PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Rodenstock Sironar N MC 360mm F6.8

MaximumFu
31-Jul-2017, 14:05
Considering getting this as my first lens for a new 8x10 kit (my first LF kit). Interested in thoughts about this lens, whether this is a good first lens for an 8x10 kit, whether this is a good fit for a field camera (8x10 Canham traditional wood, etc.). Basically, would love to hear any and all feedback about this lens!

-Matt

Armin Seeholzer
31-Jul-2017, 14:24
To heavy for the most field cameras in my opinion, I have the lens but for my Sinar P in studio use! For my field use I prefer the APO Ronar f 9 360mm has not so much covering power, but its much smaller and not so heavy and big!

My personal opinion, Armin

AJ Edmondson
31-Jul-2017, 14:35
Other than the fact that it is pretty large and slightly long for the 8x10 (305mm is generally construed as the "normal" fl for 8x10) there should be little to complain about. For field use you might want to look at one of the 305mm f9 lenses (G-Claron, Nikon, etc). Filter size is also a consideration. The Copal 3 shutters are pretty large compared to the Copal 1 shutters. In nearly fifty years of photographing in the field with 8x10 I very rarely used anything longer than 305mm and very often used either the 305 or a 210 Angulon despite having both 360 and 508mm lenses. Opinions will vary and there is nothing wrong with that but on a Canham Traditional I would be much happier with a 305 G-Claron in a Copal 1.
Joel

MaximumFu
31-Jul-2017, 15:09
...I would be much happier with a 305 G-Claron in a Copal 1.

That was the recommendation given to me. Having a VERY difficult time finding one, which is why I started to look at alternatives. For reference, as I mentioned, this is my first LF kit. I shoot almost exclusively B+W. Most of my work is outdoors, but is city-based and involves little to no outdoors hiking or remote access. Cost is, within reason, not the issue. Given all that, completely open to other suggestions as well. And anyone that wants to help me find a G-Claron is also my new best friend... :)

Pere Casals
31-Jul-2017, 16:15
Considering getting this as my first lens for a new 8x10 kit (my first LF kit). Interested in thoughts about this lens, whether this is a good first lens for an 8x10 kit, whether this is a good fit for a field camera (8x10 Canham traditional wood, etc.). Basically, would love to hear any and all feedback about this lens!

-Matt

It is an extraordinary lens, it can be recomended. I've a Sironar N 300 and I use it for field, I'm really happy with it.

It is true that is not light, as hiking glasses can save 1Kg in your bag pack, if this 1Kg is important or not it is something you have to decide. But that 360 MC is also a perfect lens for 8x10 portraits.

For the field perhaps you may consider the 300mm version, for landscapes it is a bit wider, and you always can crop from 8x10 with no image quality concern. The 300 is also cheaper and 0.5Kg lighter.

I'd pick the 360mm only if I was also planning to use it for portraits, to me the 360mm is a magic focal length for 8x10 portraits.

Regards

PD: This MC version has a very good multicoating, this is a major technical advantage aganist other options, in special if sun is in the framming.

Anyway some old glasses that are not as technically perfect may have a footprint that a photographer my want.

Luis-F-S
31-Jul-2017, 18:48
I'd get either a 305 G-Claron or a 12" Dagor as my first lens. My Dagor is my most used 8x10 lens. I have a Sironar N 300 and have never used it. Too heavy, I always reach for the Dagor. Two G-C on the Auction site as well as a 270 G-C right now.

John Olsen
31-Jul-2017, 19:02
Love the 360mm's over the last 45 years. First two got exploded and the 3rd got stolen (That's life in New Mexico), but I'm happy with my Rodenstock 360 now. Attached is from a few months ago:

neil poulsen
1-Aug-2017, 10:31
Love the 360mm's over the last 45 years. First two got exploded and the 3rd got stolen (That's life in New Mexico), but I'm happy with my Rodenstock 360 now. Attached is from a few months ago:

Exploded? (Just curious.)

neil poulsen
1-Aug-2017, 10:42
If interested in 360mm range, which would be my first lens, consider the 355mm G-Claron. It's an excellent lens that's quite a bit smaller and lighter. It has ample coverage for 8x10.