PDA

View Full Version : What happened when I mixed ID-11 (calling on ID-11 users)

Peter Collins
27-Jul-2017, 16:17
I mixed up a 5-L volume of ID-11 a few days ago. This was the first time with ID-11. Mixed at 40 C (104 F). When fully mixed per instructions for Parts A and B, I noticed that the solution had a very slight brown tint. Very slight, but the kind of brown color that I associate with developer oxidation, as with D-76. Does this happen to you?

(We recently had an arsenic removal system installed to treat the water to the whole house. This system uses entrained air in one of the processes. If no one else reading this finds their freshly mixed ID-11 ever-so-slightly brown, I probably should conclude that I didn't let the water de-gas sufficiently.)

Thank you for the help! This is a great site!

Bernard_L
28-Jul-2017, 00:24
You can actively de-gas the water by heating it to ~80°C. Whatever that is in your local units.

mpirie
28-Jul-2017, 00:38
Yes, when i mix ID-11 in 5l quantities, it does have a slight brown colour, so I'd say this was quite normal.

bob carnie
28-Jul-2017, 06:07
Honestly I cannot say but one test will tell you by putting a roll through the process.
I used d76 for 35 years and switched to ID 11 and I found them identical.. I do know the Developer Container 20 litre is stained brown over years of use.

I think you will be ok. I think its a great all round developer.

Brett Rogers
28-Jul-2017, 06:37
I mixed up a 5-L volume of ID-11 a few days ago. This was the first time with ID-11. Mixed at 40 C (104 F). When fully mixed per instructions for Parts A and B, I noticed that the solution had a very slight brown tint. Very slight, but the kind of brown color that I associate with developer oxidation, as with D-76. Does this happen to you?

(We recently had an arsenic removal system installed to treat the water to the whole house. This system uses entrained air in one of the processes. If no one else reading this finds their freshly mixed ID-11 ever-so-slightly brown, I probably should conclude that I didn't let the water de-gas sufficiently.)

Thank you for the help! This is a great site!
Sounds completely normal. I've processed hundreds of rolls with ID-11 and mixed up many batches. It's not crystal clear like water when mixed. There's a very slight pale yellow or yellow/brown tint to it. Keep it in air free containers in a dark place, and it will be fine to use for six months or more.
Cheers
Brett

Charlie Strack
28-Jul-2017, 10:00
I've rarely used D76, but when I did it had a brown tinge to it when freshly mixed--I'd say this is normal. If I recall, Dektol does, too. Maybe it's typical of MQ developers? I've tended more to use liquid concentrates in the past, and now, mixed from raw chemicals. I always use distilled water for developers, now.

David Karp
28-Jul-2017, 10:33
Its not D-76 or ID-11, but I just mixed up a batch of Divided D-23. When I dropped the Metol (which is also in D-76 and ID-11) into the water, it turned brown and slowly faded to a sort of light yellow/amber color.

Martin Aislabie
28-Jul-2017, 14:02
I've been mixing ID11 for over 30 years and the colour of fresh ID11 seems to change slightly with every batch.

A pale tan colour is nothing to be concerned about.

Martin

Dean Wilmot
3-Mar-2020, 20:37
Hi all, moving off subject slightly but couldn’t find an appropriate place to start on the forum. Is anyone using ID11 mixed from stock at 1:3 processing in a jobo CPP3 in expert 3010 drums for 4x5 and/or 2521 and 2553 tanks for 120?
If so what is the minimum volume of film per roll or sheet for each relevant tank at this dilution ratio? And for multiple rolls/sheets ?
I’m currently using 500mls for one roll 120 in the 2521 tank which is ok but 1000mls for two rolls and I’m getting overflow out of the tank when dev is run through the jobo lift.
I’ve yet to start processing 4x5 but will do so very soon.
Jobo states volumes on tanks ( which aren’t for all developers at various mixing ratios) but without wasting film to determine what is correct hoping for some advise.
I’ve contacted jobo who said contact Ilford, who have not replied.
Thanks for any help
Regards Dean Wilmot

LabRat
3-Mar-2020, 22:39
I've been mixing ID11 for over 30 years and the colour of fresh ID11 seems to change slightly with every batch.

A pale tan colour is nothing to be concerned about.

Martin

Most off the shelf MQ developers will mix with some color due to some oxidation... A pinch of sodium sulfite in the dilution or mixing water reduces it by getting rid of free oxygen in the solution...

Steve K