this system what I need?

Nick_3536
8-Jul-2005, 11:06
A 6x7 enlarger is limited to 6x7 negatives. You want a 4x5 enlarger or bigger to handle 4x5 negatives. A bigger enlarger can usually handle smaller negatives but the other way doesn't work.

Oren Grad
8-Jul-2005, 11:19
"6x7" refers to 6x7 centimeters, but "4x5" is 4x5 inches, so, illogical though it may seem at first, a 4x5 negative won't fit in a 6x7 enlarger.

Yes, it's confusing if you're just starting out...

Misty
8-Jul-2005, 11:19
I was wondering that:) The seller said it could fit that format but I would have to have a 4x5 negative carrier. Is there a specific 4x5 enlarger that is recommended? I know "omega" but I need something more specific like what it the model or type? Anywthing in the Omega D series, what about Beseler?

Misty
8-Jul-2005, 11:21
Once again the seller said the 4x5 format would fit with the enlarger if I had the right negative carrier is this incorrect?

Bob Salomon
8-Jul-2005, 11:29
4x5" film can not fit into a 2.25 x 2.75" (6x7cm) enlarger regardless of the carrier.

45 enlargers are available from Omega, Beseler, Durst, Fujimoto, Homerich, LPL and a few others. Honeywell never had any 4x5" units.

Ted Harris
8-Jul-2005, 11:29
Misty, with due respect to your seller, I suspect they don't know what they are talking about. Further, I do not recall that Honeywell ever manufactured or marketed a 4x5 enlarger. IMO your best choices are Durst and Saunders followed by Omega. I find both the Durst and Saunders enlargers are much solider than most of the Omega's you see on the used market. You will also find fabulous deals on used enlargers. For example, I know where there is a Durst Laborator complete with all the condensers for 5x7, 4x5, 6x7, 6x9, 6x6 and 35mm, 3 lenses, an Aristo cold light head and a variable format negative carrier for $400 (and it can probably be had for less) ... this for a machine that cost many thousands new ...and this isn't even used, it is a demo.

Oren Grad
8-Jul-2005, 11:30
It is incorrect. A 4x5" negative will not fit in the Nikor 6x7 enlarger. There's no negative carrier for it, because it's too big for that enlarger.

There are many 4x5 enlargers available. Among the more commonly seen are the Omega D-series, Beseler 45M and 45V series, and LPL (or Saunders-LPL) 4500 series enlargers. Within these series there are many specific models available.

This system comes complete with-- everything-- needed in a dark room for a reasonable price.

You should know that in general, used darkroom equipment is very inexpensive these days. It would be a good idea to do a bit more homework before you spend any money, so that you can be more confident that you're spending your money wisely and will get what you really need at a fair price.

Nick Morris
8-Jul-2005, 11:45
Hello, and welcome to LF.
Most enlargers are named in a way that the largest negative they will handle is in the name or model designation. D series Omega enlargers can accomodate 4x5 negatives. The way you have described the enlarger in your post would indicate that 120 film is the extent of its capability. I am not familar with a Honeywell 4x5 enlarger, and would recommend going with the Omega or a Bressler if your are looking for a good used enlarger. I have, and have been very pleased with an Omega D2V. The "V" denotes the enlarger having a varible condenser, which is adjusted for different focal length lenses, used with different size negatives. I use my enlarger with 35mm, 120, and 4x5 negatives. With a D2 not having a varible condenser, different condenser sets are needed for each format.
If the Honeywell is truly capable of enlarging 4x5 negatives, but the seller does not have the negative carrier for 4x5, be aware that it may be very difficult to locate one.

Misty
8-Jul-2005, 11:55
GREAT RESPONSES:) Really much help. I hope to hear more...thanks to everyone.

Sooo what type of Beseler/ Saunder/ Omega model-type should I look at. I have already a few responses giving specific titles and names--anymore recommeded specifics would be great b/c I know not all omega/ besler/ saunder model types are made for large format. Oh and with the 4x5 format enlargers can they be adjustable to go bigger? What specific model-types are flexible to go bigger Thanks:)

Nick_3536
8-Jul-2005, 12:08
Omega D handle 4x5
Beseler 45 handle 4x5 plus the older CB7. The CB is much rarer.

