PDA

View Full Version : 375mm caltar elements?

ericantonio
4-Aug-2017, 09:13
Hi guys,
Currently at that auction site, there is a 375mm Caltar but just the element. Question: I don't know much about lenses, but shouldn't there be 2 pieces? One in the back and one in the front? There's only 1 piece in the auction.

Next, if only one piece, it should screw right into my #5 Ilex commercial ektar shutter right?

Mark Sampson
4-Aug-2017, 10:32
That's a Tessar-formula lens from the 60s-70s, and a very good one, too. Definitely has two cells, front and back. The Ilex #5 was the standard shutter for these but if you don't have both cells, it's a paperweight at best.

ericantonio
4-Aug-2017, 10:36
That's a Tessar-formula lens from the 60s-70s, and a very good one, too. Definitely has two cells, front and back. The Ilex #5 was the standard shutter for these but if you don't have both cells, it's a paperweight at best.

Thanks so much!!! And in hindsight, I think my commercial ektar 12" is on a #3 acme so I was completely wrong. I really should take a digi pic of all my crap so i can have some inventory.

Jim Galli
4-Aug-2017, 13:07
Kodak Ektar Ilex threads were often different from other Ilex shutters. Kodak's were proprietary to Kodak.

morecfm
4-Aug-2017, 13:46
KEH has this lens on their site right now in EX condition. Not affiliated with KEH, but a satisfied customer. YMMV

Mark Sampson
4-Aug-2017, 15:19
The 8-1/2" Commercial Ektar usually came in an Ilex Acme #3 shutter. 10" and 12" versions are generally seen in a #4 size. The Ilex-Caltar the OP mentions was introduced by Ilex after Kodak discontinued the LF Ektar lens line in the mid-60s. I don't know how the mounts compare, although I've happily used lenses from both manufacturers.