The Beseler can take an 8x10 head but the cost of the Beseler 8x10 head is pretty high.

http://www.khbphotografix.com/omega/

Look that over.

Eric Biggerstaff
8-Jul-2005, 14:17
Misty,

I like the Saunders - LPL series, easy to use, solid, etc. The 4500 is a great model that is economical and small enough to fit into limited space. The upgrade model (4550?) has a longer center column and a more powerful lamp. I have used the 4500 for many years and have been very pleased. You can get different light sources depending on if you want to make color enlargements or strictly B&W. I use the VCCE head for variable contrast B&W printing.

Based on your third posting my suggestion however is that you decide on a format (film size) and stick with it for a while, 4X5 is the most popular. Another nice way to go would be to purcahse an 8X10 camera and make contact prints(there are a lot of people on this site who can help you with that). If you really want to go larger than 4X5 film, then choose an enlarger for the maximum size film you want to use remembering also that the space required in the darkroom will increase with the film size. I have a nice sized dedicated darkroom but it can't handle a really big enlarger so 4X5 works great for me.

I hope you have fun with LF and stick with it. It can be confusing at first but you have found a great source of information here. There are many talented photographers who contribute to this site and they are a wealth of information; so welcome to LF!

Oren Grad
8-Jul-2005, 14:33
I've used an LPL 4500 for more than 10 years, and I agree with Eric that it's a good choice. The Omega and Beseler systems offer somewhat greater flexibility in theory but are also more complex in their design, and can be fussier in configuration and maintenance. The LPL is simple in design, smooth and straightforward in operation, will meet the needs of most users and be especially "friendly" for a beginner.

There are enlargers for larger formats, such as 5x7, 8x10 and beyond, but they are less easy to find and tend to be disproportionately large and heavy, hence a big hassle and expense to move into your darkroom and set up, even if you have the space for it. Many people active in large format use an enlarger for formats up to 4x5 and make contact prints (or scan and make inkjet prints) from larger formats.

bob carnie
8-Jul-2005, 16:37
Misty
I prefer the omega enlarger over all others, I have 15 of them with different heads , diffusion, cold and condensor as well you can get a point light source to go with it.
It is easy to set up, align and maintain. I highly recommend Omega.
for larger formats I have durst 8x10s, colour and condensor, they are built like tanks, as well 11xs14 deveere,
If you can get your hands on a 4x5 omega, durst or deveere you will be set up for life.
keep looking as others have said.

Bill_1856
8-Jul-2005, 17:40
Forget the enlarger. Get a scanner which will do your 4x5 negatives, like the Epson 4990.

Gene Crumpler
8-Jul-2005, 19:00
I recently got an Omega D with a nearly new 135 el-nikkor for $200. No shipping as I was able to get it locally. I know several people who are trying to sell 4x5 enlargers. Shipping is a lot. It took both me and my wife to move the Omega from my car to my darkroom. I was lucky in my purchase, as the enlarger was in use and had not been stored.

Alignment is perfect.

Paul Butzi
8-Jul-2005, 19:23
I see at least one response suggesting buying a scanner and scanning and printing your 4x5 negatives digitally.

I print my 4x5's digitally, scanning the negatives on a Microtek 1800f scanner and printing on an Epson 9600 inkjet printer.

But I think you would find that you'll learn to be a better printer faster, if you start out doing it all in a conventional darkroom before trying it digitally assuming you want to do B&W.

If you want to do color, I'd agree - go digital.

Misty
9-Jul-2005, 10:51
Thankyou for your replies it has been much help--I am sad to say I wish this system setup came with the 4x5 enlarger that I need as it comes with everything else (I mean everything). It has opened my eyes though to what to look for and being a beginnering this forum is quite the treasure. THANKS EVERYONE:)

Sanders McNew
10-Jul-2005, 01:36
I am in the market for a 4x5 enlarger, preferably with a cold/diffusion head. If anyone has one in the NYC area to spare, please contact me.

Best,

Sanders McNew

www.mcnew.net